Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    1-20 is will be a bit rough, but after that you're gonna love it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't figure out the trial -.-

It asks me to apply a code...? I don't understand and I feel like an idiot imo, can anyone help? (x

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by menanaman View Post
    I'm trying the trial

Is there any class similar to death knights? You know, melee class with spells (i like frost and shadow spells) and maybe heavy armor?

what class is easy to level up? what class is good in pvp? what class does good dps? tell me... tell me everything
    Reaver i would say~, but thats a tanking tree, still dont let it stop you from experimenting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I believe this to be a "If you have to ask..." scenario.

If you can't tell if you're going to like a game from watching the shitstorm of videos and reading all the current reviews to the point where you feel as though you've got to ask people on a WoW forum for their opinions, then don't get it. You clearly don't want it bad enough, and currently it's 50 bones plus monthly fee.

Take that money and fund a picnic off of a forest trail with a special friend instead.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by menanaman View Post
    I'm trying the trial

Is there any class similar to death knights? You know, melee class with spells (i like frost and shadow spells) and maybe heavy armor?

what class is easy to level up? what class is good in pvp? what class does good dps? tell me... tell me everything
    I think there is a type of rogue that is similar to DKs...they use magic. But I don't think there is a class EXACTLY like it

As for your other questions, no idea...Lol. I do know I get slaughtered by melee in BGs from time to time...I'm a mage. Don't be surprised if you die 5435 times either in the first day or two lol =D

---------- Post added 2011-05-22 at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WolfManC View Post
    I can't figure out the trial -.-

It asks me to apply a code...? I don't understand and I feel like an idiot imo, can anyone help? (x
    I think you are accidently trying to sign up for the Ascend a Friend, which is different than the trial (ascend a friend lets someones friend try it...or something, so same thing but you need a code I guess..lol) so make sure you're clicking on the right thing, I didn't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Magepot View Post
    I haven't saw anyone that left WoW for Rift come back . Lol.
    I saw plenty. Most of them stated that Rift is fun for only a month.

I played the free trial and, I didn't like it because its almost directly a copy of WoW.
    Questing is the same as in WoW, no new twists, just kill this, kill that, gather this etc, too grindy, in some regards its even worst then WoW, at least WoW now has phased quests/events and vehicle combat to spice it out. Also, there is a lot of running around in Rift, WoW did it right by giving lots of flight paths or free transport from one quest hub to another so you wouldn't get bored, well you find almost none of that in Rift, its walk from one place to another.

Oh and the biggest work of copying they did was in regards to the talent trees. While the "Soul system" at first might seem different and appealing, and many people say you can play how you like, don't be fooled by this. In reality its just like WoW, the three Soul trees you need to pick work like the three WoW talent trees in the sense that you need to invest more points in one and use the others just to boost your main.
    There are already optimal builds being made for both PVE and PVP, and pretty soon that hostile mentality will crop up, the one that says, "if you don't play your optimal DPS, heal or tank build then you fail and you won't do raids or dungeons or PVP".

Also, not only is the Soul system as a whole a failiure and copy some of the talents and abilities are exact copies of WoW ones. The paladin soul tree has almost all the paladin abilities you know from WoW, Avenger's shield, lay on hands, bubble, taunt etc. Rogues still use energy and combo points. While I only played Rogue I had friends that played other classes/specs and they all said they are direct copies of WoW.

The dungeons work just like WoW dungeons, you kill trash to get to bosses and then you need to pay attention to what bosses to to defeat them, interrupt their abilities, move out of the bad stuff etc.

Lastly and worst, Rift plays just like WoW, you need to do quests to advance in level, do dungeons and PVP for better loot, and end game do better PVP or raids.

So, in conclusion. Rift sucks. If you got tired of WoW, you will get tired of Rift since it basically copies WoW in almost every way, from questing, to talents to dungeons and to how it plays.

My advice, wait for The Old Republic or Guild Wars 2, don't play that shit called Rift.

Deleted
    I tried the trial yesterday without reading too much into the details, I got really dispointed when the level cap message poped up when I was about to ding 16

A breath of fresh wind in the shape of a new and fresh MMO fantasy game, not quite as exciting as a new WoW expansion but definitely enjoyable. I don't see myself purchasing it though, but I really recommend that you give the trial a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your are bored of wow chances are you'll get bored of Rift pretty fast : /

If you're bored with WoW don't go to Rift, from my experience it was very similar like WoW but the graphics give you a headache.

Eh, that's all the thoughts I've had about it.

I played it in beta which was fun since it was new...but after a week playing the actual game it's an exact clone of WoW / Warhammer Online / other MMOs....they really didn't come up with any ideas of their own in the game and just took a bunch of other MMO features and jammed them into one game.

I ended up going back to WoW because I felt that if I was playing Rift...I might as well just play WoW simply because WoW has a lot more things perfected.

Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't gotten sued for copyright infringement yet...and I see a lot of others with the same thoughts.

So final thoughts, yea it's new and fun, but it's just an exact replica of a bunch of different MMOs and no real ideas that they came up with on their own....they couldn't even think of ways to rename the moves in the game which are the exact same moves different classes get in WoW...with the exact same names. (Sinister Strike, Backstab, Aimed Shot, Multi Shot, Life Drain, Shadowbolt, Life Tap....just to name a few)

Quote Originally Posted by Magepot View Post
    I haven't saw anyone that left WoW for Rift come back . Lol.
    I did, and so did some others I played with. On top of that, everyone I know who started playing Rift, even if they had quit WoW long ago, has already quit Rift, with the exception of 2.

I got to 50, got some epics, and then just had a feeling of "OK, now what?"

As far as questing goes, it quickly becomes pointless. The xp rewards are insignificant once you make it to mid-levels, and totally pointless once you reach the end of leveling. Quests are worth about 4000xp for a turn in, but they usually require you to kill like 12+ specific mob types which are worth 800-900 xp each. You can easily just grind out mobs or PVP for xp instead. It's more efficient. The quests aren't anything different than what you get in WoW, and WoW actually offers things that Rift does not.

Rifts are interesting for a while, but then they just become a hassle or a distraction after a while. If you're in a zone with a low population and some major rift spawns right on your quest area, that's downright annoying. They don't really offer much in the way of rewards, either.

Crafting seems pointless. That's about all I have to say about it.

Instances are kind of fun, but they aren't much of a challenge. The game has no addons, and the only damage/healing meter I know of is a Java program that has to run alongside the Rift game. Most people don't even bother, because it doesn't really matter. Healing doesn't require you to know or manage your spells that closely, tanking isn't that demanding, and DPS just seems totally arbitrary. You can have 3 people of whatever class just slamming buttons and you'll make it through most instances without even thinking about it.

PVP just seems like WoW to me. There's only BGs, not really any sort of arena. Things are just as unbalanced, if not more so in Rift.

Forget pugging Raids or Raid Rifts. If you're not in guild, don't expect to ever see that content.

Quote Originally Posted by Admuntour View Post
    Wow is totally original. The things Rift has in common with it weren't around for a decade beforehand.
    Did I quote you right?

Deleted
    again, people, stop saying its a copy of wow because it isnt. Get past the lower levels and you will see how different it is. The only realy big thing that killed it for me is the questing.

And im not playing for technical reasons (terrible graphics engine and sluggish UI)

Deleted
    I'd say no but thats just me. They've seen to have taken everything that was wrong with WotLK, multiplied it with 10 and just added prettier graphics.

I hear people say its a copy of wow in many ways but honestly i don't care that much since its easier to get into and i really hate it when i don't understand a sh*t... Mostly i just want a new world to explore.. also i don't mind running

But i am looking forward to guild wars 2

......Like WoW didn't copy MMO's before it >_>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostx View Post
    Eh trust me, you will get sick of Rift and head back to WOW. They all do.
    My whole guild left wow to play rift. MY WHOLE GUILD!!!! Alll four of us! and we all still enjoy it. To be honest even if i did get bored of Rift i would never come back to Warcraft. Not to say that wow is a bad game over all but to me its just old and boring now.

To the Op just give it a bash. Make up your own mind.

I would say try it, but for me, after the coolness of the way the classes worked and the slick graphics wore off, it felt just like WoW. The group setups, the combat, the questing, etc. So after about three weeks of playing, I went for two and a half without logging in at all and decided it definitely wasn't worth it for me.

Ive played rift and produced a level 50 character. The thing I disliked about rift was the lack of a unique character class. I think they took it a step too far in class versatility, you can produce 5 different variations of an archetype class at any given time.