Nameplates transparent in combat

Around the time 4.1 hit I suddenly started having target nameplate ONLY WHILE IN COMBAT somewhat transparent as opposed to be nice, bold, opaque. This gives me enormous problems in arena as I often instinctively double tab, thinking that I didn't switch target, when in fact 2nd tab was extra and had further changed the target.

I do not run any name plate mods although at one point of time or another I used to have overhead or tried another few. Actually, I do have Platebuffs installed but I tried disabling it or testing on toons that don't load that addon and the problem remains.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? And please, advices like delete wtf/cache/iface are not going to work - not after having a complete copy of WoW transfered from one hard drive to another, to third, from linux to windows, to another computer to yet another computer etc - for the past what... 6 years? Too many tiny settings would be lost and I wouldn't even be able to remember how i got them (some of the stuff wasn't addons but /console commands that were fixing one issue or another)

Screenshot here:

Addons I run are too numerous to list but have not been changed or new addons installed lately.
    Last edited by Darko; 2011-05-18 at 05:27 PM.

Screenshot, and a more complete list of all the addons you are running.
    Mattsvaliant - 85 BE Paladin - 135+ Mounts - Dragonslayer -

Unfortunately i have no idea about how to fix your problem.But i recommend an addon called tidy nameplates or tidy plates.

I've tried it several times and I just can't use it. I have no problem with default stuff in WoW and how it looks - just need extra functionality sometimes.
    Last edited by Darko; 2011-05-18 at 05:36 PM.

If you haven't cleared your cache/interface/WTF folder for 6 years, Id say thats probably your problem right there. Try just the cache, it doesn't hold information about addon settings or the like.
    Mattsvaliant - 85 BE Paladin - 135+ Mounts - Dragonslayer -

I did clear cache, actually, but it didn't help.

I second Tidy Plates. It's one of the single best add-ons out there. Especially for tanks.

Like I said earlier, for me it's a disastrously bad addon. If it added the threat functionality to standard nameplates it would be fine.

However, if someone has knowledge, possibility or patience to make it not change the look and feel of default plates, I'll be happy to hear about it. Although, please let's not turn this into a "name plate addon" thread - I am happy with default. It's just that they got broken somehow.

One thing to add - when I mention it only happens in combat - it doesn't come back to opaque straight after i exit combat. It sometimes linger for a 2-10 seconds or until I change target/camera angle.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 06:40 PM ----------

Actually, narrowed it down a bit.

I did temporarily remove wtf/iface/cache and the issue was still present. However, it only happens once I put my water elemental in combat - explains why my tournament realm mage (still in making, so no addons loaded) had the same issue.

Still no resolution though :/

Running a repair couldnt hurt.

I've seen repair do bad things to wifey's installation so I doubt I am going to touch that. But bad news is I managed to reproduce it with pet out of combat too.

Back to square one

Deleted
    Copy your WTF and Interface folders before running repair.

It definitely has something to do with the aggro/threat/combat somehow.

Deleted
    OUCH! Nice to find that is not my eyes getting considerably worse out of sudden I have similar problems, big pain in the ass when you do some pvp... I just can't see them sometimes. Will have to try out a few addons and investigate why it's happening.

---------- Post added 2011-05-23 at 10:45 AM ----------

Found the solution for me. I installed an addon called simply: "Nameplates". It let's you modify original nameplates a bit and they are really visible now, just perfect. They add a bit of functionality as well. You can display HP of the mobs on them. There is a few ways of displaying it, percentage, deficit and min/max.

Personally I like to see how much hp there is left on the target so I modified one line in .lua file.

Originally:
    frame.NPText:SetFormattedText("%d/%d", value, maxValue)
    changed to:
    frame.NPText:SetFormattedText("%d", value / 1000)

Of course you have to pick Min/Max setting in the options.

After this change you will see nice HP left on the mob rounded by thousands. Simple 37 for example works much better for me then 37564/37564
    Last edited by mmoc50091b4062; 2011-05-23 at 09:47 AM.

Could you post a link to this addon? There are more than a few out there but all of them are "Nameplates This" or "Nameplates That" - no simple "Nameplates".