Page 1 of 45
... LastLast
    Deleted

Can we change Blizzards stance like we did with Real-ID?

So far, the public outcry about the premium cross-realm friends list has been largely negative.

While not quite on the same scale as the "Real-ID on forums" debate, it has sparked over 2000 forum responses in less than 24 hours. After announcing the Real ID feature it took Blizzard less than 48 hours to reevaluate their stance of the issue after such overwhelming feedback.

However in the case of Real ID, the issue was about personal information and the safety issues connected with it.

This time the issue is about taking money for a feature that should be part of the subscription.

Do you think we as a community have a real chance of changing Blizzards stance on this? We did with Real-ID, but this time we're attacking their profitability so it might be a completely different game.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-05-19 at 11:27 AM.

Don't take the vocal minority as being a majority.

Personally, I don't give a damn if it's a pay service or not, and I've made a grand total of one post (this one) to that effect. I'd be willing to throw down money that there are people on the community boards right now trying to inflate negative feedback using every single character on their accounts.

If its a payed service then it will fail
    WoW is already expensive as it is...
    Hell a full start up without computer and internet charges is $130+$15 a month...
    i don't know much about how much its supposed to be but I can guarantee you it would be less expensive to realm xfer... overtime that is
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Fake and Gay
    They never said it was real and heterosexual.

This is very different. When I heard about this upcoming feature from a guildie last night I knew it would be a premium service.

There's no such thing as something that "should" be part of the subscription. The only "should" is your access to their servers at any given time except when they conduct maintenance. This is not the first nor is it going to be the last premium service they offer.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 08:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by giowatcher View Post
    If its a payed service then it will fail

You don't know what you're talking about. If people are willing to buy a shiny unicorn mount for £20 they sure as hell will pay for this, if it means they'll be able to play with their friends in a unique way.

WoW is already expensive as it is...

WoW is a lot of things, but it's not expensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by levitate View Post
    There's no such thing as something that "should" be part of the subscription. The only "should" is your access to their servers at any given time except when they conduct maintenance. This is not the first nor is it going to be the last premium service they offer.
    That's for everyone to decide for themselves. If Blizzard didn't release patches on a regular basis or only offered them as a "premium" I'm sure many people would disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    This time the issue is about taking money for a service that should be part of the subscription.
    Before we continue the never-ending, nowhere-leading, conversation can you justify/defend the above statement with any kind of valid argument?

10+ Year Old Account
    With the cross-realm dungeon finder, they're effectively selling gold: exactly what they said they'd never do.

Step1: [2][Person1]: WTS CRDF queues, 250g per queue.
    Step2: Group of 3 pays Person1 so they can queue with a friend from X server, as well as exchanging personal information via Real ID.
    Step3: Person1 leaves group after 3 queues or so. 750g pocketed for an additional monthly fee.
    Temple of Light-ShadowsongUS
    Get Along Gang-ShadowsongUS (Disbanded)
    ~Alanaria~:::Cyclønite:::Thelek

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    That's for everyone to decide for themselves.

No it isn't. Blizzard doesn't owe you anything. Read the EULA.

If Blizzard didn't release patches on a regular basis or only offered them as a "premium" I'm sure many people would disagree.

They're offering patches "on a regular basis" because it's part of the business in the software industry. They don't have to do it but it would be bad for business to release a game without trying to improve it over time with patches. Especially an MMO that has an ongoing story.

changing blizzard minds? it wont be a problem.
    Having blizz change activision mind THAT will be a problem.
    Fagtivision is the cause of everything in gaming being "pay me if you want that digital shit" besides regular wow subscription
    In black ops they even charge 15 euro for 5 fucking maps that 99% of other games would offer for free

depends on your currency sherlock... in some countries its incredibly expensive

Whether something is expensive or not is subjective.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    If they wouldn't change Real-ID showing your first and last name in game, I doubt they'd change this. The fact that money is involved makes me doubt it even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theleklol View Post
    With the cross-realm dungeon finder, they're effectively selling gold: exactly what they said they'd never do.

Step1: [2][Person1]: WTS CRDF queues, 250g per queue.
    Step2: Group of 3 pays Person1 so they can queue with a friend from X server, as well as exchanging personal information via Real ID.
    Step3: Person1 leaves group after 3 queues or so. 750g pocketed for an additional monthly fee.
    Your example if flawed in so many ways that i don't know whre to start.
    How paying once for a feature would even remotely be like buying gold?
    If we follow your no-logic-at-all post Blizzard is selling gold since he allow you to roll a tank character, people are selling tank queues since day 1 of LFD.
    I don;'t even know why i'm bothering talking and try to convince some of you when it's obvious you got nothing to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it. The issue with Real-ID is it created real life dangers. Yes the chance of someone using a single individual's real name to do anything harmful is extremely small but with 13 million subscribers (or whatever the number is these days) it was bound to happen at least once, which is too much. The community was fairly united in this situation, those supporting it were in the minority (at least those voicing their support of it were.)

In this case it is an issue of game "balance." The community is split on this. Many do not care. You say it should be part of the subscription, others say it should not. The community is not united one way or the other. Personally I don't care what happens with this. Yes it would be nice to game with my cousins on different servers but it is not necessary.

The point is, we can just as well survive without this. For me, adding a premium feature makes 0 changes to my gameplay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That's why we have so much whining, because it shouldn't be part of it.. That's just your opinion.
    But people think everything should be part of the sub already, we had this crying with faction-change, character-customization, realm-transfer and anything.
    People don't want to pay for things, they believe they are entitled to everything.
    In my opinion there's a big difference between a customization feature and an actual in-game feature. This RealID thing is like them charging real money for the 310% flying speed...

Personally it won't affect me in the slightest bit as I don't play atm, but I can really understand where everyone's coming from. And the "loud minority" is not really a minority on this change. I don't know a single person who thinks blizzard are a fair, customer > all, non-greedy company. And that is because they aren't. They are doing everything to make money from the smallest things. This included, and it's disgusting to look at, and it's even more disgusting to see some subscribers swallow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    depends on your currency sherlock... in some countries its incredibly expensive

Compared to other forms of entertainment over a period of time etc etc it's not expensive. Anyone who has a computer with a proper isdn/broadband internet connection has enough currency to pay for a subscription to WoW.

If that means going to the cinema/eating out/buying sweets less times a month then so be it, life is about priorities anyway, but don't tell me WoW is expensive.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nozyk View Post
    Whether something is expensive or not is subjective.

Yes, it's about priorities. Like I said to Dexiefy before, if you already have a computer with a proper broadband internet connection you'll be alright. WoW as entertainment is cheaper and last a hell of a lot longer than your average cinema visit. I wouldn't expect anyone without an income to be able to afford anything anyway; doesn't mean it's expensive though.

Optional - op·tion·al - [op-shuh-nl]
    -adjective

1. left to one's choice; not required or mandatory.
    2. leaving something to choice.

Choice - [chois]
    - noun
    1. an act or instance of choosing;
    2. the right, power, or opportunity to choose

See where I'm going here?

10+ Year Old Account
    You know you don't have to pay for it? They are not going to make you get it. Don't QQ about it if ur not going to pay for it. Blizzard could just not do it would that be better?
    Aye mate

This is a huge difference, and I think people should pay a premium for such a luxary feature.

Deleted
    No it isn't. Blizzard doesn't owe you anything. Read the EULA.
    No one owes blizzard anything either - it's for each person to decide their opinion on this.

They're offering patches "on a regular basis" because it's part of the business in the software industry. They don't have to do it but it would be bad for business to release a game without trying to improve it over time with patches. Especially an MMO that has an ongoing story.
    And it would be bad for business to charge extra for this feature, by the looks of it. Lots of unhappy people all around.