Laptop heating, T-junctions, and how to get over it?

Wall of text incoming so brace yourselves. If anyone does get through it, I will greatly appreciate you taking your time to read this.

So a little bit of background: I bought this laptop in July 2010 since I was going to leave for school. It was on sale and also on the day of no taxes so it was a steal. It seemed decent enough for a buy so I eagerly bought it. For what I was to use it for, it seemed perfect. No problems with it on doing "normal" stuff. However, "normal" stuff just isn't cutting it for me nowadays. "Normal" stuff being just using it for homework, casual internet browsing, and things of that nature. Soon enough I tried playing WoW on it since I didn't have my desktop with me at that time. Tried it out and CoreTemp tells me I'm running at 85C. I figured "Hmm my limit is 105C so I'm good." After playing for like an hour I'm sitting at around 98C then I decide it's time to stop. Didn't really play WoW on it after that since I brought my desktop over. (INB4 use speedfan whatever the other one is, those register me running idle at 65C which is complete BS) For the specs my computer has, I think it's safe to assume its definitely good enough to run WoW on lowest settings without any problems.

However, since my desktop has a worse processor, Intel Core 2 Duo (or something like that don't remember right now), I figured that I should do my video rendering and whatnot on my laptop. I started recently taking music videos, movies, and other media in other languages and adding subs to it. Since it's all 1080 quality stuff, it takes quite a bit of power to render it. All goes well until I start climbing the load percentage and sit at almost 70. Virtualdub, what I use to add the subs onto the AVI file, makes my computer heat up to WoW temps or even higher. I also have to convert any raw files without subs into AVI's so I can use them in virtualdub. Yesterday while converting a 3:45 long file my comp went to 103C and I freaked out.

Here are my specs since it would be useful to have them I assume:
    Intel core i5-450M @2.40 and autoclocks to 2.66 I believe if on more than a certain amount of load.
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    4GB DDR3 System Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce 310M Graphic Processor, 512MB Shared Memory

Here is a link to the computer closest to mine. I think they discontinued my model but it is only like 1 version lower than this and is in essence the same: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/l...U01US-features

So is there any hope for my laptop? I don't want it to kinda go to waste. I mean, I know I bought it for school but I rather would not have it just sit there and gather dust. My brother is a whiz at computers, but he has no experience dealing with laptops. I myself know a thing or two on getting those pesky cores to not heat up (Getting the Pentium4 Prescott AKA LOLOL Press-hot to run super overclocked while not reaching 60C) but I've never had to deal with laptops. I don't think dust is a problem, but I'll get that problem fixed soon enough. Another thing I've realized is that sometimes the manufacturers will gimp you in terms of thermal paste. I've seen a few laptops that come with absolutely abysmal amounts of paste straight from the box. I'll be sure to add more if necessary. I don't know how good external cooling (aka cooling pads) will fare, but I'm assuming not much. The only place the computer gets hot is the place where the GPU and CPU are set on.

INB4 use your desktop, I need to replace the motherboard since one of the RAM slots is shorted and I can't access more than one stick at a time. Thinking about building a new rig altogether, but as I don't have the money at the moment, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Last edited by Ace192; 2011-05-23 at 05:58 PM. Reason: I wrote 440M proc when it was a 450M proc

It sounds like an issue with either as you said the amount of thermal paste the manufacturer put on the cpu or the heatsink and fan used to cool the cpu. Replacing the paste on the cpu and seeing how it goes is the best idea. Look into heatsinks for laptops aswell, replacing that will help.

Basically try as much as you can yourself without having to pay some laptop "fixer" a small fortune to do what you can do for a fraction of the price.

GL
    [21:24:13] [G] [80:Exeption]: i'm a warlock kinda harry potter myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    hes not that technologically advanced, all he needs is google and a right hand

Cooling pads work great...

Also, don't worry about the heat, I haven't seen a modern laptop without some thermal protection (i.e. will shut down if it's too hot).

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Cooling pads work great...

Also, don't worry about the heat, I haven't seen a modern laptop without some thermal protection (i.e. will shut down if it's too hot).
    I know it won't let itself get hurt, but it's still a problem. Running at extended periods of time near my T-max is definitely not good for my CPU's life. It will most certainly reduce it's lifespan if I continue to use it at 100C