Thread: Off And Of?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I find the basics of the English language very easy to learn in comparison to any other language. Yeah.. I probably make a lot of small grammar mistakes, but in general English is so easy to learn imo.

1) Google
    2) search: "what does <insert your word> mean"
    3) Profit(u dont have to click any links, just look the first thing above them, bolded)

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    1) Google
    2) search: "what does <insert your word> mean"
    3) Profit(u dont have to click any links, just look the first thing above them, bolded)

quicker way is to use googles define command.

define:your word
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I find it funny that people are saying English is easy to learn. I'm betting those people learned English as a child.

English is by no means the hardest, but it is difficult for many people because it has so many things that don't make any damn sense. Plural of succubus is succubi, but plural of bus is buses. WTF is that? Though I do believe English is easier to learn from people who already know another Germanic language.
    Hardly the best example, since "Succubus" is borrowed from Latin, where words, that end with "us" in nominative singular, end with "i" in nominative plural.

I don't understand the confusion.

The English alphabet is a set of 26 letters. Of those 26 letters, many hundreds of thousands, if not millions of words are formed. Certain words are bound to share similarities, given the limited set of phonemes we use.

"Off" and "of" are as alike as "toast" and "oceanic". Just because they share spelling similarities doesn't mean they have anything in common. They are distinct words, and to not understand that is a failure to have even the most basic grasp on English.

ESL people, I'm sorry our language is so fucked up. I really am. I know many ESL teachers (including some in my family) who tell stories of people simply being unable to understand the batshit stupid way our language is put together. We actually speak a language where this is a real thing:

But the fundamental difference between "of" and "off", as well as "two", "too", and "to" and "there" and "they're", it really is basic stuff that you should just KNOW.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdris View Post
    But the fundamental difference between "of" and "off", as well as "two", "too", and "to" and "there" and "they're", it really is basic stuff that you should just KNOW.
    You forgot 'their'. :P

btw, love the comic

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    You forgot 'their'. :P

btw, love the comic
    Also "you're" and "your".