Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Diablo 3: Thoughts and concerns?

So I recently got back into Diablo 2: LoD again (Played it a ton back in 'the day') and since I've been playing it, I have been wondering if Diablo 3 will not be able to live up to the amazing game that is D2 (It won't, because no matter how hard Blizzard tries, they won't be able to top it because people's nostalgia *Raises Hand* is really high with the game which is very much justified). So to get down to the point, here are just a few of my thoughts and concern (and would like to hear y'alls opinions on this as well).

1. The environments: The new environments look pretty good, but my main concern is that it will just be slightly too cheery, sticking to some of the exaggerated visual styles of WoW when the two styles are distinctly different. As a few examples:
    -Dungeons: I don't think the whole over use of green/blue ambient lighting in the dungeons will suit it too well in all honesty. While it looks good, I believe that it would look better with the grey/brown/darker colors in general because D2 dungeons thrived on it. The light radius (which should be in the game) added to the effect quite nicely and gave them a distinctly creepy feeling. Another thing I wanted to point out were the various bloody/gruesome doodads in various places. E.G bodies laid out on torture tables in the monastery jails with their innards ripped out, or bodies impaled on pikes, or just blood splattered on the walls. These helped add a distinctly creepy feel all of the dungeons (Jail, Catacombs etc). In an interview, Jay Wilson (lead designer) said that they were going to add more gore filled visuals to dungeons etc after hearing fan feedback. Now I know that they are pretty much sticking with the current art style but I hope that they will put back in some semblance of the light radius and more of the darker colors.

2. The music: The music helped make those dungeons (and indeed all areas to a degree) feel creepy. My favorite example of this is the music heard in the monastery (Jail, barracks, and inner and outer cloisters).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LGASEPjYuk (It just screams "Andariel is here and really ****ed things up in the monastery) (When I first went down to face Andariel and heard this, it kind of creeped me out because I knew that she was not going to be easy)
    My main hope on this regard is that the new music person will do his best to emulate the same style of music (the guitar etc, with a very atmospheric feel to it)
    My other favorite music for this regard, because it defines the city so well is the Lut Gholein theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0QbfvdmZsA

3. The classes: The new classes do actually look pretty interesting and I will look forward to see how they play out. The witch doctor looks like a pretty interesting rehashing of the Necro (Though I wish the Necro was making it into D3 ), with curses, summoning and a tribal feel. The Demon hunter looks also interesting, a mix between the assassin and the amazon. The Wizard, which is well, the Sorceress also looks interesting. I personally think the monk looks the most interesting, because it has a western style but still some eastern influence. My main hope is that each of these characters have the same depth that the D2 classes did.

4. The skill trees: The skills are what made the game for me in D2. The fact that each class had anywhere from 10 to 20 viable builds to get through the game on normal is something that makes the game great. Paladins could be hammerdins, Zealots, Auradins, smiters etc. Necros could be boners ( a name my friend gave to a necro that uses Teeth, Bone spear, Bone cage, Bone wall and bone spirit ) or could go a poison style build from the same tree. The synergies allowed for this. My main hope is that the new skills will not be linear (I.E WoW) and not lead to the same final skill. Basically variety, depth, and to have as many viable builds for each class as D2 had is my hope for D3.

One other thing I hope is in the game in some form is the ability to bring up the semi transparent map by hitting tab or a similar key.

My only other thought is that the armor should retain the diablo feel as well, and not be as influenced by WoW as seems to be at times now.

My final thoughts (and I apologize if this was a long read) is that I have a feeling Blizzard will make a good product and that many people will enjoy it ( I am pretty sure I will), but I just hope that it retains a diablo feeling to it (The gritty, gruesome and that feeling that Sanctuary is being corrupted).

What are some of your thoughts and concerns?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

10+ Year Old Account
    They're fixing a lot of problems that a billion people complained about for years in D2, so there's that. Unfortunately, they had plenty of time to fix those problems in D2, but they decided to ignore it all. So I don't know.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_III

The gameplay style seems to be heading much more into an MMO style. Which may or may not be a good thing, but I loved D2's gameplay. If they change it too much it will just feel like a different game. And I don't care about Diablo's lore, so that would be a big turn-off for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    1. The environments: The new environments look pretty good, but my main concern is that it will just be slightly too cheery, sticking to some of the exaggerated visual styles of WoW when the two styles are distinctly different. As a few examples:
    -Dungeons: I don't think the whole over use of green/blue ambient lighting in the dungeons will suit it too well in all honesty. While it looks good, I believe that it would look better with the grey/brown/darker colors in general because D2 dungeons thrived on it. The light radius (which should be in the game) added to the effect quite nicely and gave them a distinctly creepy feeling. Another thing I wanted to point out were the various bloody/gruesome doodads in various places. E.G bodies laid out on torture tables in the monastery jails with their innards ripped out, or bodies impaled on pikes, or just blood splattered on the walls. These helped add a distinctly creepy feel all of the dungeons (Jail, Catacombs etc). In an interview, Jay Wilson (lead designer) said that they were going to add more gore filled visuals to dungeons etc after hearing fan feedback. Now I know that they are pretty much sticking with the current art style but I hope that they will put back in some semblance of the light radius and more of the darker colors.

Just gotta throw this out there.

Blizzard agree'd with you, and at Blizzcon '08 they showed the real title screen.

I'm serious.

To be honest? After watching a company I thought was down-to-earth get twisted by big business, I'm afraid the game is going to be filled with micro-transactions and other garbage.

Deleted
    Very valid points, although they're basically a roundup of aspects not necessarily good or bad but what instead falls to your personal preference.

I myself adore D2 and forever will, but my thoughts on D3 will have to wait until I have tried it. I'll just say with regards to the massive negative feedback about the environments, colour scheme and general game vibe and feel that I think sometimes one aspect is being overlooked.

The fact that some areas are "greener" will only add a sensation of awe and cruelty once you head down some dark catacombs. However, the new and advanced graphics style will differ greatly from D2 and hence inherently will be something that true D2 fans will have to overcome in the process of realizing D3 isn't D2 2.0 but an entirely new game in the series. I am certainly ready to give D3 that chance with openmindedness and a positive outlook.

I'm afraid, but for no specific reasons. I am just a bit worried it won't be the game I waited ten years for. I'm still super excited, and hope my fears are unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Algor View Post
    Very valid points, although they're basically a roundup of aspects not necessarily good or bad but what instead falls to your personal preference.

I myself adore D2 and forever will, but my thoughts on D3 will have to wait until I have tried it. I'll just say with regards to the massive negative feedback about the environments, colour scheme and general game vibe and feel that I think sometimes one aspect is being overlooked.

The fact that some areas are "greener" will only add a sensation of awe and cruelty once you head down some dark catacombs. However, the new and advanced graphics style will differ greatly from D2 and hence inherently will be something that true D2 fans will have to overcome in the process of realizing D3 isn't D2 2.0 but an entirely new game in the series. I am certainly ready to give D3 that chance with openmindedness and a positive outlook.
    Indeed, I hope to be objective when playing it and do my best to be open minded on it. The red looking dungeons actually look pretty good, it's just the blue/green ones that look a bit weird. I will still save my final judgment for when it comes out.
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

Indeed, I hope to be objective when playing it and do my best to be open minded on it. The red looking dungeons actually look pretty good, it's just the blue/green ones that look a bit weird. I will still save my final judgment for when it comes out.
    I'm just going to adjust my screens gamma/contrast till everything is diabolical looking and hard to distinguish. Go, go!

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    Just gotta throw this out there.

Blizzard agree'd with you, and at Blizzcon '08 they showed the real title screen.

I'm serious.
    Haha. Sadly it's kind of true. It does make me a bit sad that they have veered away from the dark gothic look they had from the first game. The actual gameplay changes doesn't bother me and I imagine it will be fun. I just don't like the new aesthetics for it.

So I recently got back into Diablo 2: LoD again (Played it a ton back in 'the day') and since I've been playing it, I have been wondering if Diablo 3 will not be able to live up to the amazing game that is D2 (It won't, because no matter how hard Blizzard tries, they won't be able to top it because people's nostalgia *Raises Hand* is really high with the game which is very much justified). So to get down to the point, here are just a few of my thoughts and concern (and would like to hear y'alls opinions on this as well).

Did you have the pleasure of playing D3 at Blizzcon? If you did, you wouldn't be bothered with any of your concerns in this quote. There's plenty of areas without those ambient colors. In addition, there are plenty of dead bodies.... that you get to splatter everywhere. Some of the special abilities that you get to use that finish off monsters look amazing.

I'm beginning to think you didn't even play D2! Did you play the expansion; LoD? It was covered in bright light... everywhere. I'm not even going to mention Baal's room. It may as well of been pink!

Having had the chance to watch people play and experience it for myself at Blizzcon last year, I'm not worried in the least bit.

I can't remember specifically what was said about trees/class combinations, but the new rune system is supposed to make for a LOT of new combinations for character customization if I remember correctly. (Don't quote me on that)

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Haha. Sadly it's kind of true. It does make me a bit sad that they have veered away from the dark gothic look they had from the first game. The actual gameplay changes doesn't bother me and I imagine it will be fun. I just don't like the new aesthetics for it.
    Like I mentioned earlier, the red dungeon actually looks pretty neat, it was mainly the blue/green dungeons haha. Now I can understand that the outdoor world has improved in 20 years since D2, so things might look a bit 'prettier', I just think that rainbows and bright, colorful doodads are not necessary. Though I heard from somewhere that the game will get darker and darker through the acts to show the fact that things are getting worse, so we shall see. Still, dungeons should not look like a maid came through and scrubbed them Haha.

Deleted
    Indeed it looks like it's made 100 % with WoW game engine so it looks extremely crappy graphics-wise and the art style is absolutely boring. The spell icons even look like the same art style and armor sets as well.

Also spell animations are WEAK.

Won't be buying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Faint Of Heart View Post
    Did you have the pleasure of playing D3 at Blizzcon? If you did, you wouldn't be bothered with any of your concerns in this quote. There's plenty of areas without those ambient colors. In addition, there are plenty of dead bodies.... that you get to splatter everywhere. Some of the special abilities that you get to use that finish off monsters look amazing.

I'm beginning to think you didn't even play D2! Did you play the expansion; LoD? It was covered in bright light... everywhere. I'm not even going to mention Baal's room. It may as well of been pink!

Having had the chance to watch people play and experience it for myself at Blizzcon last year, I'm not worried in the least bit.

I can't remember specifically what was said about trees/class combinations, but the new rune system is supposed to make for a LOT of new combinations for character customization if I remember correctly. (Don't quote me on that)
    Yeah I have played D2: LoD :-P. I understand that you've played it at Blizzcon; I am just sharing my thoughts and concerns, and am glad that you are doing the same. Yes, deserts tend to be bright, and in act 5, you're in snowy mountains and light tends to reflect off of the snow like that Finally, I do remember killing Baal; it was no picnic (Clones, never seeming to have enough potions etc, plus just getting to him was tough, with Ventar, Lister etc blocking the way).

Deleted
    While I understand the need to cater a game to fans, the fans must be just as willing to accept evolution.

Diablo III might not be all you hoped for, but you should have faith in Blizzard that they'll evolve the game in the right direction. While it's fair to expect similar game-play, the RP and combat systems do need a good overhaul. Not everything in Diablo II was great.

If they can emphasize the RPG aspect of it slightly instead of making it a loot farm game, it should be good.

Take for example the fact that Blizz reduced the Coop from 8 to 4 players.

Before WoW, most MMOs had 8+ man dungeon groups. Wow was the first MMO to limit dungeons to 5 people, giving each individual more responsibility for success. In retrospect it was a great decission, mirrored by many other MMOs today.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-05-18 at 05:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest worry is that they will use their WoW experience, and dumb down the game to make it more accessible, and ruin the hidden complexity that was in D2 that made it re-playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    While I understand the need to cater a game to fans, the fans must be just as willing to accept evolution.

Diablo III might not be all you hoped for, but you should have faith in Blizzard that they'll evolve the game in the right direction. While it's fair to expect similar game-play, the RP and combat systems do need a good overhaul. Not everything in Diablo II was great.

If they can emphasize the RPG aspect of it slightly instead of making it a loot farm game, it should be good.
    Oh I have no doubt that Blizzard will make a quality product that will sell well, I just hope they don't get rid of too many things that made D2 great. Story-wise, I saw some info saying that there is a character and story driven focus; they want to keep the same quality of story, while adding in new ways of delivering it from what I understand. Thanks for your comment!

Good stuff, you all remember that D2 was called an abomination compared to D1 when it was released due to its environment right? Ill judge after i play it instead of preview videos. Im not even concerned for the graphic style what i want is gameplay and blizzard has atleast been able to give that in previous ones.

Things change and id rather embrace it than going against it in pure nostalgi.

why do people feel like they have to go and say WoW sucks in every thread (even though it doesn't)

Another I idea I hope they still implement is the random omg op rare monsters you find running around in D2 I mean sometimes a pack of these enchanted monsters on hell were as hard as the damn bosses...

Quote Originally Posted by Deamoneyes View Post
    Good stuff, you all remember that D2 was called an abomination compared to D1 when it was released due to its environment right? Ill judge after i play it instead of preview videos. Im not even concerned for the graphic style what i want is gameplay and blizzard has atleast been able to give that in previous ones.

Things change and id rather embrace it than going against it in pure nostalgi.
    Yeah, nostalgia is neigh impossible to beat, which is why it will be hard to give D3 an objective review for many D2 fans; I will do my best to do an objective review of it. I actually was not aware of Diablo 2 being called an abomination because of it's environment, thanks!