Deleted

50k on my disposal

Hey guys, I've got a few questions. I've always been a poor chap on the gold part but my friend stopped playing WoW and gave me all his gold (+- 50k gold).
    Because I don't like being poor anymore I'd like to start earning a steady income. I've got this 50k to invest now and I'm wondering what I should do. I got the following characters

85 pally (engineering,jc)
    85 dk (no professions)
    68 shaman (no professions)

I play on a high pop horde realm so farming is kind of hard. I'm wondering what do you guys suggest for me to do to start making some cash. I can level up wathever professions on my dk. I'd really appreciate some indepth, detailed feedback. If you want I can give you guys the AH prices of most of the mats, flasks and glyphs. Just let me know

Level enchanting and Alchemy

Combine with JC

Read guides

Profit
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post

Combine with JC

Read guides

Profit
    Could you elaborate on that? How do those combos work out?

You can buy ore to prospect with JC, green gems turn into greens to be DE'd

You can use alchemy transmutes to transmute blue gems, cut with JC for profit.

These are the most basic, you can find a lot of ways with each individual profession as well.

Edit: Blacksmithing is another solid choice for greens to DE, though I use it mostly for belt buckles these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

Quote Originally Posted by Boargrylls View Post
    Could you elaborate on that? How do those combos work out?
    alchemy can transmute gems, gems then cut by JC = profit
    JC makes cheap neck/rings, enchanter disenchants = profit

as for what to invest in. for me its currently saving JC daily tokens, buying out cheap pyrite ore, hording it for when epic gems are released.

Deleted
    You can buy ore to prospect with JC, green gems turn into greens to be DE'd

You can use alchemy transmutes to transmute blue gems, cut with JC for profit.

These are the most basic, you can find a lot of ways with each individual profession as well.

Edit: Blacksmithing is another solid choice for greens to DE, though I use it mostly for belt buckles these days.
    Belt buckles are about 80g, ore is about 25g a stack, hypnotic dust about 3-4g each and greater celestial about 25g. Inferno's are 50g the rest are around 25g.

Deleted
    you dont mention if your professions are maxed or not on you Pally, if there not get them maxxed out asap.
    Professions wise, what sells well varies from Realm to realm,

I found that Enchanting have a very nice profit return if you do some research on what sells, so you could look at that for your DK
    you would really need to see what sells well on your AH. Forget about trading on the trade channel, no serious traders do this,
    Blacksmithing is an option so you can get your self some items when there released in firelands though.

For your shaman, I would suggest that you level LW + Skinning together, Sure it means going back and doing a fair amount of skinning but you will be able to make your self gear as you level up. once you have reached level cap you could switch skinning to either inscription / alchemy depending on what your servers economy are like.

The order I would suggest that you leave Enchanting to last to level, so you can send the greens and blues you make as you level your other crafting professions to that character for DE. then use those dusts to create scrolls to level up with and sell them on the AH. You will more than likely make a loss on all professions as you level them, if this is the case do not worry as this is normal. once you have maxed out your professions and have some recapies that people need then you will start seeing gold to creep up.

as I have said, it is highly dependent on your realms economy, but I would guess at around 20k to max out all professions if you just sit in the AH buying stuff.

Next thing to do is roll a bank character (assuming you don't have one) if possible get its own guild sorted and buy one tab to start with, and then dump all remaining gold in there, This will give you added thinking time when you want gold for something, and stop you (well at least it stops me) from impulse buying vanity items and wasting your windfall.

one of the most important things you could look at doing is getting a auction mod like auctioneer and looking for some guides on how to use it, there's a few on youtube, once you have the basics, you could start at playing the AH, This means looking for items with a low price then re-listing them at a higher one, this is know as Buy low sell high, or flipping. popular items could be anything from enchanting mats, ores, herbs. to Epic items. This is by far the best way to earn gold, however not only can you make huge amounts, you can make a huge loss if your not carefull.

Other tips to think about are
    what holidays are coming up in game ? do I have any professions that can create items for it (mainly cooking) ?
    Read patch notes, and blue posts; example recently mentioned that the orbs would at some point become BOE - is it worth hording them till then and selling them on for a proffit, or is it worth using them on crafting ?

one thing I do also is just before I am about to log off for the night, I send all the gold except 200g, and what ever is in the mail from the AH to my banker and dump it its guild bank, this way I know I have gold for repairs next time I log on and gold from AH sales to re-invest.
    I will not lie to you, you will only make small amounts at first. but once you get the hang of what sells well, and how to play the AH (or manipulate a market so your controlling it) you will make a lot of gold.

When I started out I was happy making 500-1k a day. Now I am making 2-3k profit a day per character, its not a great deal, but I only play the AH / craft for about 30mins to an hour, the rest of the time im just chatting with guildies and friends between raids.

Edit -
    I could Make a Hell of a lot more, but just by using what I have mentioned above, I am sat on a personal Gold Fortune of around 100k, all of my character have got 310 flying, and any BOE epics / enchants they need. I also have 7 and half Guild bank tabs (I have 2 Guild bankers) filled with pyrite ready for when they announce epic gems from them.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2011-05-22 at 11:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    you dont mention if your professions are maxed or not on you Pally, if there not get them maxxed out asap.
    Professions wise, what sells well varies from Realm to realm,

I found that Enchanting have a very nice profit return if you do some research on what sells, so you could look at that for your DK
    you would really need to see what sells well on your AH. Forget about trading on the trade channel, no serious traders do this,
    Blacksmithing is an option so you can get your self some items when there released in firelands though.

For your shaman, I would suggest that you level LW + Skinning together, Sure it means going back and doing a fair amount of skinning but you will be able to make your self gear as you level up. once you have reached level cap you could switch skinning to either inscription / alchemy depending on what your servers economy are like.

The order I would suggest that you leave Enchanting to last to level, so you can send the greens and blues you make as you level your other crafting professions to that character for DE. then use those dusts to create scrolls to level up with and sell them on the AH. You will more than likely make a loss on all professions as you level them, if this is the case do not worry as this is normal. once you have maxed out your professions and have some recapies that people need then you will start seeing gold to creep up.

as I have said, it is highly dependent on your realms economy, but I would guess at around 20k to max out all professions if you just sit in the AH buying stuff.

Next thing to do is roll a bank character (assuming you don't have one) if possible get its own guild sorted and buy one tab to start with, and then dump all remaining gold in there, This will give you added thinking time when you want gold for something, and stop you (well at least it stops me) from impulse buying vanity items and wasting your windfall.

one of the most important things you could look at doing is getting a auction mod like auctioneer and looking for some guides on how to use it, there's a few on youtube, once you have the basics, you could start at playing the AH, This means looking for items with a low price then re-listing them at a higher one, this is know as Buy low sell high, or flipping. popular items could be anything from enchanting mats, ores, herbs. to Epic items. This is by far the best way to earn gold, however not only can you make huge amounts, you can make a huge loss if your not carefull.

Other tips to think about are
    what holidays are coming up in game ? do I have any professions that can create items for it (mainly cooking) ?
    Read patch notes, and blue posts; example recently mentioned that the orbs would at some point become BOE - is it worth hording them till then and selling them on for a proffit, or is it worth using them on crafting ?

one thing I do also is just before I am about to log off for the night, I send all the gold except 200g, and what ever is in the mail from the AH to my banker and dump it its guild bank, this way I know I have gold for repairs next time I log on and gold from AH sales to re-invest.
    I will not lie to you, you will only make small amounts at first. but once you get the hang of what sells well, and how to play the AH (or manipulate a market so your controlling it) you will make a lot of gold.

When I started out I was happy making 500-1k a day. Now I am making 2-3k profit a day per character, its not a great deal, but I only play the AH / craft for about 30mins to an hour, the rest of the time im just chatting with guildies and friends between raids.
    Thank you for this detailed response. On my paladin jc/engineer/fishing/cooking is maxed so that's not an issue. I'm thinking of making a bank alt so thats something nice. So you suggest picking up enchanting on my dk. What's the main profit of enchanting and is it enough profit to make up for the high cost of leveling it? Also flipping looks interesting but tricky, any addons that can help me with it?

Deleted
    best addon for flipping is auctionner, however you will need to scan the AH for a week at least to get the average price on items,
    For enchanting yes, the proffits easily out weight the costs involved in leveling it.

You would need to grind a little rep, but thats not hard any more, you can get the enchants suchs as +15 agi on weapons (for BOA Levelers and twinks) Shatter abyssal shards into dusts and essences, DE JC items such as the Carnilian Spikes, Rings etc for cata Dusts. all of these could either be sold on the AH or turned into scrolls to be sold. I also watch trade for people looking for enchants, I never ask for a fixed fee though, I simply ask for a fair tip. some people give me 10g, others have give 1500g for scrolls of the new enchants to be sold on the AH this was prior to ZA/ZG free crystals for all instances of course

Combine with JC

Read guides

Profit
    this is a goldmine.

been doing it, easy way to hit 1mil goldcap

Quote Originally Posted by dankestbuds View Post
    this is a goldmine.

been doing it, easy way to hit 1mil goldcap
    yes also me has goldcap to

lolz @ gathering profs

I concur with enchanting and alchemy. I make a lot of money selling enchanting mats from all stages of the game. I recently got exalted with Netherwing on an alt for the mounts and DE'd every green that dropped. I also generated a lot of netherweave bags that sold but that is a different profession! Scrolls may not sell as well on a high populatin server unless you are interested on getting some enchants that can be placed on heirloom weaponry (like Crusader and the agi chants from Timbermaw). However, those weapons now "expire" at 80 so unless something comes along in Cata they likely won't be reliable money makers. Enchanting mats always sell though.

Alchemy with a xmute specialization will be an easy money maker when/if epic gems become available as they have in past xpacks. That daily xmute is arguably the quickest/easiest way to make good gold. Add on top of that the market for raiding flasks and you have a fairly conssistent money maker.

Max out JC at least ,
    Do dailys each day and get red pattern , orange pattern and purple pattern.

Level Enchanting
    Level Alchimist transmute master

Lvl your toon Shamman to lvl 75 at least

Lvl another Max Alchimist transmute master
    Lvl Inscribe Max , and do your research each day to learn all the pattern with this you can sell glyph and darkmoon fair cards $$$$$

Do your Alch cood down each day ( True gold or Transmute elemental into volatile fire or Air)

Gathering profession ?
    with your gold you can buy the Ore and the herb stack when they are low price ( late in the morning afternoon) then Propec , Milling and stuff.
    Last edited by Phuongvi; 2011-05-22 at 02:57 PM.

Deleted
    Is there an advantage of being at 85 for inscription in comparison to being level 70?

Hire a team for 50k to farm old raids with you

10+ Year Old Account
    Herb/Alch is a really good combo

I have Jc/Engineering on my warlock and herb/alch on my Dk, it's a very good combo

Quote Originally Posted by Boargrylls View Post
    Is there an advantage of being at 85 for inscription in comparison to being level 70?
    You have a better shoulder buff ?

Deleted
    I survived from end TBC upto 2-3 months into Cata from 20k gold I earned in TBC (only made 300g from AH according to statistics in achiev tab). Basicly I didn't earn any money before achievements came out.

If you just watch the things you buy and can be happy with basic stuff you can easy make a long run with 50k...even with getting yourself best raid geared possible.