Why no love for the Blu-ray

I've been looking at a alot of builds suggested by this forum and i've noticed no one seems to include a blu-ray optical drive. I understand it doesn't have to burn blue-ray but they don't even read blu-ray. Is there a reason for this; blu-ray has been out for a while now - is there something new coming around the corner?

cause no games are put on blu-rays.

everything is direct download these days, regular dvd as a backup in brick and mortar stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iPluto View Post
    I've been looking at a alot of builds suggested by this forum and i've noticed no one seems to include a blu-ray optical drive. I understand it doesn't have to burn blue-ray but they don't even read blu-ray. Is there a reason for this; blu-ray has been out for a while now - is there something new coming around the corner?
    It's basically because nothing uses them apart from films so it's not needed. It's easy enough just to buy one if you need one. Also you have to remember that most people who play games will download/stream films whether legally or otherwise.

Not to mention most blu-ray drives have the worst software/drivers and may not even play all blu-ray movies. xD

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    there are no programs/games coming on blu-ray disk yet, so there are realy no reason to get one for your computer onless you want to watch blu-ray movies on your computer.

its better to save the money and get a real blu-ray player for your tv. the quality is much better on a real blu-ray player, then the transfor you get if you conect your computer to your tv.

watching blu-ray on a computer monitor is just not woth it. watching blu-ray on a 20-24" computer monitor doesn`t do any blu-ray movies any good. blu-ray movies are ment for 30"+ plasma/lcd tv`s. this is where you will see the difference between dvd and blu-ray
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

It was the same way with DVDs. Software was on CDs for a long time. Even WoW was on CDs when it was released back in 2004.

With the increased popularity of digital downloads, less software is being installed through optical media. Eventually blu ray will drives will replace dvd drives.

Then why don't game companies make blue-ray games? If i got a blu-ray drive wouldn't it be more futureproof for this very reason - ( I know in the world of technology nothing is futureproof - just for arguments sake). I'm a bit of a noob so the reason for not making blue-ray games is oblivious to me.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iPluto View Post
    Then why don't game companies make blue-ray games? If i got a blu-ray drive wouldn't it be more futureproof for this very reason - ( I know in the world of technology nothing is futureproof - just for arguments sake). I'm a bit of a noob so the reason for not making blue-ray games is oblivious to me.
    because as long as the games/programs are not big enough to be on a blu-ray dish and the blu-drives still cost alot for some users, there are no reason for the companys to use bly-ray yet.......... blu-ray are ment for movies and it will be so for a long time still
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    They do not make games/programs on bluray because only a very small percentage of the market has one in their computer.
    Only a small percentage of the market has bluray drives because no games/programs are released on it.

also, 3/4 dvd disks are probably still cheaper then 1 bluray

It's circular logic, but I don't anticipate it changing soon, if ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually the main reason companies dont use blu-rays for regular stuff (IE Data backup or Games) is all down to cost, why buy a blank blu-ray at £1 when you can buy 100 blank dvd's for 50p. (obviously prices are in refference to bulk buys)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I don't feel like spending $$$ on a bluray-reader + blu-ray movies when I can just....well, get them by other means. Seriously, blu-ray moves here are just too expensive compared to normal DVD's. I'll buy a dvd but I won't buy a blu-ray.

IMO the technology has fallen flat on it's face, it's nowhere near what people hyped it up to be.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    there are no programs/games coming on blu-ray disk yet, so there are realy no reason to get one for your computer onless you want to watch blu-ray movies on your computer.

its better to save the money and get a real blu-ray player for your tv. the quality is much better on a real blu-ray player, then the transfor you get if you conect your computer to your tv.

watching blu-ray on a computer monitor is just not woth it. watching blu-ray on a 20-24" computer monitor doesn`t do any blu-ray movies any good. blu-ray movies are ment for 30"+ plasma/lcd tv`s. this is where you will see the difference between dvd and blu-ray
    If I can tell the "difference" on a stupidly large pixeled 40" TV at 1080p, I can tell the same difference on a 24" monitor running 1080p.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

The discs are expensive (4-5 times more than a single DVD) and the devices that read/write on them are expensive too (5-6 times more than a DVD reader). That's why no one uses them for anything different than watching Blu-Ray movies.
    Right now there is a diminish of the use of DVD drives too. People use flash drives for file transfer, portable drives for backup and most of the content can be downloaded directly from the Internet (Steam, iTunes, etc)
    The point of not putting a Blu-Ray reader in the configuration is that it's useless for 99% of the people and someone who wants to watch Blu-Ray is likely to already have the software/hardware for the purpose.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-20 at 12:29 PM.

The cases for blu-rays are to small, they're not the same standard dvd/video/pc cd's case sizes, and thus they look out of place and ugly. Same with ps3 cases, dont like em.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait for it untill some games start coming on Blu-Ray discs.
    Or get one now if you got allot of blu-ray movies.
    Or if you are gettign a M-ATX case with only 1 disc space i would consider getting one.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar