Page 1 of 2
LastLast

someone please help!! :(

Hey guys I need some help. Recently I've been playing starcraft 2 and for some reason my computer screen turns off randomly. I looked up some forums for a some people said ur insides of the computer might be too dusty so I open up my computer and clean it with a duster. I close my computer, turn it on but the monitor doesn't turn on. I tried taking out graphic card and putting it in but nothing. This is extremely frustrating so if anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it. I can't get on my computer for the specifications and I'm typing this from my phone lol. Well, tnks again and pleeassee help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like your graphics card is shot. It won't power on at all?

is the monitor itself turning off maybe? have you checked connections? is it just when you're playing starcraft 2? has it happened any other time?
    These are just some of the questions I can think of off the top of my head... I would suggest checking those if you haven't already, if it's just when yer playing starcraft 2, then you may wanna make sure vid drivers are up to date... just a few suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by pickles11 View Post
    Hey guys I need some help. Recently I've been playing starcraft 2 and for some reason my computer screen turns off randomly. I looked up some forums for a some people said ur insides of the computer might be too dusty so I open up my computer and clean it with a duster. I close my computer, turn it on but the monitor doesn't turn on. I tried taking out graphic card and putting it in but nothing. This is extremely frustrating so if anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it. I can't get on my computer for the specifications and I'm typing this from my phone lol. Well, tnks again and pleeassee help!
    Monitor power cable is bad. Same thing happened to me. replace it and see. Also, does everyhitng else works?

plug it into your mobo (if you can) if its still happens its atleast not you gpu then its the cable / monitor

If you have a diff cable laying around (vga/dvi/hdmi/display port) connect it if that doesnt work your monitor just died

idk if you have a second screen (maybe a tv screen) connect it with a hdmi/dvi so you can see if your monitor just died
    Last edited by Aminozuur; 2011-05-20 at 11:36 PM.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

At first it only happened when I played starcraft2 but now the monitor does turn on at all, it says monitor going to sleep and. No signal, and all I did was dust it with those feather duster things I don't think that could've damaged anything?

if dont go like a nerd rage kid with the duster you can't do any damage to your pc

---------- Post added 2011-05-20 at 11:42 PM ----------

and if you have a laptop connect it with a vga/hdmi to it (the monitor) if it doesnt run its atleast not you gpu

Lol no I didn't do it rough just softly, and the graphic card fan spins and all the fans spin, the computer tower lights up but nothing

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure the way dusters work is to ccreate some stack charge so that the dust sticks to it...

That duster could have easily killed the graphics card through esd - although it is pretty rare, i've rubbed hardware on nylon carpets before and it's worked fine afterwards, but you could just be that unlucky... But again, i doubt it as wyou said you were already haveing some problems.

My money would be on the cable being either not properly seated (and beocme disconnected druning the duston..) or it's a dud cable. Make sure it's seated correctly and try a different cable if it still doesn't work.

use your recovery cd if your pc starts then (you can see something aka your screen works again) then it might be the hdd who just died (aka your boot drive died)
    Last edited by Aminozuur; 2011-05-20 at 11:47 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are you able to plug your monitor into the on board video out while your video card is not installed into the computer? If so try that. If that does not work change your video cable. If a new video cable does not work then there is a high chance it is the monitor, at which point you will want to plug it into another computer to verify the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Are you able to plug your monitor into the on board video out while your video card is not installed into the computer? If so try that. If that does not work change your video cable. If a new video cable does not work then there is a high chance it is the monitor, at which point you will want to plug it into another computer to verify the results.
    There's only twoplaces to plug in monitor cable and there both on the graphic card.

well you can't connect your monitor to you mobo then. Its best to ask someone who has a diff monitor to test it (let him bring the cable 2) if it then runs again its your screen if it doesnt your gpu/hdd died. Use the recovery cd to test if its your hdd if its runs its your hdd if not your gpu is dead

Deleted
    Before we can determine if it's hardware or software problems, we will need to know if your monitor can actually turn on, as in does the on/off button glow green, red, or no glow at all? Also,, you should vacuum clean a computer, not use a feather duster. At least so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by FruityFrodo View Post
    Before we can determine if it's hardware or software problems, we will need to know if your monitor can actually turn on, as in does the on/off button glow green, red, or no glow at all? Also,, you should vacuum clean a computer, not use a feather duster. At least so I've heard.
    My screen says no signal and then it says monitor going to sleep and shuts off

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles11 View Post
    My screen says no signal and then it says monitor going to sleep and shuts off
    Hmm, I had a similar problem once, only I was actually able to start up the computer and use it freely, but for some reason it would just shut down (the computer) and on my screen it would say "No Signal" and then my computer rebooted. It only ever happened when I was inside WoW. I don't really know what is wrong with your monitor, if it's the monitor and not the computer. Do you live at home, and do your parents own a computer+monitor you can borrow in that case? or a sibling, or even just a laptop?

Hmm, I had a similar problem once, only I was actually able to start up the computer and use it freely, but for some reason it would just shut down (the computer) and on my screen it would say "No Signal" and then my computer rebooted. It only ever happened when I was inside WoW. I don't really know what is wrong with your monitor, if it's the monitor and not the computer. Do you live at home, and do your parents own a computer+monitor you can borrow in that case? or a sibling, or even just a laptop?
    I don't have a computer but my brother has a laptop I can barrow in about 20 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Technically, you shouldn't vacuum either. Brushing with a proper hardware cleaning brush is the best way, since they're made to not cause or hold static, and you don't risk ripping off caps or jumpers if you're using a cheaply or badly made board. Vacuums, at least most of them, will be made of a plastic. I don't know the exact science behind it, but they'll generate an absolute mass of static, particularly around the attachments. It's usually ok to clean fans with them, but certainly don't go near any component with it.

A feather duster is quite likely the reason here as they too are known to build up static. Most of them aren't real feathers, but instead Nylon strands. Imagine it's your hair. When it brushes together, it generates static. This is why on hot dry days in atmospheres with no moisture, you can often feel your hair sticking together if you so much as push you hand over it. It's worse when you brush it with a plastic hairbrush. The same is happening when you use a feather duster to clean your computer.

Essentially, it does sound like ESD may have killed it. Unfortunately, most people don't ground themselves when they deal with their system. I'll admit, that a lot of the time, neither do i. There's some that don't but know how to handle hardware and not what to do (always hold it by the edges, or hold onto the heatsink if it's a graphics card). There's those that don't know how to handle it, and generally just grab it wherever they want. It's unlikely they'll kill it unless they're really careless, but it can happen.
    hmm i see.. tnks for the info, do u know if its possible to reverse this? i really cant afford a new graphic card so hopefully its gets fixed. just bought this one quite recently.

---------- Post added 2011-05-20 at 08:37 PM ----------

hey i just plugged the cable to my laptop and the monitor is working so it must be the computer.

---------- Post added 2011-05-20 at 08:53 PM ----------

anybody? please help me

If the card was truly damaged by ESD, it's done.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Also realize that the damage is probably system wide. Your motherboard, CPU, and GPU could all be damaged. Not to add to the crap pile.