The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down I failed this time!

So yesterday I went and did a Spring cleaning, as I was planning to install this old Hyper 212+ that had been on my older mobo going unused, and I lost one of the posts. That's a different story, so I thought, what the hell, thing's torn apart, let's clean out dust and such.

For the record, I have a HAF X, so it's not an airflow issue. ;p

So before, with the Intel stock cooler and some Cooler Master High performance thermal paste, I was typically in the 20 Celsius range, sometimes going into the 30s, 40s tops when under any load. I have noticed though, today, CPU is sitting mid-30s. I think I may have broken or not quite pushed the push-pins in enough.... but I think if I had pushed anymore, I would've broken my mobo.... soooo. x_x

We'll see how 25 man raids go tonight! XD If temps are hitting over 50 then I think I'll for sure be taking the thing back off and re-attaching it, maybe making sure the push-pins aren't broken.

Anyone care to make a very low-cost solution in-case the thing is more or less broken? Perhaps a $10-20 cooler for the 1155 socket. Not even my local hardware store that has an aisle with probably a billion nuts, bolts, screws, etc, had a single post, the type that the 212+ comes with.... and CompUSA doesn't carry them anymore so they can't trade it out and mark it as "defective" as they suggested.

x_x
    So, what problems are any of you having? :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sq=1155...1&subsearch=Go

few decent priced 1155 there

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&...vancy&limit=10

maybe not able to get them were u stay, but im sure u know other sites
    Last edited by mmoc796e664f5d; 2011-05-18 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    if anything is broken as you say... it'll more than likely be a pin on the mobo... in which case unfortunatly it usually requires a replacement mobo (bit excessive I know) but pin brakeages caused by "user error" aren't covered in the warrenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    if anything is broken as you say... it'll more than likely be a pin on the mobo... in which case unfortunatly it usually requires a replacement mobo (bit excessive I know) but pin brakeages caused by "user error" aren't covered in the warrenty.
    It's fixable but a person with the needed experience and equipment might want more money for the task than the cost of the motherboard.
    It doesn't sound like a broken pin though.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-18 at 10:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's fixable but a person with the needed experience and equipment might want more money for the task than the cost of the motherboard.
    Kinda what I ment by usually :P unless you're skilled enough to do it yourself chances are you're better off replacing the mobo.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-lis...2a3f842a9f3016
    http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032272

or

Do you mean you lost one of the Stand-offs? If so take one to a hardware store and look for some threaded rod that will fit, then buy 2 nuts and a few washers that will fit in between.

One washer will be your stop and the other will have 2 threads left to be screwed into, id suggest adding a bit of thread lock to it as well but it will work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-lis...2a3f842a9f3016
    http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032272

or

Do you mean you lost one of the Stand-offs? If so take one to a hardware store and look for some threaded rod that will fit, then buy 2 nuts and a few washers that will fit in between.

One washer will be your stop and the other will have 2 threads left to be screwed into, id suggest adding a bit of thread lock to it as well but it will work.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm not even in raid yet and I'm seeing the CPU hitting over 50C.... and I was just questing in Badlands. >_>

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 11:28 PM ----------

Dear God! Sitting outside of the raid entrance I am mid-50s Celsius.

:'(
    Wow I'm excited.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 11:32 PM ----------

1156 socket is supposed to be pretty much the exact same socket size for brackets/heatsinks, correct?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    1156 socket is supposed to be pretty much the exact same socket size for brackets/heatsinks, correct?
    Yes, with every heat sink I've seen an 1156 design will fit on an 1155 socket.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laptops reach 90c if they aren't cleaned Mine is in the 70s.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.coolermaster.com/tech_sup...hp?action=Form

1 more option, you can lie and say you bought the item and it sat unopened for months then when you opened it you discovered you were missing a Stand-Off.

After all this is a China product and you never know :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Turns out my issue with the heat was an amateur mistake.

After a couple pulls tonight on H Twins in BoT, and seeing my CPU go into mid-60s, I decided better save the thing than risk any damage at all. So I get sat, turn everything off, tear the computer open, and pull the heatsink off the CPU, lo and behold, the "dot method" that people say you can do for this, is a flat out LIE. The dot had hardly spread out at all, the entire outside edge area, a decent area in size, was not covered in thermal paste. Cooooool. So, I clean it off, pull the CPU out to make sure the edges weren't damaged at all on the inside, happily saw I was good, reinstalled it, put thermal paste on it again, spread it out with the tube this time all over the CPU, and put everything back together.

I get back on, and watch as my CPU barely goes into the low-40s. Wewt!
    "A flower.

Lines between the heatpipes tends to be the usual recommendation for applying TIM on the Hyper 212+ Either way, as long as you get it to spread around it's fine.

Also, 60C is nothing to worry about on a Sandy Bridge CPU. 75C tend to be the recommended maximum to stay under for everyday use, and they don't start to throttle down to protect themselves till they hit 99C.

Yeah dot method is for flat and/or small circle heatsinks.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2