Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't much to worry about as far as temps. As ispano said Intel CPU's do throttle at 94-95C and the shutoff is 98C(I have tested this unknowingly.. forgot to turn my liquid cooling's pump on hah!). In any case, Minecraft is also very inefficient as far as resources so as long as its performing well still I wouldn't worry at all about 100% load.

Here's some reassurance if you want.. I ran my 2600K at 56-63C for the course of 12 hours under full load.

Your Phenom is rated till 70C according to AMD So the shutoff is probably around 72C or so.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-05-22 at 04:27 PM.

Deleted
    To everyone saying 58C isn't much you should look at the original post and think twice before posting all of your INTEL temperatures.

OP with a bit of googling around I found several places mentioning that the critical temp for a Phenom 9550 is 70 degrees so you're at an acceptable temp, but cooler is better so cleaning your fans can only be a good thing.

Everyone else, safe temps vary greatly between processors so you should consider a bit before throwing around numbers like '98 degrees shut-off', for example for my Phenom II x4 955 the critical temperature as listed by AMD is as low as 61 degrees!

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Not AMD chips. The Phenom IIs tend to not like going over 62c. And, yes, I have one.
    Please STFU if you have no idead what you're talking about!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    However, you STILL use case fans for water cooling, and you STILL need roughly 6 fans for a good push pull config rad.
    ive never found that using a push-pull with a high end rad to work better, if anything all it does is doubles the noise

and if you really want silence, you might still be able to find a zalman reserator, my local microcenter has one, but nobody wants to pay $400 for it

---------- Post added 2011-05-22 at 05:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marine88 View Post
    Please STFU if you have no idead what you're talking about!
    actually, hes dead on, deneb phenom 2's overheat at 62c, thubans im not so sure about, but its probably not too much higher, they get away with this by being more energy efficient then intels, hence they have a lower normal operating temp

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    actually, hes dead on, deneb phenom 2's overheat at 62c, thubans im not so sure about, but its probably not too much higher, they get away with this by being more energy efficient then intels, hence they have a lower normal operating temp
    It's quite easy to look up the whitesheets and find that the Phenom 9550 is rated for 70C.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    It's quite easy to look up the whitesheets and find that the Phenom 9550 is rated for 70C.
    Just to add to yours

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...f10=&f11=&f12=

Yeah, and I used a Phenom II in my example. It was to show that AMD chips don't play well at the higher Temps Intel Chips are capable of.

EDIT: Aaand to prove my point http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...&f11=&f12=True

*Snip*
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-05-22 at 04:29 PM.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    I had my Phenom II X4 shut off at 74C haha.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and I used a Phenom II in my example. It was to show that AMD chips don't play well at the higher Temps Intel Chips are capable of.

---------- Post added 2011-05-22 at 04:26 PM ----------

I do know what i'm talking about. And, you know, that Avatar looks familiar. With that low post count, could it be you're a troll who's been banned on another account? Hmmmmm, I wonder.
    1. A Phenom II is completely useless in a topic where a person is worried about their Phenom 9550 overheating. [edit: Though checking your reply again, it makes a little more sense, since the other poster said any CPU can take 90-95C.]
    2. Trying to call out trolls is against forum guidelines. Report troll posts and move on.

i had a problem with my vents going nuts because of all the dust the air inside was terrible, if there was any at all. make sure u clean it up at least every 3-4 months

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    1. A Phenom II is completely useless in a topic where a person is worried about their Phenom 9550 overheating. [edit: Though checking your reply again, it makes a little more sense, since the other poster said any CPU can take 90-95C.]
    2. Trying to call out trolls is against forum guidelines. Report troll posts and move on.
    I was going to reply to this with the post in question, but you found it already, and I removed my other comment.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

EDIT: Aaand to prove my point http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...&f11=&f12=True

---------- Post added 2011-05-22 at 04:26 PM ----------

I do know what i'm talking about. And, you know, that Avatar looks familiar. With that low post count, could it be you're a troll who's been banned on another account? Hmmmmm, I wonder.
    Well, this is true, AMD isn't too good for higher temps. In my own experience you can easly burn AMD CPU when try OC it, while Intel can handle much higher temps and haven't really ever killed or seen dead Intel CPU what I can't say about AMD.

But 58C is fine, my record was 80C on my laptop for intel T4200 cpu and 70C on my old AMD 4400+ x2...

Always clean your PC from dust, it will help alot to keep temp on normal levels.

Deleted
    Nothing is open on sundays so I'll buy the compressed air tomorrow. I'll take this time to see if I got everything right. I'm going to use Dust Off.

• Hold the can up straight so it doesn't spray liquid instead of air
    • Don't let it touch computer components
    • Stop the fans from spinning while using the compressed air
    • Hold the case to be grounded (?)
    • Don't spray for too long

I've seen some people telling me to unplug the computer and other to keep it plugged in to keep it grounded, what should I do? Are there any parts of the computer that I should avoid spraying? If the computer is TOO dusty, should I use a different method (saw someone scraping it off the heatsink) before I use the compressed air?

Today when I tried to play League of Legends (Skype and Google Chrome on as usual) the heat went up to 62 C and was rising. CPU is also higher than usual but not at 100% like it was yesterday. Can dust really cause this much heat to build up? Does this have something to do with the lack of thermal grease?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkitozh View Post
    Nothing is open on sundays so I'll buy the compressed air tomorrow. I'll take this time to see if I got everything right. I'm going to use Dust Off.

• Hold the can up straight so it doesn't spray liquid instead of air
    • Don't let it touch computer components
    • Stop the fans from spinning while using the compressed air
    • Hold the case to be grounded (?)
    • Don't spray for too long

I've seen some people telling me to unplug the computer and other to keep it plugged in to keep it grounded, what should I do? Are there any parts of the computer that I should avoid spraying? If the computer is TOO dusty, should I use a different method (saw someone scraping it off the heatsink) before I use the compressed air?

Today when I tried to play League of Legends (Skype and Google Chrome on as usual) the heat went up to 62 C and was rising. CPU is also higher than usual but not at 100% like it was yesterday. Can dust really cause this much heat to build up? Does this have something to do with the lack of thermal grease?
    That's not even that high. Just ignore it.

Deleted
    It was said previously in the thread that the max temp for my CPU was 70 C.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. Don't worry about it. You're nearing the roof, but if that's as high as it gets, you have nothing to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and you're 8C below.. It's common for stock heatsinks to reach the top range of temperatures.

Clean out the fans.

Also, 58C is a good temp. to be at. When it is consistently at 95C+ or whatever your max happens to be, start worrying.

Your PC is telling you to stop playing that bad excuse for a game

I'm at 54-57 right now.. no stress..

when it gets to 90C, then it might be time to shut some stuff down..