Best Video Converter out there (free of course)?

So I've recently been doing a few things here and there with video editing. Never got too much into recording with fraps for wow and other games, so idk if it is appropriate to start a topic here. Well since this is offtopic then I guess it is. Anyways, so I've been adding hardsubs to a few things here and there and I use aegisub to make the subs and virtualdub to put them on the video. All goes well most of the time and I am very satisfied with aegisub and virtual dub. However, virtualdub only likes files in an .AVI format and nothing else. For most of my work I've found the raw files that I put subtitles on as an AVI, but around 5-10% of the time my source will have an .MP4 which drives me up a wall. Aegisub can use MP4 but they tend to lag the program, while virtualdub makes it impossible to use it. Therefore I need a good converter to turn those nasty MP4's to AVI's.

So enough of the background, what is the best video converter that is free? I know about SUPER and I've found it to be useful at times, but every time I use it, it takes me like 5-6 tries before I can get the MP4 to convert with good sound and video. It also tends to freeze and bug out a lot. Can anyone recommend anything better than SUPER or am I pretty much just stuck using it?

Super TL;DR Need free converter to get MP4's into AVI's without too much hassle.
    Last edited by Ace192; 2011-05-20 at 03:43 PM.

I've always been partial to AVS Media Converter. I used to do a lot of recording that sadly came out in the .vob format and AVS was the only one that supported it.

Clicky if you want to check it out.

There's a free to try option (Or was years ago) and is well worth the buy free trials aside.
    Past 'rigs in service (Now the dad's gaming rig):

Current 'rigs:

I found videora to be a decent free option. It's designed to convert videos to iPOD and similar devices, but it has generic mp4 profiles, and you can make your own profiles too. It does have it's own issues though, but since its free, you might as well have a look.

Format Factory.

Hands down.

Deleted
    "Any Video Converter", you can also download YouTube videos and turn them into mp3 etc (you keep both the video and mp3 version). I strongly recommend you this software.

ffmpeg is the best but it is a bit hard to use since it is just a command-line program and it is usually used on Linux. There are builds for Windows available here: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ It should be able to convert any audio/video format to any other so long as you have the codecs installed on your computer for those formats.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Format Factory.

Hands down.
    Is it weird that I want you to have my babies? Holy crap this this is so beast. It converts sooooooooooo fast, basically no loss in quality at all, and it's free. Thanks a TON.

Quote Originally Posted by ace1231337 View Post
    Is it weird that I want you to have my babies? Holy crap this this is so beast. It converts sooooooooooo fast, basically no loss in quality at all, and it's free. Thanks a TON.
    Glad I could help out. Yeah, its not a well known program, but I agree, it's totally bad ass.