Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    Not sure if it's worth the 700kr (125$) though
    Corsair H50 is 540Kr on Netshop.no
    H60 = 595Kr
    H70 = 795Kr

Your options are limited on this one.

If you got a tripple channel CPU you can try with 2x2GB + 1x4GB. Seeing as you got an i5 CPU i would not recommend this. The reasoning for this is that the sandybridge CPUs are dual channeled. Meaning that they run best with 2/4 chips of ram.

You can stay with the stock cooler, viable option. But it wont be as quiet as an aftermarket cooler and your overclocking is pretty limited.

Or you can get a new CPU cooler aswell. Not neccesraly a watercooler but something that dont block your RAM slots.

Or get 2x4GB RAM and try to sell the old 2x2GB.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the Cooler Master 212 Hyper heatsink which keeps my i7-2600k @ 4.8GHz around 50c. I have 16G of ram @ 1600 speed.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Unless he is using Windows 64 bit he won't use more than 4gigs of memory anyway. And I really doubt that he's using programs that would use more than 4 gigs of RAM.

However, I agree that stock fans that come with cpu's are crap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Is it overclocked? If yes, no. If no, yes.
    This pretty much covers it. There are quieter 3rd party fans on the market but they are not strictly necessary.

A lot of CPUs these days have very high heat tolerance also. My i7 has a 98 Celcius TJ Max.

I would suggest installing core temp if you are interested in how hot your chip is running. You can even set it to log the temperature into a text file while you give it a good thrashing with a game or benchmarking tool.

---------- Post added 2011-05-21 at 12:05 AM ----------

I got 4 GB in total, Windows 7 uses 2GB out of those - that's 2GB left for games/music players/IM/10 tabs open in Firefox

I do have problems with tabbing in and out of games, and also some random freezes (task manager shows ~90+% used so..

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=502197 <- Current fan
    I would be slightly concerned if windows is using 2gb. I am currently using 1.5 with tons of firefox tabs open. The system itself is using around 1.25gb

A lot of task switching problems are also caused by how applications are designed by the way. Modern warfare 2 has a habit of causing a temporary system lockup when you alt + tab whereas I can switch fine running bad company 2/medal of honour on full.

10+ Year Old Account

This is what my screen/memory monitor looks like

Grey says Reserved Memory
    Green says Memory in Use - I can see it's 1.6gb although I'm really not running any programs so I'm guessing that's Win7+everything else.. that just means it's 2GB thats wasted it seems?

And I did take the sticks in and out. Maybe I should try the two other slots

Also, my friend tells me it's "2 gb reserved for pci devices
    meaning, usb, ps2 slots, pci/agp slots on the MB and so on
    Yes, normally it reserves 2 gb
    mine takes 2 of my 8
    "
    Last edited by Revelations; 2011-05-21 at 12:07 AM.

hmm i have 18mg reserved lol. do you have integrated graphics? maybe

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting thing:

I booted up only using 1 of my Ram sticks, that is 1x2GB, I still have 1.6GB used but the hardware reserved RAM is now only 5MB. wth.

edit: Computer couldn't boot up when I tried the other ram stick - guessing it's not working as it should...
    Last edited by Revelations; 2011-05-21 at 12:42 AM.

Also, my friend tells me it's "2 gb reserved for pci devices
    meaning, usb, ps2 slots, pci/agp slots on the MB and so on
    Yes, normally it reserves 2 gb
    mine takes 2 of my 8
    "
    Not really.

The 32bit version (consumer versions) have a 4GB max address space (a 32bit address space), that address space is not just for RAM but also for devices. (A bit simple said)

Depending on BIOS setting and Windows settings a 32 bit Windows can use 3.2 GB to 3.7 GB of ram. The remaining 0.8 / 0.3 is reserved for other devices. It's part of the legacy of the DOS era.

The 64bit versions of Windows have a similar restriction, but you will find it hard to ever come close to that limit. I'll admit I'm not sure if this is affecting EFI based motherboards or only bios based ones, never bothered to dig into that.

But as said, the stock cooler should work fine with the stock settings of the CPU. It mostly is a bit more noisy then 3rd party coolers.

As for Windows 7 mem usage. WinXP and before had the tendency to put a lot of stuff in it's page file. Vista and above rectified that and the OS now puts a lot more in ram then before. Instead of paging things from the page file into ram the OS will page things from ram to the page file if the OS needs to allocate more ram for other things.
    Last edited by Amorac; 2011-05-21 at 09:39 AM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    The 64bit versions of Windows have a similar restriction, but you will find it hard to ever come close to that limit. I'll admit I'm not sure if this is affecting EFI based motherboards or only bios based ones, never bothered to dig into that.
    So far its processor based. Current CPUs only can only address 48 bits of memory (or was it 40?) - a cost saving implementation as we're simply not going to reach that within their service lifetime. Its a simple matter to add the remaining bits, but its unnecessary as of yet.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-05-21 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    So far its processor based. Current CPUs only can only address 48 bits of memory (or was it 40?) - a cost saving implementation as we're simply not going to reach that within their service lifetime. Its a simple matter to add the remaining bits, but its unnecessary as of yet.
    I thought modern cpu's had advanced beyond that, and it's only the bios that prevents it partly. Not sure, and since it matters not, not going to find out and just assume you're right ;-)

The limit can be overcome in 32 OSes anyway, with a speed penalty but there are Win2k versions that can use 128GB, and with 64bit becoming more mainstream the legacy problem is hardly a problem.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~