Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    that is one of the MAJOR issues. characters are supposed to be described not, insert self here. you are supposed to connect with them not be them.
    I fail to see how it's such a major issue. Most people can detach themselves from a book.

---------- Post added 2011-05-23 at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    vampires dont fall in love, they feed on the living and sew chaos and death. they do have the ability to charm anyone but not for "feelings". which they dont have.
    And..I'm sorry...says who exactly? How can something of fiction be set in stone? Surely the idea is that it's open to anyones imagination?

Deleted
    Well, I didn't read the book nor watched the movie, but I must say that if most of the fans are ignorant 14 year old girls, it can't be anything worth reading for me. Maybe I'll read it, when I have nothing better to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathian View Post
    It's cute how the retard with the my little pony avatar and the furry with the fox avatar talk about how twilight is good.

Read some real literature some time.
    Goodbye.

Not read the series, figure there probably alright its just hip to hate them.

Funny reading this thread how its brought out the haters though, they don't seem to actually read your question. I imagine a lot of them haven't read the books either

And I agree with your "says who" comment above, vampires aren't actually *real* theres no "cannon lore" to be had on them. Its just another name for the "bogie-man" or that nameless fear of noises in the night.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Not read the series, figure there probably alright its just hip to hate them.

Funny reading this thread how its brought out the haters though, they don't seem to actually read your question. I imagine a lot of them haven't read the books either

And I agree with your "says who" comment above, vampires aren't actually *real* theres no "cannon lore" to be had on them. Its just another name for the "bogie-man" or that nameless fear of noises in the night.
    Trying to get an intelligent conversation going about a book that brings out such a large variety of hate is quite difficult. Some people contribute to it well with genuine answers. I've tried to answer these people with my opinion. Trolls on the other hand... >.>

---------- Post added 2011-05-23 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    My comment was not aimed at anyone in particular.

Since you've read the books, can you confirm that there's absolutely no description of Bellas looks in the book?

I've read the Emperor-series by Iggulden, they were pretty well written.
    OT: Try the Conqueror series - I enjoyed them more than the Emperor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to read the original post.
    My opinion is no less relevant because you have somehow deduced that I havent read the op (which I have >.>)

Deleted
    And yet your only opinion was "COS VAMPIRES SHOULDN'T SPARKLE" I pretty much said in the first line that it's irrelevant to this thread, unless you have such a deep hatred of sparkling beings.

"I don't want this thread to be filled with "LOL SPARKLING VAMPIRES AND" and stuff like that - It has nothing to do with what I'm asking."

And for "clarity" - In the books, the description of "Sparkling Vampires" is used..twice to my recollection. Once in the first book when Edward shows her why he can't go out in the sun. The last in..the fourth book, when Bella shows her child what they are like in the sun. Is that enough reason to hate on an entire series. Barely a paragraph between them?
    Last edited by mmoc9fada5a631; 2011-05-23 at 04:44 PM.

Deleted
    And yet your only opinion was "COS VAMPIRES SHOULDN'T SPARKLE" I pretty much said in the first line that it's irrelevant to this thread, unless you have such a deep hatred of sparkling beings.
    Actually it was less "VAMPIRES SHOULDNT SPARKLE" and more, vampires are dark, they are anti heros at best, they are not friendly, they are not nice. If they help someone its only to further their own goals.
    Much in the same way an elf is always a tree hugger, master of the arcane, or shadowy manipulatior (depending on sub type), these things are typecast for a reason.
    Imagine superman suddenly being rebranded as a crack addicted street pimp, would you really not consider that an affront to all superhero stories anywhere?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll sum up my dislike for it this way:

It's targeted at teenage girls. That's fine. To each their own, and they love it. Good for them. At least it gets them reading.

But I'm a (almost) middle aged man. It has no appeal to me.

First and most importantly, It calls itself a Vampire book, but throws all the rules out save one...They are immortal. Much can be said what's supposed to be werewolves but twisted and manipulated enough to be different and not werewolves, but you know damn well they are meant to be. As for the sparkle comment, you can't disregard this as reason not to like it, not only is it a very bad plot device, you make yourself look a crazed fan not willing to have a discussion on the topic.

Secondly, Its plain bad literature. Its simple, generic, been done before preteen garbage that is clearly meant for its demographic. (Think insert trashy romance novel here) Breakdown, confused good girl meets dark mysterious bad boy, fall in love, endure the trials of relationship, happy ending. So when Twi-fans go around saying this is the best material every written, not only makes themselves look foolish, but just plain ignorant in the process.

Conclusion: Vampire book/movie that's is only such in name only + immortality. Over hyped in your face bad literature/film, that gets most/normal people irritated/hateful. Now if you enjoy said book, fine...great but please get off this fence and thinking this book is anything above mediocre (highest regard imho).
    Aku, Soku, Zan

The biggest reason I hate it is that it took the concept of vampires and werewolves, two of the HORROR genres most distinguished creatures, and crapped all over it by turning them into a 14-18 year old girls wet dream.

And..I'm sorry...says who exactly? How can something of fiction be set in stone? Surely the idea is that it's open to anyones imagination?
    There are some things that actually are set in stone. The biggest one is SUNLIGHT KILLS VAMPIRES.
    You can't just take something like a vampire, completely take away it's biggest weakness, and still say it's a vampire. It's like saying "You see that guy that's not decayed, athletic, and highly intelligent? He's a zombie.".

Quote Originally Posted by Xathian View Post
    the furry with the fox avatar talk about how twilight is good.
    So scrolling up I don't see anyone above your post who has a fox avatar. Which leads me to conclude your brain is damaged somewhere because apparently you not only think I have a fox avatar but somehow you think I was saying Twilight was good. Total fail.

Why I don't like the Twilight series...and yes, I did read the first book.

A. Despite the vampires, etc., it's a romance novel. I'm not a fan of romance novels.

B. Even for a romance novel, it is poorly written. Ms. Meyers needs to go back to Creative Writing 101 and actually study this time.

C. It's a romance novel for teens. I haven't been a teen in decades.

My opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    First and most importantly, It calls itself a Vampire book, but throws all the rules out save one...They are immortal. Much can be said what's supposed to be werewolves but twisted and manipulated enough to be different and not werewolves, but you know damn well they are meant to be. As for the sparkle comment, you can't disregard this as reason not to like it, not only is it a very bad plot device, you make yourself look a crazed fan not willing to have a discussion on the topic.

Secondly, Its plain bad literature. Its simple, generic, been done before preteen garbage that is clearly meant for its demographic. (Think insert trashy romance novel here) Breakdown, confused good girl meets dark mysterious bad boy, fall in love, endure the trials of relationship, happy ending. So when Twi-fans go around saying this is the best material every written, not only makes themselves look foolish, but just plain ignorant in the process.

Conclusion: Vampire book/movie that's is only such in name only + immortality. Over hyped in your face bad literature/film, that gets most/normal people irritated/hateful. Now if you enjoy said book, fine...great but please get off this fence and thinking this book is anything above mediocre (highest regard imho).
    "Most/Normal people irritated, so because I'm not in the 'most' demographic, I am somehow, not normal? I never said it was a masterfully piece of literature. I even said in the first paragraph, that I didn't think it was a "classic" - Unless you want me to spell it out for you. My fence, is a neutral point of view asking why it's so hated. The fact that you call "Sparkle" a bad plot device is..moot. It gives nothing, but gives a ... "friendly" reason of why they can't go in the sun. Remember its target audience. You raise good points, but being a jackass in the process of doing it is about as constructive as typing "im right, ur wrong hurr"

I never said it was "omg, i so love this book, i love bella and edward" - My point of view, for the quality of what it is, it receives way too much hate, as their are worst books/film combos out there.

And Renard. It's fiction, how can it be fact. It's not set in stone. It's open to interpretation

It's clumsy as shit. I haven't read everyone one of them, hell I didn't even finish the first one. But what turned me off was the thing at it was hard to read (I don't mean I didn't understand it, it was just clumsy), had a good amount of clichés as well. But it's silly that people bash the book that much as well, it's just a book guys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspode View Post
    Why I don't like the Twilight series...and yes, I did read the first book.

A. Despite the vampires, etc., it's a romance novel. I'm not a fan of romance novels.

B. Even for a romance novel, it is poorly written. Ms. Meyers needs to go back to Creative Writing 101 and actually study this time.

C. It's a romance novel for teens. I haven't been a teen in decades.

My opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    This is the kind of opinion that I value. I agree. She way over describes stuff. It's too centered on "he is my life, I cant live without him" - It's a child version of Wuthering Heights.

But, my point is...Why is it so vehemently hated and invoke such hatred?

"Most/Normal people irritated, so because I'm not in the 'most' demographic, I am somehow, not normal? I never said it was a masterfully piece of literature. I even said in the first paragraph, that I didn't think it was a "classic" - Unless you want me to spell it out for you. My fence, is a neutral point of view asking why it's so hated. The fact that you call "Sparkle" a bad plot device is..moot. It gives nothing, but gives a ... "friendly" reason of why they can't go in the sun. Remember its target audience. You raise good points, but being a jackass in the process of doing it is about as constructive as typing "im right, ur wrong hurr"

I never said it was "omg, i so love this book, i love bella and edward" - My point of view, for the quality of what it is, it receives way too much hate, as their are worst books/film combos out there.

And Renard. It's fiction, how can it be fact. It's not set in stone. It's open to interpretation
    Now if you want an open discussion about random topic, you must be open to all points of view or facts. You don't get to pick and choose what is acceptable in the process if it doesn't go with your PoV. Don't take my post offensively it really wasn't aimed at you, more of the book and its fans in general, the sparkle comment was half aimed but more so pointing out why you shouldn't dismiss that argument. If your really neutral (this is for you) then why are you quickly being defensive at anyone who speaks against the book? You seem to be a big fan of the book...I mean you did start a topic about it, if you were neutral, you wouldn't have bothered...at the very least not get defensive over a silly book.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

I dislike the series (the books, haven't watched the movies and not planning to) for a number of reasons.
    First of all, Bella is very childish (in a bad way) and so self centered, as if the world was turning around her. 90% of the book is describing how she feels about one thing or another. And she's so primitive! yuck.

Secondly, the vampire sparkle thing. I and many others are/were enjoying "White Wolf"-made RPG series (World of Darkness). The description of vampires there is very thorough and complex. If you want to look into it, there's a "Vampire: The Masquerade" PC game, based on it. Shows what vampires should really be like

Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post

Completely agree with this post, it basically sums up what is wrong with the whole series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    If you want to look into it, there's a "Vampire: The Masquerade" PC game, based on it. Shows what vampires should really be like
    There is also a Vampire: The Masquerade RPG which has brilliant descriptions of vampires in that particular word. Also, if you can manage to find it there was a short lived TV show by the same name back in the late 90's.