Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Because they are gamers.. Gender is irrelevant on the internet, and the useless fuss that oh so often happens about it only serves as a distraction from their gaming.
    Its the same reason you dont reply when a random pugger goes "SWE????" even if you're swedish yourself.. Its just asking for trouble.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

Because it makes just about every guy gamer go into creep mode.

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    Because it makes just about every guy gamer go into creep mode.

When the healer is a hottie and you can't control yah body do the creep! Arrhhh..

I don't hide it ever. It is a part of who I am. I tell everyone that asks I'm busy playing CoD and cant go out or I need to run one last dungeon. I play pokemon at magic tournaments and even though none of my other girl friends play they accept me. Besides that...guys think I'm adorable.

Because I will try to hit on them obviously. Then we can meet up IRL and this is where I am informed that she is a new species called a "whaleblimp".

10+ Year Old Account
    Because of gamer guys, mostly. (Not all gamer guys, obviously)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because of the heavy breathers in vent, or the guy that finds out and goes to the end of the earth searching for her Realid. It honestly is somewhat of a taboo to other people, they just don't understand.

Sexism is the easiest answer.

I remember when I was about 10 years old I was a hardcore gamer. Diablo 2, Mortal Kombat, Tetris...I pretty much played anything my poor little paws could get a hold of. I didn't have many friends so it's all I really did.
    They ended up having some gaming day at school once back then and I was the only girl who showed up. I do believe they were playing some sort of fighting game that really shouldn't be played in a school setting. (Or maybe it was Halo? I unno. I try not to remember this.)
    I ended up winning.
    I ended up being literally beaten after that. Punched, Kicked and almost thrown onto a near by highway.

Now whenever I go to a con and attempt to sit down and play at video game panels I get nervous the moment my boyfriend leaves and I'm playing against all other guys. Because they start teasing me.

Until the sexism starts we'll hide it.
    Thanks.

Not all girls who play games are fat. Actually plenty of them are attractive.

Because of the heavy breathers in vent...but I agree with this...it is extra creepy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I don't really hide it.. I grew up with 2 brothers who constantly nagged me to play games with them as a kid, eventually I started liking it. It's kinda funny though when someone I don't know that well plays WoW and finds out that I played it in the past, admittedly I don't play games that much anymore, their reactions range from "Oh, that's cool" to "Yeah, but you're probably not so good at it".
    I have a female friend also who plays Warcraft with me, her brotherd got her into it over time haha.
    She always get's /w's from guild member's saying things like "I seriously cannot beleve you're a girl"... I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by monster11 View Post
    Not all girls who play games are fat. Actually plenty of them are attractive.

Because of the heavy breathers in vent...but I agree with this...it is extra creepy
    Srsly, if all gamer girls are fat, wouldn't it be fair to say that ALL gamers are fat? ;P

I don't hide it. I just don't advertise it. Why do people need to know my gender all the time? Do you go around telling everyone you're a guy? No. Why should we?
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

I'm in a class on Dante's Inferno, and the prof was talking about the (bad) video game adaptation. He asked if anyone was a "gamer," and my hand stayed down, and not really out of shame - sure I play a shitton of games, but I don't define myself by my hobbies. Guys too can want to avoid the associations that come with labels, and there are tons of reasons to not want to share what you're interested in.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Usually because of the bad reception that gamers in general get, and the fact that anything men are looked down upon for, women are looked down upon twice as hard.
    This 100%. The gamer community is easily one of the worst places to be if you happen to be a girl. The sheer amount of stupidity some people put out when they find out someone is a girl is staggering. Not to mention most of them either use it to their advantage and get everything they want for saying stuff, or they get way too much attention and they quit playing even if they enjoyed it at one point.

It makes me ashamed to ever be a gamer by this standard alone, but I'm not a girl. I can't possibly imagine how hard it is for most of them if people find out.

Honestly I think a good part of it is that people can't get over the issue and keep making pointless threads asking why girls are so reluctant to reveal their gender.

You would be surprised how accepting people can be if you stop making the issue seem like more of a problem than it actually is.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    For the same reasons many male gamers hide that they're gaming? People in general still have pretty bad preconceptions of gamers and gaming culture in general, not to mention gaming isn't something you really can discuss with non-gamers anyway.
    This, plus I think it might be x2 for girls. My wife is a better player than me at WoW, even though I introduced it to her, and we both keep it the fact that we play video games on the down-low.

Not sure why, either. I mean, obviously, the above is why. But the above has no logical reasoning for it. But . . .

10+ Year Old Account
    Most gamer girl's don't hide it.

The girls who do hide it are scared of being flirted with online.
    Or
    They hide it because like several men playing female toons they might wish they were born boy's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeBeeP View Post
    You would be surprised how accepting people can be if you stop making the issue seem like more of a problem than it actually is.
    This tbh.
    I can't help but think a lot of the situations are exaggerated (maybe not all, because you do get random fruitcakes out there), because I've never really had the problem. I've been whispered a few times asking whether I'm a girl irl, couple times I answered honestly, random guy started getting chatty, so I just said: Not interested. And that was it.
    If anything, I got more crap the time I lied and said I was a guy "LOL you're playing a female char, clearly you're at your keyboard fapping at your toon" etc etc.
    If someone refers to me as a "he" in a random dungeon group, I don't bother to correct them, because it's not even worth the effort. I'll spend maybe 30 mins in a group with them and never see them again. Online acquaintances and guildies know I'm female though.

Stop making such a big deal out of it and get on with enjoying your game.

But a bit more on topic and to elaborate on my earlier post. Playing WoW (or any game) is not something I hide IRL - if a colleague asks me what I did the previous evening, I'll reply honestly. Ok, I don't go around saying: I'm a gamer btw, just so you know. But certainly don't hide it.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Kraai View Post
    Sexism is the easiest answer.

I remember when I was about 10 years old I was a hardcore gamer. Diablo 2, Mortal Kombat, Tetris...I pretty much played anything my poor little paws could get a hold of. I didn't have many friends so it's all I really did.
    They ended up having some gaming day at school once back then and I was the only girl who showed up. I do believe they were playing some sort of fighting game that really shouldn't be played in a school setting. (Or maybe it was Halo? I unno. I try not to remember this.)
    I ended up winning.
    I ended up being literally beaten after that. Punched, Kicked and almost thrown onto a near by highway.

Now whenever I go to a con and attempt to sit down and play at video game panels I get nervous the moment my boyfriend leaves and I'm playing against all other guys. Because they start teasing me.

Until the sexism starts we'll hide it.
    Thanks.
    The last thing i do is to play competitive games such as DoTA and Counter-Strike in Net Cafe. Becuz i know exactly how u feel there, except that i dodged the bullet.

I am Hunter - Play Free Online Games