Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord shockpally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vatican City
    Posts
    800

    $50 light bulb? Stock up on Incandescent bulbs now.

    The government is out to save you, once again, from yourself. They arent satisfied with outlawing incandescents to make you buy toxic CFL's. Now they want to promote a light bulb that is more expensive than some lamps.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...9saXN0BHNsawNs


    Stop the Government from saving us from ourselves. If you want to buy an energy efficient bulb go ahead. Unfortunately they are taking that option away from you by getting rid of the extremely lower cost light bulbs and eroding yet more of your economic freedom.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

  2. #2
    Field Marshal Deadmanwalkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Every were and no were.
    Posts
    72
    Lol wow people are now just hearing about this i heard about this 6 months ago

  3. #3
    Government must tell me what to do. Without their guidance I can't do anything!

  4. #4
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by shockpally View Post
    The government is out to save you, once again, from yourself. They arent satisfied with outlawing incandescents to make you buy toxic CFL's. Now they want to promote a light bulb that is more expensive than some lamps.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...9saXN0BHNsawNs


    Stop the Government from saving us from ourselves. If you want to buy an energy efficient bulb go ahead. Unfortunately they are taking that option away from you by getting rid of the extremely lower cost light bulbs and eroding yet more of your economic freedom.
    Why are CFL toxic? (Mercury? Really, I'm not sure, I guess someone will answer :S) And that also has happened in my country, personally I welcome it. And 50 bucks? Was it that expensive? Well I guess I didn't really know. Personally I have half incandescent half CFL, and they both work great, tbh.
    Last edited by JohnnyTKF; 2011-05-18 at 12:13 AM.

  5. #5
    OP is an idiot.

    He's not presenting the whole story. What's up for ban is the old style of incandescent bulbs that, honestly, burned inefficiently. New, high-efficiency incandescent are on the market and they're just as inexpensive, and not up for ban. The article he linked was specifically about LED lights, and not about the whole legislative situation.

    Take off your goddamn tinfoil hats and stop knee-jerking it to everything.

    Don't flame our users. ~Fuzzz
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-05-18 at 12:44 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    Why are CFL toxic? (Mercury? Really, I'm not sure, I guess someone will answer :S) And that also has happened in my country, personally I welcome it. And 50 bucks? Was it that expensive? Well I guess I didn't really know. Personally I have half incandescent half CFL, and they both work great, tbh.
    I believe he's referring to the fact that there's generally mercury in CFL's.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdris View Post
    OP is an idiot.

    He's not presenting the whole story. What's up for ban is the old style of incandescent bulbs that, honestly, burned inefficiently. New, high-efficiency incandescent are on the market and they're just as inexpensive, and not up for ban. The article he linked was specifically about LED lights, and not about the whole legislative situation.

    Take off your goddamn tinfoil hats and stop knee-jerking it to everything.
    And why the hell should people not be able to buy inefficient light bulbs?
    What if they aren't inefficient after all, or their efficiency is not the sole reason for purchase?
    Last edited by Diurdi; 2011-05-18 at 12:19 AM.

  8. #8
    The Patient Salarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Terrokar Forest
    Posts
    319
    Dude it's not poisonus unless you crunch it up and eat with your cereal. Stop inflating the problem.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    And why the hell should people not be able to buy inefficient light bulbs?
    Rofl, If you actually want to buy the inefficient (which means shitty if you didn't look up that word...) bulbs instead of the efficient ones that cost the same, then you are just a complete dumbass...

    If you truly think like that, then you should be locked up in a psych ward.

  10. #10
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Salarius View Post
    Dude it's not poisonus unless you crunch it up and eat with your cereal. Stop inflating the problem.
    This. It's not anymore poisonous than batteries, seriously, if anyone does some retarded shit like trying to eat them, then it's their damn fault if anything happens to them.

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-17 at 07:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangzs2 View Post
    Rofl, If you actually want to buy the inefficient (which means shitty if you didn't look up that word...) bulbs instead of the efficient ones that cost the same, then you are just a complete dumbass...

    If you truly think like that, then you should be locked up in a psych ward.
    Well his arguments were... Interesting, to say the least, when it came to some public vs private services, but everyone can have an opinion, even if you or I don't agree with him (Don't know why people would want shitty light bulbs, but I don't wanna argue about it now).

  11. #11
    This is happening pretty much everywhere. In EU there is a ban on manufacturing the old type of light bulbs.

  12. #12
    The bulbs that are being banned are technically heating systems that happen to produce light, not light bulbs.

    Good riddance.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangzs2 View Post
    Rofl, If you actually want to buy the inefficient (which means shitty if you didn't look up that word...) bulbs instead of the efficient ones that cost the same, then you are just a complete dumbass...

    If you truly think like that, then you should be locked up in a psych ward.
    If inefficient actually does mean shitty, why are these efficient, oh so superior bulbs not as bright as the ones that you say are so terrible?

    I use the new type for some things, but for a room where I need bright light? Fuck em.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

    http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

    For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

  14. #14
    CFL's will still be available. It's just the very old fashioned light bulb that's disappearing. Considering everything about that light bulb it's about time too. Oh yeah and that 50 dollar LED light bulb lasts 6 times longer and uses far less power than the CFL's even do. ~10,000 hours for a CFL compared to 60,000 hours of use for a LED light. To give you some perspective. 10,000 hours means you could leave your CFL on every day all day for about a year and 2-3 months. A LED light could potentially be left on all day, every day for 7 years and 10 months give or tank a month either way.

    If you follow the advice of idiots who only look at cost of an item you often make poor decisions, this is one of those scenarios. Yep the LED light is far more expensive but over the life of the light you will save about 120 US dollars in power cost and saved repurchasing of light bulbs. Just in light bulb cost you saved over 10 bucks.

    Fearmongerer goes rabble rabble.

  15. #15
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    This is happening pretty much everywhere. In EU there is a ban on manufacturing the old type of light bulbs.
    That's true. CFL's will be there, LED lights too, the old ones though? Heck no. The problem would be for places like farms I guess, but I don't see other place where this ban could be an inconvenience, not that I know of...

  16. #16
    incandescent light bulbs suck anyway. fluorescent lights are so much better

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The bulbs that are being banned are technically heating systems that happen to produce light, not light bulbs.

    Good riddance.
    A single bulb produced enough heat to bake small cookies and cakes. One step up from lighting your home with the manifolds of an electric oven.
    They're = They are /\ Their = Possessive /\ There = Location
    You're = You are /\ Your = Possessive
    It's = It is /\ Its = Possessive
    I'm not a grammar Nazi; they used to police German, not English.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    If inefficient actually does mean shitty, why are these efficient, oh so superior bulbs not as bright as the ones that you say are so terrible?

    I use the new type for some things, but for a room where I need bright light? Fuck em.
    Ever heard of the environment?

  19. #19
    Legendary! UncleSilas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by shockpally View Post
    The government is out to save you, once again, from yourself. They arent satisfied with outlawing incandescents to make you buy toxic CFL's. Now they want to promote a light bulb that is more expensive than some lamps.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...9saXN0BHNsawNs


    Stop the Government from saving us from ourselves. If you want to buy an energy efficient bulb go ahead. Unfortunately they are taking that option away from you by getting rid of the extremely lower cost light bulbs and eroding yet more of your economic freedom.
    And lets ban the internet!! Back to the good old days of getting a wire!!!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    And why the hell should people not be able to buy inefficient light bulbs?
    What if they aren't inefficient after all, or their efficiency is not the sole reason for purchase?
    LOL typical uninformed Republican. Don't worry about facts, or what's better for the planet, or even your own electricity bill, AMG GUVVMINT IS LIMITING MAH FREEDOMZ MUST PROTEST!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •