Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Firstly i'm going to say that this post does contain Portal 2 spoilers.
    I'm quite surprised at the number of Brink players assuming that EVERYONE who say's that they've heard bad things about Brink must be a Valve "fanboy". Personally, no, I haven't played Brink, but from what my close friends have told me, this is pretty much it:

1) It's too short, apparently you get all of the unlockables within around a days play.
    2) "Lone wolf" type players really ruin it for everyone else
    3) Single player is bad because of the bots AI.
    4) It is fun, given you get the right type of players on your team
    5) There are lag/fps issues.

It does sound good, despite it's flaws, but as a lot of people have pointed out, the main flaw with it appears to be the players themselves. Too many people playing with a Call of Duty attitude.

I have played Portal 2 myself, and honestly, yeah. I loved every second. Sure, it's a short game, really short by today's standards. But quite honestly I take quality over quantity. I still think it's brilliant, despite it's lack of replay value. I think it was a funny game with a really strong sense of atmosphere as well, with characters you really do become attatched to. I loved Wheatley from start to finish, and even GLaDOS becomes likeable once she's put into a potato.

And i'd just like to say, i'm by no means a "Valve fanboy". The only games by Valve i've ever bought have been The Orange Box and Portal 2. And I still haven't even done Half Life episode 1 or 2 yet, played very little of TF2 since no one is ever on it on the Xbox it seems.

Deleted
    Portal 2. Brink is currently pretty broken, so give it a few week/months to be patched.

Deleted
    Brink, portal is just Meh, its a bit over hyped, completed single player in 5 hours, the first time.

Brink is really a more team based game wich is awesome in my opinion

Wow..... I think I may have started a flame war here....

I played brink at a friends house last night and really enjoyed it but I wasn't sure how long it would last.

I think im going to get portal 2 first, and thanks to everyone who posted logical reasoning in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Armaggeden View Post
    Wow..... I think I may have started a flame war here....

I played brink at a friends house last night and really enjoyed it but I wasn't sure how long it would last.

I think im going to get portal 2 first, and thanks to everyone who posted logical reasoning in this thread.
    Good choice, though I think either way you went would have been alright. Both have pro's and con's if you're opinion is unbiased.

Like i said before, Portal 2 is a win no matter what. The only con for me in the WHOLE game is longevity. You'll get simply amazing content out of it while it's got you hooked and you'll be sp/mp multiple times with a smile on your face each time. Then it'll fade away until a DLC comes out.

As far as Brink, you really have to just like the specifics of it. If you like team play and dont care about KDR then you can overlook the smaller bugs everyone makes out to be so game breaking. Personally I have played Brink for more hours now than Portal 2. Does that make it a better game? No. They should not even be compared.

If you had fun with Brink, then you'll enjoy it again. The downfall to it is if you get stuck on a shit ass team filled with lone wolves, people not switching classes to balance out what is needed and chumps caring about kills instead of objectives, then the game falls flat and is easy to complain about. But that ONE game you get, where people lock strides and you simply destroy the enemy... that reminds you how dope the game is and you stick around for another five maps.

Deleted
    Dont Forget that the Portal 2 map editor is out aswell means people will be able to make their own maps so even more content then a few DLCs.
    Last edited by mmoc53d469cddd; 2011-05-22 at 10:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Portal 2 all the way! I WANTZ LEMONZ!

Only played portal 2 out of those, but I highly recommend it. the gameplay is flawless.

My favorite parts have to be the sheer massiveness of the landscape and attention to detail, plus the brilliant way they used dynamic music to add to the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2011-05-22 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    I have both, and although I do think Brink is pretty good, I still find Portal 2 infinitely more awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Portal 2, without a doubt.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both emphasize teamwork if you're looking for longevity in your game.

Brink is horrible on the consoles currently; A lot of lag, bad connections & hosting issues, framerate drops that make the game unplayable (Especially on the 360)
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Portal 2 Brink is over hyped and fells rushed to meet a release date.

Portal 2. Brink is... OKAY. Not great. The AI is disgustingly awful, so really you should only play with friends, but (at least with the 360) the games are SO disgustingly laggy its impossible to play online.

When I say awful AI, I don't mean poorly designed and failing in many places. I mean its designed in a way that your team is mentally retarded, and the opposing team is like Seal 6, intentionally.

That said, I really hope the SMART system doesn't get thrown away and never used again, it could be PERFECT for a CoD type shooter. In Brink, because you don't have a plain jane Deathmatch mode, the only reason to use SMART is to get over stairs a little faster, but if you opened the Brink maps up and allowed players full Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch without class leveling or objectives, it could have been the best shooter of the year. *you know, if it wasn't stupidly laggy*