Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    I see now, he has never played either game.
    yea its nothing like gta

10+ Year Old Account
    I love this game. I live close to LA so I have been there many times. I went on google earth street view and found many buildings in the downtown area are still there, not just the landmarks but also regular buildings that don't factor into the game.

One thing that bugged me throughout the game was the hats. Yes, all men in the 40s wore hats its true but they also always took them off when they were inside but this game never does that. It always struck me as odd to see the characters sitting in someone's living room or in a night club with their hats on. Most people of the day would have found that very rude.

I assume the hats are because the graphically shit hair stands out so much against the incredible faces

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I assume the hats are because the graphically shit hair stands out so much against the incredible faces
    So true. The hair is pretty horrible. Maybe they are working hard at making hair look as real as faces and skin now?

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    I thought it looked cool when I first saw the commercial but when I saw that it was by Rockstar I decided I wouldn't buy it because GTA was dogshit.
    Haters gonna hate.

i love the questioning part. i hit doubt then he flat out accuses the person. many lulz are had

---------- Post added 2011-05-24 at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Haters gonna hate.
    well gta 4 was ass compared to saints row 2. san andreas was the pinnacle of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachui View Post
    i love the questioning part. i hit doubt then he flat out accuses the person. many lulz are had

---------- Post added 2011-05-24 at 07:25 PM ----------

well gta 4 was ass compared to saints row 2. san andreas was the pinnacle of the series.
    Heh, the questioning thing is hilarious. Some woman said she was sitting at home all night. I called it a lie, and the dude just accuses her of planning the whole thing, and committing murder. I'm just sitting there thinking, "What... I didn't want to accuse her!"

10+ Year Old Account
    lol i love the questioning

some times its epic other times its silly

I know I probably need to play it more but after solving the first six crimes, I am finding it very difficult to do my usual 5-6 hour gaming marathons with this game. The flashbacks and the cut scenes are great and wildly entertaining. I love the cinematic nature of the game. The main character also plays Cosgrove in real life on Mad Men so it is a real treat to see someone familiar in the starring role. The proverbial buck stops there for me.

The game play consists of boring and monotonous forensic tasks that really start to wear thin around the 4th investigation. When I arrive at the crime scene, my trusty notebook in hand, I know exactly what is going to happen and how it’s going to happen. I’m going to look at various items on the ground praying that one happens to have writing on it. In either the right or left pocket of the victim, there will be a piece of paper. I don’t even want to know what the investigation would be like if the victim wasn’t walking around with incriminating evidence in their coat pocket.

Basically, anything with writing on it will be a huge breakthrough in the case. I’m reminded of the Fallen Idol investigation which can easily be figured out at the crime scene and even further at the props store.

The interrogations were an interesting novelty, but much like hoping for words scrawled across an item so I can jot something into my notebook, the novelty wore thin. Are these people lying to me? Can I prove it? Do I even care at this point? If I get one of four questions right the investigation will continue and I’ll still end up solving the crime in the eyes of the game. I won’t get an intuition point but I’m sure I’ll manage to scrounge one at some other point. Perhaps I’ll get the point when a clumsy bartender wears a lie on his sleeve by looking away and touching his face. I am falling asleep just thinking about it.

My question for everyone out there praising it as the finest achievement in video gaming history (lol), does this game get any better? Are the things I’ve talked about all I have to look forward to?

Quote Originally Posted by luckybeer View Post
    I know I probably need to play it more but after solving the first six crimes, I am finding it very difficult to do my usual 5-6 hour gaming marathons with this game. The flashbacks and the cut scenes are great and wildly entertaining. I love the cinematic nature of the game. The main character also plays Cosgrove in real life on Mad Men so it is a real treat to see someone familiar in the starring role. The proverbial buck stops there for me.

The game play consists of boring and monotonous forensic tasks that really start to wear thin around the 4th investigation. When I arrive at the crime scene, my trusty notebook in hand, I know exactly what is going to happen and how it’s going to happen. I’m going to look at various items on the ground praying that one happens to have writing on it. In either the right or left pocket of the victim, there will be a piece of paper. I don’t even want to know what the investigation would be like if the victim wasn’t walking around with incriminating evidence in their coat pocket.

Basically, anything with writing on it will be a huge breakthrough in the case. I’m reminded of the Fallen Idol investigation which can easily be figured out at the crime scene and even further at the props store.

The interrogations were an interesting novelty, but much like hoping for words scrawled across an item so I can jot something into my notebook, the novelty wore thin. Are these people lying to me? Can I prove it? Do I even care at this point? If I get one of four questions right the investigation will continue and I’ll still end up solving the crime in the eyes of the game. I won’t get an intuition point but I’m sure I’ll manage to scrounge one at some other point. Perhaps I’ll get the point when a clumsy bartender wears a lie on his sleeve by looking away and touching his face. I am falling asleep just thinking about it.

My question for everyone out there praising it as the finest achievement in video gaming history (lol), does this game get any better? Are the things I’ve talked about all I have to look forward to?
    Nope, you summed it up lol. I enjoyed the story all the way through but you pretty much broke down exactly how it is throughout the whole game. The question is, can you get over that stuff and just enjoy the classic noire murder tales lain before you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Decent game, playing now, can get boring but its not that bad tbh. I rated it solid 7 out of 10.

Cole Phelps is on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ColePhelpsLAPD
    Author of DON'T EVER GET OLD , Nominated for the Edgar, Anthony and Thriller awards for Best First Novel.
    My Blog: http://danieljfriedman.blogspot.com
    My Warcraft/Gaming Blog: http://biggerthankologarn.blogspot.com
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/DanFriedman81

Great and unique game, I think the sound effects when solving cases make it a little too easy, but overall a refreshing change

I wish they would've completely taken the dispatch missions out of the game. They were clearly only there to draw in players that demand action around every corner. You don't even use the skills you developed on the cases. They simply turn into either a shootout, car chase or a foot chase.

And the story of the game is good and enjoyable even though you know how it ends if you've watched any noire. I was waiting to see how the flashbacks would factor into the "present day" events. And it was fun spotting the actors you recognized. It was especially awesome seeing John Noble, or should I say Lord Denethor, in the game. Oh and I thought it was funny that Carl the bartender from How I Met Your Mother was a bartender in this game, too.

But if this game is successful enough, maybe it be possible to make a really good assassin game that uses some similar ideas, the kind I was expecting from Assassin's Creed. I would like to see an assassin game where you stalk your target, learning their daily routine if they have one. Or maybe you break into their home to find out where they would be the next day. Then you use the information you've gathered to choose when you assassinate the target. You don't just climb up a building and club your target over the head with a mace or get into some huge battle and kill your target. It would have almost no emphasis on action, so I don't know how successful it could be in today's video game market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mende View Post
    But if this game is successful enough, maybe it be possible to make a really good assassin game that uses some similar ideas, the kind I was expecting from Assassin's Creed. I would like to see an assassin game where you stalk your target, learning their daily routine if they have one. Or maybe you break into their home to find out where they would be the next day. Then you use the information you've gathered to choose when you assassinate the target. You don't just climb up a building and club your target over the head with a mace or get into some huge battle and kill your target. It would have almost no emphasis on action, so I don't know how successful it could be in today's video game market.

Hang tight guy. When you hear the knock at your door, go peacefully. The FBI doesn't fuck around when you resist.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the best games every made in terms of quality. its a great first step in a new way of gaming, there is little to nothing like this game out there

i hope there is another one. maybe not with jack kelso, but a new place. maybe 70s-80s new york?

I'll be totally honest, after like 2/3 through the game it was a bit of a chore to finish it for the story.

I still stand by my assessment that you are irrelevant, and I think this would have been better fitted to be a movie than a game. That said I'm hopeful they can take this kind of thing and really nail it down into something great

7 out of 10. One step forward, two steps back.

My biggest complaint is that it is way too linear. Almost nothing you do has any influence on the outcome of the case. By the end I had strong feeling that the game was playing itself.

Red Dead Redemption is an all-out better game, despite all technological advances of L.A. Noire.

PS: Interesting fact - even though RDR and LA Noire look like they are set in completely different ages, Jack Marston could easily have been a character in L.A. Noire - he would be only around 55 years old during the game's events.
    Last edited by namelessone; 2011-05-28 at 02:39 AM.

alright, played the last mission today.

my problem with the game is that it is utterly boooooring. investigation - boring, questioning - boring, story arc - boring, atmosphere - boring, characters - boring, main character - boring, how could he be any more uninteresting?

you have a story with around 30 hours but the directors fail to develop the characters at all. i can't relate to any of the characters, the ending should feel kind of dramatic but i couldn't care less.

i may have seen too many awesome tv series to tolerate this c-movie-story...

can i have one day of my life back? please?