Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My main problem with the game is that you are essentially irrelevant to the story.

Your character is important to be sure, but nothing you do actually has any appreciable effect in any way beyond the direct "I missed this clue so I can't tell this person he is lying, I just have to chase him now instead."

I'm comparing it to Heavy Rain in my mind because it kind of has that feel to it, but it fails where I think Heavy Rain succeeded. At least in Heavy Rain if you failed, you either recovered in some reasonable way and gave it another shot, or your failure actually mattered, it changed something. Sure, the game was essentially the same, with 4 characters and the killer is always X, but nothing else was really set in stone. In LA Noire nothing you do matters, you could have no evidence and have no idea who it is because you asked all the wrong questions, but at the end of the day it will always be the same killer for each episode, and you will always catch him. The only time I ever actually failed something was when I accidentally drove my car onto a crime scene and contaminated everything, but it just took me to a loading screen and reset; leaving me to gather the same goddamn evidence and talk to the same goddamn witnesses. Even if I'm wrong in the Heavy Rain comparison, at least Heavy Rain left me with the illusion that what I did mattered.

Don't get me wrong, the game isn't bad. It's just that I see the potential there (the characters are amazing, not the back-stories or development, but the actual characters. They feel like real people with their mannerisms and habits.) and think that Rockstar kind of missed a great chance here

I'd recommend you at least check it out with a rent, even if you do really like the game I don't see any real replay value

Good game but the general shoot em up gaming population complains about it

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I wanna get it. I know its only been a day, but i know some of you have it and played it.

How is it? it looks really good even the next assassins creed game wants to use some of its technology. ASSASSINS CREED!
    I haven't tried it yet, but aparrently....

The latest PS3 firmware may be incompatible with a "few different games," including L.A. Noire, according to Rockstar.

On Rockstar's support site, a question was posed regarding PS3 systems turning themselves off when playing L.A. Noire.

"Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat," Rockstar responded.

"There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or 'Red Lighting' after having installed 3.61. This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off [after] anywhere between 30 mins use to two hours.

"We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed."

Rockstar said that the issue is primarily affecting "older 60GB and 80GB fat models".

3.61 is the latest firmware update for the PS3, released by Sony to make systems compatible with changes to PSN in response to the recent attacks. The firmware update is required to play games online or access any of the system's online capabilities.

...Taken from another thread which has the source in it (Another day another sony fail - thread title)

EDIT: It just seems like a 50's style detective game? IDK but the Mafia games were more my thing when it comes to games designed like that.
    Correct me if I'm wrong =)

10+ Year Old Account
    i have updated the front page with my opinion of the game along with suggestions and improvements i would love to see in the next game, duh i know the ppl who made the game arnt readying, but disscuss and add. im sure some people will put up atleast what they want on the L.A Noire website forums.

Deleted
    Boring as hell!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    My main problem with the game is that you are essentially irrelevant to the story.

Your character is important to be sure, but nothing you do actually has any appreciable effect in any way beyond the direct "I missed this clue so I can't tell this person he is lying, I just have to chase him now instead."

I'm comparing it to Heavy Rain in my mind because it kind of has that feel to it, but it fails where I think Heavy Rain succeeded. At least in Heavy Rain if you failed, you either recovered in some reasonable way and gave it another shot, or your failure actually mattered, it changed something. Sure, the game was essentially the same, with 4 characters and the killer is always X, but nothing else was really set in stone. In LA Noire nothing you do matters, you could have no evidence and have no idea who it is because you asked all the wrong questions, but at the end of the day it will always be the same killer for each episode, and you will always catch him. The only time I ever actually failed something was when I accidentally drove my car onto a crime scene and contaminated everything, but it just took me to a loading screen and reset; leaving me to gather the same goddamn evidence and talk to the same goddamn witnesses. Even if I'm wrong in the Heavy Rain comparison, at least Heavy Rain left me with the illusion that what I did mattered.

Don't get me wrong, the game isn't bad. It's just that I see the potential there (the characters are amazing, not the back-stories or development, but the actual characters. They feel like real people with their mannerisms and habits.) and think that Rockstar kind of missed a great chance here

I'd recommend you at least check it out with a rent, even if you do really like the game I don't see any real replay value
    If the game does that like you said, you just saved me from wasting money. The game looks amazing, but if you don't really have a true effect in game, that just really kills me. Probably due to an old Dungeons & Dragons DM who did that to the party, it never mattered what we did, the story for each section went exactly as the DM wanted it to, really kills the whole point of playing games like that.
    Start by assuming that everything you've ever known is a lie.....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeskies117 View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, but aparrently....

The latest PS3 firmware may be incompatible with a "few different games," including L.A. Noire, according to Rockstar.

On Rockstar's support site, a question was posed regarding PS3 systems turning themselves off when playing L.A. Noire.

"Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat," Rockstar responded.

"There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or 'Red Lighting' after having installed 3.61. This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off [after] anywhere between 30 mins use to two hours.

"We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed."

Rockstar said that the issue is primarily affecting "older 60GB and 80GB fat models".

3.61 is the latest firmware update for the PS3, released by Sony to make systems compatible with changes to PSN in response to the recent attacks. The firmware update is required to play games online or access any of the system's online capabilities.

...Taken from another thread which has the source in it (Another day another sony fail - thread title)

EDIT: It just seems like a 50's style detective game? IDK but the Mafia games were more my thing when it comes to games designed like that.
    Correct me if I'm wrong =)
    Wow, Sony just can't buy a win can they? It is basically exactly that. A detective, crime solving game base in post-WW2 Los Angeles.

I am thoroughly enjoying the game so far. The look of the game is absolutely incredible especially the facial detail that they put so much work into. My only gripe involving graphics is that nearly every woman has the same awful pulled back hair style and faces can get a little stretched looking when the person squints their eyes. With a little more fine tuning I can see that tech going into a lot of games in the future.

Gameplay is fun although slightly repetitive in spots. A lot of the time it feels like you are walking around waiting for the controller to vibrate when looking for clues. It gives you a respect for the differences in police work from those days compared to how you see it on crime dramas based in present times. Everything is so sterile now. Everyone wears gloves, no one touches anything by hand or moves objects. That is a lot less of a concern in the game as your character grabs pieces of evidences and manipulates them at will without the slightest concern about tampering with evidence or stands directly over a naked corpse and freely manipulates their extremities without using any sort of protection against damaging evidence. My only other complaint is that so far in the game you are basically solving crimes in an afternoon right after they find the body rather than it being a meticulous drawn out process although I suspect that that would be impossible to put into a successful video game.

It is a fun game that I would love to see expanded upon. I would love to see a game of a similar nature created to reflect modern criminology with all its technical advances.

3 simple words.

Fucking. Awesome. Game.

my gf actually bought it for me yesterday) its sick

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isrelplaya View Post
    my gf actually bought it for me yesterday) its sick
    ur girl friend is amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    my friend likes it a lot, but he didn't see replay in it so he rented it. But to give you an idea of how long the campaign could potentially be, the case contains three disks.

I assume the 3 discs is because of how hard it is on the engine (or something) to replicate the details in faces as well as the game does, but I've certainly gotten more out of say, my Oblivion single disc than I have on the two I've played so far of LA Noire.

I'd give the game a 9.5/10. It would have been a 10, but the lack of a manual save got reeeeeeeally annoying at times.

I'd say the reviews of about 8 to 8.5 are about right for my tastes.

I don't know though, it really is a solid game, but I'm not exactly enthused to go finish it. Maybe it's because the main character has absolutely no traits other than annoyingly righteous and war veteran. The opening scene where he kisses his wife goodbye as he drives to work is about the extent of what I know about the guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it looked cool when I first saw the commercial but when I saw that it was by Rockstar I decided I wouldn't buy it because GTA was dogshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    I thought it looked cool when I first saw the commercial but when I saw that it was by Rockstar I decided I wouldn't buy it because GTA was dogshit.
    Opinions as fact, sounds good to me!

Also, you can NOT rent it for $2 at Redbox. So nobody rent it, because GTA sucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    Opinions as fact, sounds good to me!

Also, you can NOT rent it for $2 at Redbox. So nobody rent it, because GTA sucked.
    Did I make you cry because I don't like your favorite game? Sorry lady.

If you never owned a console, or haven't in a few years. Buy one. Games like LA Noire, Assassin's Creed, Fable.. They're so so so so so much more fun on console.. Can't even describe it..

And the link on first page pretty much sums up how Xbox and Ps3 has equal graphics, some shots the xbox had better and some shots the ps3 had better. Don't really know if they made some of the xbox shots blurry, looked photoshoped because it's not like that for me, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Did I make you cry because I don't like your favorite game? Sorry lady.
    I haven't even played it. I just think you're an idiot.

I own both consoles, but I decided 360 because while the PS3 graphics may be slightly better, it's nothing I'd notice I'm sure. I much prefer the 360 controller, the Playstation controllers have always just been a bit small and weird to hold