Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

2nd HD makes my pc freeze

I had an external HD, and something in the PCB broke, so I decided to put that HD in my computer.
    Now every time that HD needs to load, it freezes my pc for a few seconds. Is there some setting I need to change to fix this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 44thsavage View Post
    I had an external HD, and something in the PCB broke, so I decided to put that HD in my computer.
    Now every time that HD needs to load, it freezes my pc for a few seconds. Is there some setting I need to change to fix this?
    Does it have an OS on it trying to boot ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it go into a hibernate mode? Like... does it spin up when it needs to load something.

Deleted
    it does have an OS on it yes, but why would it try to load when im already in windows?

so to fix it I have to remove the OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Does it go into a hibernate mode? Like... does it spin up when it needs to load something.
    ye its like that

same deal with my third, but I have no OS

it does have an OS on it yes, but why would it try to load when im already in windows?

so to fix it I have to remove the OS?

ye its like that
    Sounds more like it's some power saving feature that's on. The previously external disc can also be some special low power model that forces the power saving feature and you can't turn it off normally.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Sounds more like it's some power saving feature that's on. The previously external disc can also be some special low power model that forces the power saving feature and you can't turn it off normally.
    well I wouldn't mind if it was just the HD booting up, but freezing the entire pc is annoying when your on skype etc..

It used to boot up afther going in stand by or whatever when it was still an external, but it never affected anything else then that HD

Deleted
    Yeah, I have 3 hd's and when my third powers up my PC freezes for a few seconds.

I just assume its the OS trying to read from a previously asleep HD that causes the OS to freeze.

-Edit

Although it has no reason to read from the disc at all, its an unused hard drive that has a previous installation of Windows on that I've kept simply because it means if I've forgotten a save file to copy its not lost to me.
    Last edited by mmocd5adff39f2; 2011-05-22 at 02:10 PM.

Deleted
    but then why does it only does that when its inside the pc and not external?

but then why does it only does that when its inside the pc and not external?
    I assume it has something to do with being a USB component to a SATA component. I could be wrong.

Deleted
    I don't think so, as I said, I have 3 internal HD's and this same thing occurs to me when my third HD spins up after periods of inactivity.

It could be wiring, but it could also have something to do with the temperature inside the case, as opposed to being an external.

Edit :: Is your power supply strong enough to handle it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    It could be wiring, but it could also have something to do with the temperature inside the case, as opposed to being an external.

Edit :: Is your power supply strong enough to handle it?
    For me atleast - I should have plenty of power spare, and the disc is fine once its spun up, its simply the starting of the HD that lags the PC.

And the temperature is more than acceptable.
    Last edited by mmocd5adff39f2; 2011-05-22 at 03:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because when the hard drive spins up the first thing that is read is the OS, which naturally tries to load, (this causes the momentary freeze)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Because when the hard drive spins up the first thing that is read is the OS, which naturally tries to load, (this causes the momentary freeze)
    Untrue. It won't load your OS unless it's your boot drive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Why on earth would it naturally want to load an OS that was not booted from? I used to run a triple boot back in the days with 3 HDD's (XP, Vista and Ubuntu), never had this issue.

Try checking in the power plans of your PC OP, maybe some power off feature is checked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Why on earth would it naturally want to load an OS that was not booted from? I used to run a triple boot back in the days with 3 HDD's (XP, Vista and Ubuntu), never had this issue.

Try checking in the power plans of your PC OP, maybe some power off feature is checked.
    power plans? im guessing you mean the bios?

10+ Year Old Account
    power plans? im guessing you mean the bios?
    I'm guessing he's not. In the windows control panel, find Power saving (/energy) options, edit power plan settins, advanced power plan settings, find hard drive power settings and where it says "turn off after xx minutes" you set it to "never".

Deleted
    ok thanks, i'll let you know if it worked

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    I'm guessing he's not. In the windows control panel, find Power saving (/energy) options, edit power plan settins, advanced power plan settings, find hard drive power settings and where it says "turn off after xx minutes" you set it to "never".
    I think you just won the internet, sir.