Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Have your holy paladin heal with Righteous Fury up so that all the adds goes towards him. Have your bear tank root one and if it's got time before nef is landing taunt an add and let it hit him with Nature's Grasp active to root it. Have all 3 priests shackle adds as they get close to the paladin. I was going to suggest Ring of Frost from your mage but seems like you got a hunter instead. Holy Wrath stuns them if they break and gets too close. Hunter trap works as well.

I'm not saying this is the best option for you, just that you have lots of options which frees up a person so you have dps to push Ony and Nef. You have lots of CC's in your group, you might as well use them. Obviously the closer they're stacked for phase 3 the easier it gets to pick them up but you don't need it to be perfect to be able to do it. This is fairly easy to control with your holy paladin healing with RF. Just have the other healers cover a tank each until adds are down, then the paladin can assist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangomah View Post
    We just said screw it to the normal tac and didnt kite at all.

1 tank picked up both nef and onyxia while the other one (blood dk) tanked the others by the southern pillar. Just rotate cds on the mt and nuke onyxia and save all the electorcute sfor p3. Worked like a charm for us
    I honestly don't see how this is possible, do you have any proof?

Not to mention the insane dps requirement that would be for phase 3(burning him from at least 91%), how does your tank survive two breaths, the huge melee damage granted by the attack speed buff, while your raid is getting smacked by tail?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no need for the Hunter to specc BM.
    Just grab a Turtle, take all the defensive Pet-Talents. With the Misdirection-Glyph the Hunter is able to get all the Adds to the Pet and keep them there. Tell the Pet to stay in the place where you want the Adds to die. Using all defensive abilities of the Pet (including Cower) it shouldn't need all that much healing.

In the transition from P1-P2 the Hunter can switch from the Turtle to his normal DPS-Pet.
    Last edited by Carnivora; 2011-05-20 at 12:53 PM.
    You are not your Personal Rating, or your oversized HK count. Your value is not determined by your Epics, banked money or flying mount. You are not your character.

have your pally or dk round them up, then just sit there. for normal 10 man they really do not hit that hard, I used to do it myself. Make sure to have them pop a cool down though, no need for extra healing stress.
    "And lo, the spaghetti fell from his pockets like a horse off a mountain, in the image and likeness of His Almighty Noodliness."
    - Nessie 3:50

Quote Originally Posted by Reucht View Post
    erm.. no?

When Nef/Onyxia get close to eachother, they deal more dmg. Given the fact that one breath is already a tank-killer, how the fuck are you gonna handle two?

OT: P1 shouldnt be a problem really, just use a plate class (any will do) to pick up all adds, don't stand in lightning and drop em all in the same spot to make P3 easier.
    They get a haste buff with close proximity, not a flat damage buff. It's actually pretty healable on normal with a good tank.

Fury Warrior here. I usually kite the adds on P1 Nef. I throw on a shield, defensive stance and gather them up with T-Clap and Piercing Howl. We have our Mage Nova them, Paladin Holy Wrath then a Ring of Frost. After the ring wears off there's generally only one left up.

Our issue right now is the Tanks learning the kiting in P3 while dealing with Electrocutes. 30% has been our best attempt so far. We should get him this week.

We just zerg onyxia, the tank who tanks onyxia pick up the adds.
    Use BL in p1 and burn!

When she are about to die, use ring of frost to freeze the adds and they will despawn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikatrap View Post
    They get a haste buff with close proximity, not a flat damage buff. It's actually pretty healable on normal with a good tank.
    With full heroic gear on everyone? Possibly. However I'd like to see you post a video with your full raid in ilevel 359 or less using this tactic to kill him. Til then I choose to believe you are bsing.

As for the OP kick your mage if he can't do it and get a decent one.

Notarget is right, just did yesterday Nef 10 for the first time with my new guild, was surprised when they said i should go Rightous Fury, heal like crazy for the aggro [ Holy Radiance is crazy like a boss! ]. Then i just healed myself a lot, used Holy Wrath, after the stun fades, somebody just got them frozen, then i used Holy Wrath again, at that point [ with a lil kite ] they were dead. Then your dps can focus on Ony and Nef and this phase wont take long, but with so many priests, u can shackle most of them make this even easier

Similar to what was mentioned before but a little different. The strat I used last week to get it down on my alt was I as a prot paladin picked up all the adds and Nefarian. We had a DK tank on Ony. DPS just straight burn Onyxia tp push P2 as fast as possible. I stun the adds as much as possible and use all three of my tanking CDs back to back to back. It is quite a bit of damage, but definitely doable. The adds will end up staying active until the phase ends since they are getting hit by Nefarian's breath.

Then we just did all electrocutes in p3. Someone mentioned needing insane DPS to get Nef all the way down in p3. P3 is the same thing over and over again. So there is no rush except to beat the enrage, which is present no matter what strat you use. The shadowblaze eventually has a 10 second timer but never goes below that. If you can get the resets down with the 10 second timer then there is no disadvantage to having all electrocutes in p3. Many hard mode strats are to do all in p3, and on hard mode you will definitely have a long period of 10 second blazes even if you got electrocutes in p1.

If you want to check out our log. On WoL, the server is Dark Iron, the report is on the guild GIFT, it is the one for 5/16. If you look at damage taken you can see the graph spike early on.

A note on trying that for the first time would be to hero/bloodlust at the start. The fight has a 10:30 enrage timer, so you could actually hero right when you pull then if you are really pushing the enrage in p3 it would be back up for the last 30 or so seconds. Plus the enrage is not instant, so you would get the full second hero before Nefarian ends up running around and killing everyone.

The way we do it, we simply let the tank tank Ony and Adds, we nuke ony down as fast as possible, and then proceed to P2 --> P3.

This strategy is a bit gear intensive (on the tanks/healers), but seeing how you have a Resto Shaman and a Disc priest, P1 should be easily healable. And 355-359 gear is by far sufficient.

I don't want to make a new post for this so I'll just ask it in here

we don't have a problem with adds 1st phase its 3rd phase we have the most trouble.
    we run with

dk tank
    druid tank

ret pally
    mage
    hunter
    rogue
    lock

holy pally
    resto druid
    and either resto sham or holy priest

the way we have been doing it now is we have the ret pally (me) go prot and tank adds first phase and on 3rd phase the druid goes cat to dps
    I can't seem to get all the adds to lose their energy all at the same time even though im kiting them around like crazy. mage uses RoF as soon as they pop up, then hunter slows them. I use holy wrath every time its off cd but it still doesn't seem to be enough.

not really sure what im doing wrong

Deleted
    they we down him is that i (holy paladin) tank the adds ! i pop righteous fury and spam the shit out of my heals then when i get all the adds i use divine protection on cd (without the glyph! because u take physical damage) and holy wrath also on cd. the only other cd we use is a ring of frost by our mage, but tbh u dont need it. then wenn the adds despawn i'm at round about 30-40% mana then after the 1st eclectrosomething i bring the tank up und after that completly stop healing and use my mana reg cds (trinket and divine plea) after the run out i start healing again and start p2 with 50% mana ish.
    during p2 i reg so much mana that i come into p3 with up to 90% mana and p3 is freelot (if the add tank gets it right ofc )
    well thats how we do it and we down him easily
    just my 2 cent

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatrap View Post
    I admit that you are correct, but tanking 1 dragon to each tank is fairly intensive at breath time. Tanking both dragons means you will take 400% more damage (napkin! 100% x 2 dragons, each attacking twice as often) than normal.

I'm not saying that is unhealable, but it certainly isn't ideal. And nuking ony down so you have to do phase 3 with 100% Nef (on normal) isn't ideal either.

You gain the benefit of having the adds tanked and controlled in p1, but really?

If you are that worried I would rather use a 3rd tank, that has some decent dps (feral pref). It far far outweighs your tacts. (Although I am glad it works for your guild).

Quote Originally Posted by WindLeader View Post
    I don't want to make a new post for this so I'll just ask it in here

we don't have a problem with adds 1st phase its 3rd phase we have the most trouble.
    we run with

dk tank
    druid tank

ret pally
    mage
    hunter
    rogue
    lock

holy pally
    resto druid
    and either resto sham or holy priest

the way we have been doing it now is we have the ret pally (me) go prot and tank adds first phase and on 3rd phase the druid goes cat to dps
    I can't seem to get all the adds to lose their energy all at the same time even though im kiting them around like crazy. mage uses RoF as soon as they pop up, then hunter slows them. I use holy wrath every time its off cd but it still doesn't seem to be enough.

not really sure what im doing wrong
    You don't want to CC the adds in Phase 3. That is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfpwndd View Post
    You don't want to CC the adds in Phase 3. That is your problem.
    You can't CC them anywa, they are immune to all CC.

Unless you mean slows or snared. Not sure if that is technically CC or what you call it.

Not opening debate on what CC is, just saying for clarification.

I use howling blast on them to pull them, with snare, then gather them up in the middle. then use hungering cold. ..and when the 10 seconds are over, they are like 5 seconds from dying, which you can easily tank your way through even in dps gear, just use your icebound fortitude and death strikes for heals, easy peasy. in phase 3 just have the extra tank stand in the middle ready to grab em as they pop

Quote Originally Posted by Azimon View Post
    I use howling blast on them to pull them, with snare, then gather them up in the middle. then use hungering cold. ..and when the 10 seconds are over, they are like 5 seconds from dying, which you can easily tank your way through even in dps gear, just use your icebound fortitude and death strikes for heals, easy peasy. in phase 3 just have the extra tank stand in the middle ready to grab em as they pop
    Pretty much the same althoughwe use a hunter.

We specifically keep them away from the middle, as that is where we tank Nef in P3. Picking up adds when he is there and possible chance of breath is not good. We kill them all to one side.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhunt View Post
    You can't CC them anywa, they are immune to all CC.

Unless you mean slows or snared. Not sure if that is technically CC or what you call it.

Not opening debate on what CC is, just saying for clarification.
    No they're not. Hungering Cold works for one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthedbear View Post
    Our current raid setup is:

1 feral tank
    1 prot warrior

1 ret pally
    1 unholy dk

2 shadow priest
    1 mm hunter

1 resto shaman
    1 disc priest
    1 holy paladin

We used to have a frost mage in place of the MM hunter, but he was pulling horrible DPS despite his gear (full 359s, pulling 7k on fights like chimeron regardless of arcane/frost/fire spec) and couldnt even kite the adds when there were only 2 or 3 adds out at a time. So we haven't gotten past phase1. the above is our current comp. What would be the best way to deal with adds in phase1? Currently thinking of having the ret pally use righteous fury and tank/kite with holy wrath.
    Your best option is this.
    Let your Ret Pala tank them for P1 he can stun them with the AoE spell. He can stack them all up at the far end so then in P3 thye can be picked up easily.

I do it myself as an Arms Warrior and it works perfectly!