Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post || Research Assessment || Video Game Addiction Survey ||

Hey there guys, for my course I have to do a research paper and what better topic to do than one we are all very, VERY acquainted with... video game addiction. So my current research objective is: "To investigate if a compulsive video game habit should be defined as an addiction".

I need as many people as possible to answer these few questions to help me out, so please try to refrain from trolling... there will be many more opportunities in trade chat for that. Some of these questions will be a bit stupid because they are very straight-forward like question 1 but please bear with it.

1. Have you ever played a video game?
    - Yes
    - No

2. Do you consider yourself a gamer?
    - If yes, to what degree?
    - Casual
    - Avid
    - Hardcore

- If no, do you see gaming as a possible future source of entertainment?
    - Yes
    - No

3.Can you define what a "hardcore gamer" is?
    - Please write your definition

4. Can you define what "game addiction" is?
    - Please write your definition

5. In your opinion, would you classify a hardcore gamer as a video game addict?
    - Yes
    Please provide reasoning why
    - No
    If no, please state the difference between the two

Thanks in advance to everyone who does help xD!

10+ Year Old Account

Yes

avid

Someone who plays to be the best and spends a lot of time to become or stay one of the best.

"Can't stop, must game."

- No, Because if you have the time left you can spend on it it is no problem, it becomes an addiction when you start to fuck up other things just to game.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yes

2. Yes, avid.

3. A hardcore gamer in my opinion is somebody who plays a game at the highest difficulty possible and strives for perfection when gaming.

4. Game addiction is when a person feels so compelled to play video games that it interferes with his/her life. Not going to school or work for example.

5. No. A hardcore gamer can be an addict but they are not the same thing. See my previous answers for the difference between them.

Good luck with your paper. I hope this information is helpful.
    Last edited by suttie; 2011-05-21 at 01:50 AM.

1. Yes

2. Avid

3. Someone who dedicates excessive time and effort to become the "best of the best" at said game/affiliated area.

4. Feeling compelled to play a video game in order to gain happiness, feel accomplished, or complete a daily routine that they cannot avoid.

5. I find it to be situational. If a person is ignoring other aspects of their lives to become hardcore, then yes. However, if they have the time and are free of other dedications, I don't see it being proper to classify it as an addiction.

Best of luck! -Sac

All in my opinion, of course:

Yes.

Yes, I'd say pretty casual in what I do(currently I don't raid and I don't PvP properly, I just do BGs and whatnot with friends whilst playing alts), though I play a lot time wise.

3. Can you define what a "hardcore gamer" is?
    Someone who plays to the best of their ability and finding every way possible to improve in what they do.

You can't get addicted to games!1!!.. Just kidding. Someone who is addicted, in my eyes, is someone who can't live without it, takes it far too seriously but more importantly puts gaming ahead of other real-life things such as hygiene, food etc.

No, as I said above; hardcore gamers try to be the best they can, but that doesn't mean they are addicted and put other things first.

Sidenote: I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but I just don't have much motivation to get a job/college course going.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-05-21 at 02:03 AM.

Yes

Yes, avid. I play whenever I get the chance, and can play for 6 hours plus, but I wouldn't consider myself addicted because I also do other things besides video games, and can tear myself away from the game.

I might be addicted to surfing the internet though >.>

Someone who sets aside time to game, instead of gaming when there is time. And also tries their hardest to be the best at what they can at the game.

Someone who neglects their own real life/family/job/health for the sake of the game. Probably playing 12 hours or plus a day.
    Also, any time away from the game is spent thinking about the game.

Not always. I know of many hardcore gamers that only play 3 hours a night.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Have you ever played a video game? Yes

2. Do you consider yourself a gamer? Yes
    If yes, to what degree? Casual

3. Can you define what a "hardcore gamer" is?
    I think a Hardcore Gamer is somebody who puts their gaming above all other activities/hobbies in their life. They may not put it above working, because they need to work to sustain themselves, but they put it above social activities as well as other hobbies. Example: A hardcore gamer in WoW raids Monday-Thursday nights. His family wants to have a get together dinner on a Wednesday, but he does not attend because he wants to game. A Hardcore Gamer is also somebody that will take certain liberties to make gaming easier/better. This can include spending lots of money on computer upgrades every year, to even having a huge supply of quick microwavable food to ensure cooking prep time is kept low to not interfere with gaming. It also means that they take their gaming performance very seriously. They typically do not play games for fun, but rather play games to be the top performer.

4. Can you define what "game addiction" is? Game addiction is when basic needs of yourself and those important in your life are being stressed/damaged by your need to game. It is more than simply "I want to game on a Sunday afternoon instead of going to see a movie." It is probably best to just answer this by providing a few random examples:

I - You neglect children's needs for both care and attention in favor of gaming
    II - Your hygiene/health suffers from gaming, for instance staying up late to game when you are sick
    III - Your school/career is suffering from time spent gaming, and to make yourself feel better about the setbacks you game more
    IV - You are developing negative social tendencies (ie becoming anti-social) because your only social interaction is gaming
    V - You very often have trouble sleeping because you cannot stop thinking about gaming (the occasional night is natural, but 5+ nights a week is addiction)
    VI - When you are not gaming, all you can think about is gaming, and when you do not game for an extended period (ie vacation), you exhibit withdrawal symptoms.

No, or more specifically not necessarily. A hardcore gamer can still meet all of their, and the people close to them, needs. They simply enjoy gaming above all else, and they cater their life towards that. They must still allocate time for other things, but gaming is their top priority. They are able to take breaks from gaming without major issues. I would argue that many Hardcore Gamers are Video Game Addicts, but I don't think being a Hardcore Gamer makes you an addict.

Good luck with your project!
    Last edited by tennesseej; 2011-05-21 at 02:09 AM.

- Yes

- Hardcore

Someone that plays games not for fun but to defeat the game

When you cant leave the computer

- Yes
    Because i dont play for fun. I play so i can beat Highscores and be better then others.

- Yes

Yup
    - Hardcore

Competitive. Strives for goals (IE to be the "best")

A bunch a bull someone made up 'cause they're mad they didn't invent videogames?

No. An addiction is the reliance on something. I do not rely on video games. I love playing them, learning how to play them, learning how to get good. But I do not rely on games.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Yes

- Avid

Someone who takes gaming to the next level, devoting a large portion of their time to being the best they can at any given game.

When someone literally devotes every single moment they can to a video game, taking any oppurtunity to play it and showing little to no interest in most other activites.

- No
    A hardcore gamer can be an addict however being good at a game and devoting time to it doesn't mean the gamer doesn't know when it's time to stop. If a hardcore gamer was described as a video game addict that would be the same as saying professional sports players are addicted to their respective sports.

How do these questions investigate whether or not frequent video game use is an addiction?

You are going about this the wrong way. You need to define addiction first then ask questions that pertain to your definition.

IE: Definition: An addiction means you do it X hours of each day. Question: How many hours a day do you play games?"

All of the questions you asked except for maybe the first one should already be answered in your abstract as a framework for your research. The questions you do ask should have as little room for opinion as possible in the answer.

These questions allow me to see what peoples views are on game addiction and if the general public can see a distinct difference between a hardcore gamer and a game addict, the two intertwining sometimes. Already in my paper I have outlined the various aspects of video game addiction but what I am trying to show but conducting surveys is that the public views game addiction as just that as video game addiction currently isn't defined as an addiction.

I'm aware that these questions aren't exactly the best to ask, but given my time constraints to get pen to paper, they will have to do atm ><

Also thank you for everyone who has posted thus far!

- Yes.

- Yes.
    - Hardcore.

- To me, a hardcore gamer is someone who goes the extra length, who puts that little extra into it, to always perform her best, in means of doing theorycrafting and alike. As a hardcore gamer, I almost consider gaming as my "second job", that's how serious I am about it, and I'm desperate to succeed.
    There's probably a difference between different hardcore gamers though. The top gamers of Paragon or Ensidia, who CAN devote their entire lives and will do so, to get the world's first, who makes it more of a living than a game or second job. Then compared to us mortals who have in addition to gaming, work or studies to take care of, but are still aiming for progress, server firsts and devoting as much time as possible to be the best. I wouldn't say being hardcore is about how much you game, to an extent. There's "avid" players who for example don't have very good progress, but raid 5-6 nights a week. I would claim that it's quality over quantity, even if I use the rest of my time to read up on WoW-related things. I do play a lot, it's the first thing I do in the morning, and then first thing I do when I get home from work, but I have certain days when I almost never play (usually fridays and saturdays) to hang out with friends and party.

- Personally, I would say that game addiction is like any other addiction, probably when it starts to take over your life, when you prioritize it before everything else. And then getting angry or upset when being told to do something else which really has bigger importance. When you can't see that, I would say that you're addicted.

- No, I wouldn't. I can be a hardcore gamer without messing up my IRL, which I would say is the key point. I would say the difference is that you, as a hardcore gamer, still have control of your life and can choose to hang out with friends instead of gaming sometimes, when an addicted person would plainly say no.
    Last edited by Litoru; 2011-05-21 at 07:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry not to answer your question directly, but i suggest Survey Monkey. Just post a link to it and you should get more responses, it will be easier for the people.

Yes

yes, casual gamer

- Someone who dedicates most of their day to gaming

- Ignoring more important tasks to spend time on gaming

No, someone can be a hardcore gamer without being addicted to video games - imo, hardcore gamer = dedication, while video game addict = unhealthy habit

- Yes

Yes, Casual. Used to be Avid.

Someone who invests a lot of time trying to maximise their performance - they're not content to just be "pretty good" - they're always pushing themselves to be better.

Being addicted to a game to the point where it is detrimental to other aspects of your life.

As far as I'm concerned, being a hardcore gamer has no bearing on addiction. If it takes me 5 drinks to get smashed, and it takes you 20 drinks, are you an alcoholic? Same principle. It's not about the level of gaming you play at, whether you're good, bad, play 10 hours a day or just 1 - It's about needing to play, even if you don't particularly want to, even if it is detrimental to other aspects of your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

- Yes

- Avid, 'was' Hardcore (no longer play WoW)

A Gamer who dedicated a set amount of time to Gaming, nothing else will be done in this time period.

Someone who could not stop gaming (long term, and as a hardcore player)

- No
    An addicted Gamer is someone who's life IS gaming, a Hardcore gamer is someone who incorporates gaming into their life.

Deleted
    - Yes

No, I passionately hate the word(to me it sounds like calling people who have ever watched TV couch potatoes or something) but I do play computer games casually and if I really enjoy some game and have time, avidly till I become bored of it.

Someone who takes games as a second job and spends hours upon hours to complete game achievements or train to beat other players and sincerely cares to be the best.

It doesn't exist. A person can never be addicted to video games. It's just an excuse to be weak willed and ignore some or most other, normal activities. It might be a mental disorder, like with eating but never an actual addiction.

No - I don't think anyone can be addicted to video games. It's just weak will or they really have nothing better to do and care about nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Yes

Avid to Hardcore

Someone that plays regularly with a desire to be the best they can be and always on the lookout to improve themselfs. Hardcore gamers are generaly quite good at the game of there choice and have built their skills up over time.

A point where you must play a game in order to feel releif or to feel a sense of self-achivement

- Yes
    Please provide reasoning why
    They play the game to a point where they are logging on at least once a day in order to imporve themselfs. Also researching/thinking about the game in their spare time.

Almost reached my target of 25 replies.. just need a few more people!