Thread: New Computer

New Computer

Building a new computer sometime in the nearish future. Just wanted to post the specs and have everyones opinion/suggestions, as this will be my first fully custom pc.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower
    Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
    GPU: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

Plan on eventually getting an ssd, but for now this fits fairly well into my budget. Just curious if I've overlooked any sort of mismatches or anything. Also open to relatively equal priced alternatives for most parts. Decided to use the i5, as well as drop the watercooling for now.
    Last edited by Confessor Kahlan; 2011-05-23 at 11:50 PM.

Deleted
    Swap over the 2600k to a 2500k. The difference is much to weak to make it worth the added cost for standard use.

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Kahlan View Post
    Building a new computer sometime in the nearish future. Just wanted to post the specs and have everyones opinion/suggestions, as this will be my first fully custom pc.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower
    Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
    Aftermarket CPU cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler
    GPU: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

Plan on eventually getting an ssd, but for now this fits fairly well into my budget. Just curious if I've overlooked any sort of mismatches or anything. Also open to relatively equal priced alternatives for most parts.
    He did not specify what he wanted to do with the computer. If it's for exclusively gaming, then Kahlan is right and you should "downgrade" to a 2500k. If you want to make full use of the mutli-threading the 2600k offers (such as video editing, running multiple applications at the same time, list goes on), then the 2600k might be worth it.

If it's for gaming, I swear it's pretty much a waste of money. They both offer pretty much the same exact performance in that department.

Will definitely think about that, I dont currently edit any videos, but after I have a system more capable, I may end up using it for that exactly. But I may stick with the 2500k for the time being.

15+ Year Old Account
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Kickass build bro everything should go together smoothly.
    Do what Dark said, but only if you're not regularly using programs that extensively use hyperthreading....if you do a lot of video editing/processing and work with CPU-intensive applications (like converters) then go with the i7 2600k for sure.
    If it's just for gaming purposes...i5 2500k all the way.

Are you sure you wanna go with watercooling for the CPU? Air does fine for fairly nice overclocks, but if you like seeing temps below 50-60c at all times then I suppose it's worth it...

Change your original post as you evaluate your build so you don't get multiple posts telling you to change the same thing :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-05-23 at 06:48 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    IMO should wait like 2 weeks for the release of bulldozer and see how it performance against SB. The i5/i7 K series will most likely drop in price to combat AMD's fresh launch.
    Twitch.tv/datmodz

Live Hardmode raids from multiple perspectives, Rated Battlegrounds(Hero of the Alliance) and Arenas from a multi-time Gladiator!

Quote Originally Posted by Kasadya View Post
    The i5/i7 K series will most likely drop in price to combat AMD's fresh launch.
    Unless the new AMD is so bad that there's no competition. Bulldozers have many cores, and many cores are a fail for gamers.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.