Thread: Low DPS

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Low DPS

http://i53.tinypic.com/x2592a.jpg
    I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong, I've been a raiding shadow priest since kara so I like to think I know a thing or two about the shadow spec.

The highest DPS output that I've done was 17k on the first boss in ZG, I managed 17k without a lust with a bit worse gear.

P.S I posted this on the official forums as well to get the most exposure.

Deleted
    Should look like this (some guy ranked on atraemedes fight, single target easy to identify rotations and such from top dpsers)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6...?s=5229&e=5500

Deleted
    Why are you mind spiking on dummies?

I'm not entirely sure. I thought that Archangel = mind spike spam and it was meant to be used on every cooldown...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Why are you mind spiking on dummies?
    Pretty much this. Why is that your top damage ability?

Deleted
    Use Mind spike only on targets with low health (e.g. adds with <100k hps that will die in less than 8-10 seconds).
    Use VE and SW:P instead plus DP on your Main target.
    Mind Spike kills your dots on the target! (as clearly stated in the tool box)

i have alot worst gear than you on mine and can pull 17-18k any fight. you need to learn your rotation mind spike mb spam is for heroic trash pulls. rotation should go a little like this (varying depending on who you ask but essentially the following) SW:P MF till you have an orb and 5 stacks of evangelism when you get orb MB , put dots up in this order VT (vampiric touch) SW:P DP (devouring plague) you put them up after you have 5 stacks of evangelism and empowered shadow so that they do their max dmg MF filler use arch angel and aMB with your next orb to keep empowered shadow up and MF to keep stacks of evangelism up and keep refreshing dot with those 2 buffs up need to watch your periodic dmg enhancers closey.

P.S. apologize for the run on sentence and horrible english just got of night shift and dont feel like being literate.

P.S.S. also throw your SW: D (shadow word death in after MB and whenever not on CD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by feardottcom View Post
    i have alot worst gear than you on mine and can pull 17-18k any fight. you need to learn your rotation mind spike mb spam is for heroic trash pulls. rotation should go a little like this (varying depending on who you ask but essentially the following) SW:P MF till you have an orb and 5 stacks of evangelism when you get orb MB , put dots up in this order VT (vampiric touch) SW:P DP (devouring plague) you put them up after you have 5 stacks of evangelism and empowered shadow so that they do their max dmg MF filler use arch angel and aMB with your next orb to keep empowered shadow up and MF to keep stacks of evangelism up and keep refreshing dot with those 2 buffs up need to watch your periodic dmg enhancers closey.

P.S. apologize for the run on sentence and horrible english just got of night shift and dont feel like being literate.

P.S.S. also throw your SW: D (shadow word death in after MB and whenever not on CD.
    That's not 100% accurate, this is a better rotation.

Originally posted by Priestlyone

Opening rotation:
    Prepot > VT as the tank is running in > SWP > DP > Mind Flay until orb > MB > (Procs should be up now) Refresh VT + DP > Shadowfiend > Archangel > continue with normal priority system.

Normal priorities:
    1) Shadowfiend on CD, or if you have procs that are about to come off ICD save it. Only save it if it's gonna be a wait of a few seconds or less.
    2) Archangel if dot's have enough time left to get 5x Evangelism before needing to recast. Otherwise, recast dots.
    3) Maintain VT uptime (re-cast any time after about 4 seconds left on it, the duration of the next one becomes extended if you do it in that timeframe).
    4) Maintain DP uptime - can be re cast whenever as Imp DP beats Mind flay in DPS. However, it's impossible to spam because of mana issues.
    5) If boss is below 25%: Double-tap Shadow Word: Death
    6) Mind blast on cooldown.
    7) If you are low on mana, Shadow Word: Death.
    8) Mind flay.

While moving, use Devouring Plague and Shadow Word: Death if you need mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynnch View Post
    I'm not entirely sure. I thought that Archangel = mind spike spam and it was meant to be used on every cooldown...
    You gain stacks of evangelism, which you need to "expend" arcangel, from mind flay.

Deleted
    ive been experiencing the same problem, i did some testing on a training dummy this morning and got about 10-11k on a non raider dummy (since im not hitcapped, but will be tonight i will blame it on that i dinged 3 days ago ;P)

here is my armoury eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/talnivarr/elwe/advanced <--- not allowed to post links as of yet. just cut and paste.

would be nice if some of you "veteran" Priests could post som helpfull addons to kepp track of the dots etc.

I really like the Priest class and i am thinking of making it my main char.

But i need 2 work out the kinks in my rotation.

Oh i will be hunting for a better trinket tonight.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    How I start fight:

1) Pop trinket and potion

2) Vampiric Touch -> S Word: Pain+ D.Plague.

3) Shadow fiend

4) Then Mind flay to get evangelism stack to five and 1 shadow orb

5) Then I cast Mind Blast

6) Refresh Vampiric Touch and D.Plague

7) Pop Archangel and Mind flay till 1 orb and Mind blast off of cooldown

Then i just refresh dots when they are about 2 secs left and mind flaying and mind blasting and popping cooldowns when they are avaible

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramexer View Post
    How I start fight:

1) Pop trinket and potion

2) Vampiric Touch -> S Word: Pain+ D.Plague.

3) Shadow fiend

4) Then Mind flay to get evangelism stack to five and 1 shadow orb

5) Then I cast Mind Blast

6) Refresh Vampiric Touch and D.Plague

7) Pop Archangel and Mind flay till 1 orb and Mind blast off of cooldown

Then i just refresh dots when they are about 2 secs left and mind flaying and mind blasting and popping cooldowns when they are avaible
    Could you post your armoury and the average DPS you have

Opening rotation:
    Prepot > VT as the tank is running in > SWP > DP > Mind Flay until orb > MB > (Procs should be up now) Refresh VT + DP > Shadowfiend > Archangel > continue with normal priority system.

Normal priorities:
    1) Shadowfiend on CD, or if you have procs that are about to come off ICD save it. Only save it if it's gonna be a wait of a few seconds or less.
    2) Archangel if dot's have enough time left to get 5x Evangelism before needing to recast. Otherwise, recast dots.
    3) Maintain VT uptime (re-cast any time after about 4 seconds left on it, the duration of the next one becomes extended if you do it in that timeframe).
    4) Maintain DP uptime - can be re cast whenever as Imp DP beats Mind flay in DPS. However, it's impossible to spam because of mana issues.
    8) Mind flay.

pretty much this except i havent done any serious raiding this patch as cba with pve so no potting for moi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poliwhirl View Post
    ive been experiencing the same problem, i did some testing on a training dummy this morning and got about 10-11k on a non raider dummy (since im not hitcapped, but will be tonight i will blame it on that i dinged 3 days ago ;P)

here is my armoury eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/talnivarr/elwe/advanced <--- not allowed to post links as of yet. just cut and paste.

would be nice if some of you "veteran" Priests could post som helpfull addons to kepp track of the dots etc.

I really like the Priest class and i am thinking of making it my main char.

But i need 2 work out the kinks in my rotation.

Oh i will be hunting for a better trinket tonight.

There is absolutely no excuse to NOT be hit capped the second you ding 85. Its so easy to be hit capped in all green gear that its not even funny. By the time you're 84 the gear you have should be overflowing with hit or spirit (which turns into hit) which will help your dps significantly from the second you ding 85. My hunter has an average item level that is only good enough to do heroics because of a piece of pvp gear I bought her that she doesn't wear, uses a 333 bow and still has several 319's. . .she does 11K to 17K dps depending on the pull. I've seen my dps spike to 32K on one aoe pull XD. I know that doesn't count but still was fun.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poliwhirl View Post
    Could you post your armoury and the average DPS you have
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...endai/advanced

My dps to dummy is something about 13,5k dps (6min fight) in raids it's something ~15k and in Heroics with 15% buff 17-20k dps

I know that I can snitch some DPS more, but i'm lazy to track procs and so on

basically what priestlyone said btw. and for mobs if its 4 or more monsters and i dont have an orb ill cast sw pain on a few then mb once i hit an orb. then spam mindsear on the tank for massive dps. mindsear is boss atm and it wrecks mobs.

hahahaha
    i loled on the mind spike XD

I am a menace to my own destiny.

Deleted
    A 10 minute or so WoL on a dummy - the numbers are just above Simcraft when you include Apparitions.
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/cys5z...one/?s=3&e=529

My armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lyone/advanced

And yes, my post in another thread has already been quoted :P but I'll put it again anyway.
    Opening rotation:

Normal priorities:
    8) Mind flay.

For AoE, it depends on many things:

Are you able to dot one up before it gets to "AoE phase?" - As an example, Maloriak greenphase. You can DoT maloriak and some of the green adds up before they're grouped, then Mind sear.
    Does one target have a higher priority? As an example, Halfus. You may want to DoT up Halfus so that the DoTs are ticking when he goes into his increased damage phase (The above applies too, since on Halfus you'll be able to do a short bit of your normal rotation before the whelps are gathered.)
    Other than that, it pretty much just comes down to number of targets. 4 or less, and you should multidot. 5 or more, and you should Mindsear.

Quote Originally Posted by zshikara View Post
    There is absolutely no excuse to NOT be hit capped the second you ding 85. Its so easy to be hit capped in all green gear that its not even funny. By the time you're 84 the gear you have should be overflowing with hit or spirit (which turns into hit) which will help your dps significantly from the second you ding 85. My hunter has an average item level that is only good enough to do heroics because of a piece of pvp gear I bought her that she doesn't wear, uses a 333 bow and still has several 319's. . .she does 11K to 17K dps depending on the pull. I've seen my dps spike to 32K on one aoe pull XD. I know that doesn't count but still was fun.
    as far as i know (for shadow any way) we dont want a full hit cap for max dps.

this may have changed in the past 3-4 months but i dont know been healing for my guild to help them out.

but at the time i found that a sweet spot for me was about 14.5-15.5% hit for max dps gain.

again, this may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by kaanu View Post
    again, this may have changed.
    It hasn't changed. If being hit capped is better for someone or not it is ENTIRELY dependent on the person in question and a ton of variables for them personally which no one except that person can really look at and figure out. Anyone who says otherwise is either misinformed or has decided that their personal experiences add up to special snowflakes and people should be like them.

Someone asked about addons to track dot/buff durations and I didn't see a reply to that. Shadowtimers, Event Horizon, and Fortexorcist are good and work in very different ways (basically the way they show information to you is different in each).