Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

Update - Added a list of the keys staying in-game.

Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    World of Warcraft has evolved quite a bit since the day the Keyring bag slot was added in patch 1.11. When implemented, this Keyring provided players with a convenient way of storing dungeon, quest, and other keys automatically. Back when the largest bag was a mind bottling 18 slots - rumoured to be bottomless - the Keyring helped save precious bag space. But as things tend to do, time went on, bags got bigger, and designs for gating content (literally and figuratively) evolved through the years.

In today’s Azeroth, keys don’t really serve much of a purpose except to take up physical storage space from the game (which could be used for other awesome stuff), and visual interface space on yours. Because of this, we’ve decided to get rid of the Keyring in order to free up some user interface space for exciting new features. This change could also potentially allow us to play around with the amount of default storage space you’re allotted down the road. So, what does this mean for you and the keys you might not have looked at in the last couple expansions or so?

We’re currently working on the implementation of a system in patch 4.2 which will handle the removal of the Keyring, while causing you as little hassle with keys as possible. Some keys which no longer serve a purpose in the game will automatically be removed from your inventory. In return, you’ll be compensated for them with their respective vendor sell prices in gold. You might also have random leftover quest keys from outdated quests, or quests which were removed in Cataclysm. Keys that fall into this category have no use and no sell price, as they are labelled as quest items, and will be automatically removed from your inventory. Any remaining keys that might still potentially serve some use in the game will be transferred into your regular inventory. If there is not enough space in your inventory to hold any leftover keys once patch 4.2 hits live realms, the keys will be placed in a backlogged storage system. Once space is made for a backlogged key, the key will take that space after you log out or switch to a new zone (i.e. changing continents, entering a dungeon or Battleground, etc.).

We are continuing to work on new ways of allowing you to better manage the storage of various items in the game, and it is our goal to make sure the removal of the Keyring causes as little inconvenience to you as possible.
    Update
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    So, just as a reference here are the keys we're currently seeing as ones that will not be converted to gold or removed upon release of the patch -- if you have them they'd be put back into your normal inventory. This isn't necessarily a final list, and it's possible we could cut the list down even further before 4.2 releases.

Last edited by Boubouille; 2011-05-23 at 11:14 PM.

Deleted
    Noz! Will miss this trusty feature =(

Deleted
    Who cares about the keyring?

If they do this.. then.. then i will quit wow forever! OMG!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, hopefully they'll give us an extra bag slot. seems what they're alluding to with the interface storage thing.

Deleted
    Rofl, inb4 MASSIVE (and I mean MASSIVE) whining from the smallest population in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im gonna miss it so much
    It was fun when you actually had to get keys in order to get into some places :P

Good bye my fantastic keyring :'(

So all the keys for TBC heroics will be chucked into my already crowded bags? Gee, thanks.

as long as they get it right it won't be a problem. logging onto ptr to find i have 20 keys now taking up bag space is not good but i have to figure they'll get it all fixed before it hits live.

15+ Year Old Account
    We hate you Blizzard!

I want mah keyz in mah keyringz. Got 24 keys and around 10 empty spots in my bags.

Also I knew the keyring was removed because of Dungeon Journal taking menu space

So keys will clog up bag space again, basically?

10+ Year Old Account
    So all my blacksmith keys will now cluster inside my regular bags?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutzer View Post
    Noz! Will miss this trusty feature =(

I heard they're removing shadowpriests from the game in 4.2....

So now we will be able to get into some heroics with out the keys?
    BRING ON THE RAGE!

Lol good. They keyring sucked anyway. Now let's get rid of keys for all those damn Outland dungeons.

I'm curious how long it will be before 100 rate threads pop up with titles like "ZOMG NO MOAR KEY RING?!? BLIZZARD IS TEH SUXX"

EDIT

Also allow for 100 posts of "I WILL QUIT NOW BLIZZARD DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ME!"

15+ Year Old Account
    NOOO keyring was one of the best features

BLIZZARD
    Y U REMOVE GOOD FEATURE
    AND NOT ARENA?

Any idea which keys will be left? I'd really hate if I flew all the way to Kara and realized I stuffed my Master's Key in the bank. Same thing with the Algalon key.

I'm glad BLizzard are working hard to improve the game.