Raid healing Nefarian: Holy or Disc?

Hello fellow priests,

The past week me and my guild have been working on Nefarian. Our group combination is as follows:

Tanks: Prot Warrior and Prot Paladin, and Frost DK for adds.
    Healers: Resto Druid, Holy Paladin and me the Priest.
    DPS: Mage, Warlock, Shadow Priest, Enh Shammy and the DK from adds.

We have been habing problems with the healing. We have the Holy Pally on the Onyxia tank and the Druid on the Nef tank and the priest on the raid. The problem we are having is lack or raid heals. I went holy after a few tries as disc. FYI: I am better at disc then i am at holy. I can keep up with them solo until P2 when i go oom. What are your suggestions to me? Is the healing setup wrong?

I cant post links so please look for my guild. Its Unchained on Area 52. Please take a look at the May 20th attempts. Thanks for reading and looking forward to responses! OH!: If you want to..feel free to take a look at my toon and see if i all just screwed up.

h t t p : / / w w w . worldoflogs . c o m / guilds / 63137 / <--- I lied there you go.

Velosi on Area 52 -Thanks again.

The guy next door who steals your wifi :D
    roll a better healing class imo. Shamans are really good.
    You are such a good friend that if you and me were the last two people trapped on a sinking boat with only 1 life vest left, i would remember and pray for you every day.

I feel disc is better because of the way it can handle crackles.

People including Jhaz will say disc, and prob are right for ten. On 25 heroic we have had three priests, in which case one takes the kite tank, one does the shield a bit before crackle thing and a third goes holy due to the AOE burst healing of holy. The two discs work in barriers on the raid on a rotation with raidwalls ect.

on ten I killed him in december as holy (pre disc shield buff) and it wasn't bad as long as the druid and I were on the nef tank and raid and the kite tank had the pally. That was in blues, a couple of raid epics and even a green. The druid and I both worked on the nef tank and the raid throughout the encounter. Also, this is one time that I specced into veiled shadows, I could work in the shadowfiend before the push and go into phase two about topped, a concentration pot late into the phase two, or at the very start of phase three saw me through till I could hymn and fiend for a refil.. mind you this was before the holy concentration buff, and in blues. However, an ugly phase one, (unnessesary damage anywhere, or the bear just getting rocked or leaving nef and ony too close for even a second would derail my mana) it needed to be clean.

currently as disc on nef (I can't say for sure haven't done it in months and never on ten as disc successfuly) I think they are carefully healing the platforms, by carefully I mean pennance as need be, pom a bouncing, and casting smite for (EWWWWWW /hate) attonment heals. with shields on people getting rocked if need be. You can't shield spam that on ten it won't cover the healing and you'll oom out. I might be wrong but if you are trying a shield em all up spam poh system on ten you'll prob get destroyed.

So either is certainly doable. Barrier and useful sheilds now a days I'd give the edge to disc on ten.

Its certainly doable with either though.

EDIT, I was looking at your death log from a better attempt it appears that lightning and bone warriors were wrecking the tank. Better kiting might help, cd useage for electrocutes for him might help as well. this is a case where the TB trinket shines for him. Also.... ALOT of ten guilds kill him on regular with a hunter and a turtle doing the adds. :X = easy mode.

From your healing it looked fine. I"d say see if you can't work in a concentration pot in there. Personally on ten when I did it I stayed in "heal" chakra alot, at least till the waves of phase three electrocutes. there was a longish attempt your druid appeared to do jack shit, while a latter attempt he looked fine. again both of you should be using your strenghts on the nef tank, the raid after electrocutes (you have time, they don't have to be topped off immediately) as well as help the pally on the kite tank if you can, and he should help as he can as well. the healing lines imo get blurred in phase three on ten. if you can help efficiently, help.

another thing, i have no way to see what you are or are not doing... get the adds grouped up in a pile in phase one. so they come up as one, it makes it a slew easier for the tank to deal with them.

I originally did it on ten with nef being tanked on a side and the kite tank and pally running off around the room avoiding fire and kiting. = messy.

on 25 we tank nef in the middle in phase three. carefully turning her to follow the kite tank aroudn the room. this gives the stacked with raid nef healers a chance to help out on the kite tank as well. and generally keeps the room fire freeish. (we rotate and swap sides if we really have to) Good luck
    Last edited by Piccy; 2011-05-21 at 07:27 PM.

Priests with Nefarian

Quote Originally Posted by Ammunae View Post
    Hello fellow priests,

The past week me and my guild have been working on Nefarian. Our group combination is as follows:

Tanks: Prot Warrior and Prot Paladin, and Frost DK for adds.
    Healers: Resto Druid, Holy Paladin and me the Priest.
    DPS: Mage, Warlock, Shadow Priest, Enh Shammy and the DK from adds.

We have been habing problems with the healing. We have the Holy Pally on the Onyxia tank and the Druid on the Nef tank and the priest on the raid. The problem we are having is lack or raid heals. I went holy after a few tries as disc. FYI: I am better at disc then i am at holy. I can keep up with them solo until P2 when i go oom. What are your suggestions to me? Is the healing setup wrong?

I cant post links so please look for my guild. Its Unchained on Area 52. Please take a look at the May 20th attempts. Thanks for reading and looking forward to responses! OH!: If you want to..feel free to take a look at my toon and see if i all just screwed up.

h t t p : / / w w w . worldoflogs . c o m / guilds / 63137 / <--- I lied there you go.

Velosi on Area 52 -Thanks again.

Cool.. I was going to ask the same thing... heh

I originally did it as a Disc Priest, although I always felt it was more tedious trying to heal your raid up after a crackle.

I only killed Nefarian as holy so far though.

we run double disc + 1 holy.

i guess if there were only 2 priests they'd both be disc.

there's a lot of tank damage happening, disc is very very nice on the pillars (with atonement + CDs), having barrier for most of the crackles is nice too.
    Redsparowe#2548 <Crayola Inc>, Lightbringer EU

I found P2 easier to heal on my priest as holy than disc. PoM on cooldown, for 10man i sat in serenity. rolled renews on the 3 ppl and kept them rolling with heal/holy words. made sure they all lightwelled straight after electrocutes.

Thanks for the help everyone, and especialy Piccy. Thanks alot.

I would say holy...

Tried as disc before 4.0.6 aka shield buff and it was OK but ofc our healing setup was different-sham, me and druid...

But at Your setup put pala on one tank and heal with druid second+aoe...just put on tank full hots and spam cheapest heal....

If you+druid are running oom, let SP use both hymns, its priceless (one for mana, healing one after aoe)...

In P2, mending+renew rocks, P3 is just aoe...

We downed him last literally last week with the following setup:

Tanks: Prot Warrior (kite tank in P3), Prot Pala
    Heals: Resto Druid, Resto Sham, Disc Priest (me, healing add tank in P1 kiting tank in P3)
    DPS: DK, DK (Add tank in P1), Arcane Mage, Balance Druid, Marksman Hunter

I was previously having problems (in 4.0.6) both with keeping up with mana and healing through shadow barrages in P2 (using an AA/A spec with no SW/Imp. PW:S), but I wasn't spamming shields. I switched to a shield spam spec (no AA/A, with SW/Imp. PW:S, not having reforged to any stat other than spirit) the night we downed him, it turned P2 healing into a joke. I only had three people including myself on my platform, but just keeping everyone shielded with BT Renews rolling kept everyone on my platform topped off, and I entered P2 with 90% mana and entered P3 with around 45% with no cooldowns used other than the Valor +spirit on use trinket.

My comments were purely based on 25man. YMMV
    Redsparowe#2548 <Crayola Inc>, Lightbringer EU

Quote Originally Posted by Ammunae View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone, and especialy Piccy. Thanks alot.
    no problem happy to help =) and good luck!

also another little trick we used when working him on heroic (god I wish I had done this the first couple kills while learning it) is.... once we had phase one down and farmable. (which it seems you sorta do)
    we pushed right through with no crackles into phase two, reason being is to give us practice there and in phase three. once we were getting through consistently and essentially hitting the enrage on an attempt or two, we then did it for real.

those quick practice pulls kept everyone's focus in the endeavor, and kept us from wasting time redoing phase one.
    Last edited by Piccy; 2011-05-21 at 09:44 PM.

We used to run that setup, but a bit differently - holy pala + me (disc) on the tanks, resto druid on the raid. Druids really aren't amazing tank healers, so I'm not sure why you'd want one on a tank over a priest (inspiration is very nice on nef).

In normal its really a matter of choice, Heroic double disc is going to be the best even tho holy is in no way bad. With the change to raid cd's 2 bubbles brings a huge bonus for multiple crackles in heroic. Aswell as pain sup for kite tank and the ability to have a bubble on the end of every PoH. So really its Raid CD dependant if you absolutely need another Disc is better.

I play Disc, for pillarhealing it is PoH spam, PoM bouncing, PW:S for rupture proccs, Penance for the oh "shit moments" and regen (4 pcs) and barrier + DH for crackles. It works out just fine and in Phase 1 I would propably prefer to heal the Onyxia tank in your setup, freeing the druids aoe heals + being able to pre-shield before crackles on yourself + tank, inner focus > Binding heal after the electrocute (specced ToT for tankhealing).

Killed last night, with shaman-druid-holypriest (me)

I was healing a warrior on nefarian, used pet after first electrocute, then before phase 2 used hymn of hope. In the pillars spammed poh, using lightwell and having renew up all the time

Phase 3 pet and lightwell again, using guardian spirit on tank

Sorry for the English

when we did nef on 10 man we have a resto shammy holy pally and me as disc
    the shammy did raid, pally did nef tank and i did ony tank + kite tank
    i tried holy for some of the trys but we found it wasn't as stable