25 Man Heroic Nefarion

So my guild is currently 8/13 in heroic 25 man content and we're starting work on Nefarion now. One of the questions we've been tossing back and forth is how many crackles to push in phase 1? If we only push 1 crackle in phase 1 we get to phase 2 about 95%+ of the time. If we try and push 2 crackles, quite often we're either wiping to Onyxia blowing up, or we kill her with just seconds remaining (granted our dps will go up with more familiarity with the fight). Now we don't push ANY crackles in phase 2 as the damage is already so high, however once we push into phase three the entire success of the raid falls on the Add-Tank's shoulders and his healers ability to keep him up through crackles. So if we only push 1 crackle in phase 1, that means our healers have to keep our add tank up through one more crackle with a pack full of angry bone warriors trying to Nom his face.

I've watched many videos on this fight and some say push only 1 crackle and go into phase 3 with Nef sitting around 81% so you can immediately hit a crackle and hit the ground running before the adds spawn again. Then just go from 80%-0 in phase 3. While other videos say that in order to minimize SOME of the pressure in phase three you should push two crackles in phase 1.

What are your guys' opinions on this? How many does your guild do? Do you have any tips or tricks for this fight?

Thanks in advance
    Phoenix

The way I see it : If your dps cannot consistently push 2 crackles in P1 without blowing up Ony then just go with 1.

2 crackles in phase 1, and 0 in phase 2, because like you said there's too much pressure on the healers already. We also use bloodlust in p2 so we can get through it as quickly as possible.

The worst part about progression on this fight is the entire guild has to learn the fight up through p1 and p2, and then p3 is the only chance the add tank gets to learn his role, so once you wipe on p1 and p2 for a while you get to wipe on p3 after that.

Really though the fight is easy and the majority of the difficulty lies on the add tank, make sure him and whoever is helping him know exactly what they are doing. If adds don't die, and you keep letting them get stacks and grow bigger, then you'll never kill nef.

I tank the adds for my guild on 10 man and I have to ask, do the shadowblaze sparks go slower on heroic? I simply cannot see how it would be possible to kite the adds for that long without the entire platform being covered with fire long before Nefarian is dead. Any fellow add tanks out there have any info on this?

Well we've only done night of attempts so far and to be "safe" while learning we were running with 7 healers instead of 6. So if needed we could possibly drop to 6 to make sure we have enough dps to get Ony down in phase 1 with 2 crackles. I'm just trying to get some opinions and see if thats desirable.

Deleted
    7healers
    2 crackles p1, 0 in p2
    in p3 our onyxia dk tank helps our add warrior tank to kite the adds, works very good

in p1 dps ony to ~15% then switch to nef and push 2 crackles

On 10man we just zerg onyxia in p1. We have a DK who tank both onyxia and the adds.
    BL is used in p1.

We usually get 2 crackles and get nef to around 75% as hes running to the middle. If ony is about to blow up just turn and kill her and let nef transition with low health so you can push a crackle right when p3 starts.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
    On 10man we just zerg onyxia in p1. We have a DK who tank both onyxia and the adds.
    BL is used in p1.
    How long would you say phase 3 takes you to get through with this strat??
    Druidjezus' Law: "As the length of any online discussion increases, the probability that [insert any topic here] will be mentioned approaches 1, duh."
    I am the Druid Jesus, and I approve of this message.

We used 7 healers during progression we can 6 heal it now but choose not to to make it easy and cause enrage timer shoudnt be a issue unless healers let alot of people die or dps is bad. Push 1 phase 1 crackle 0 p2 then just go all the way p3, we have a warrior tank the adds with a paly tank running with him for offtanking duty. as long as your tank is good at resetting the adds you could go around the circle all night long as long you dont hit enrage timer.

Deleted
    DPS Onyxia down to around 10%, then take Nefarian through 2 crackles while keeping some dots on Onyxia so she dies after the second crackle. That's probably the most standard tactic, to me it seems like your DPS is a bit bad or simply haven't learned how to handle Dominion properly yet.

Do you have traps/earthbinding totems up and maybe a backup mage or two casting slows if they see people walking to fast?