Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    the new Gigabyte boards are pretty nice - all black. :-)

The reason the AsRock board is cheaper is the components on it. Take a good look at the board. A molex connector to power the 1394a/USB 3 where as other board draw power directly for that through the 24 ping and ESL 8 pin connections. The capacitors are on the cheap side which means that a power surge could fry the board more easily than the Asus board because the Asus board is using higher quality capcitors. There tend to be reasons why some boards are cheaper than others, usually that means the manufacture used cheaper components or took short cuts. Paying the extra $20 for quality means your board is far more likely to survive longer than saving the $20 now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahapenes View Post
    The reason the AsRock board is cheaper is the components on it. Take a good look at the board. A molex connector to power the 1394a/USB 3 where as other board draw power directly for that through the 24 ping and ESL 8 pin connections. The capacitors are on the cheap side which means that a power surge could fry the board more easily than the Asus board because the Asus board is using higher quality capcitors. There tend to be reasons why some boards are cheaper than others, usually that means the manufacture used cheaper components or took short cuts. Paying the extra $20 for quality means your board is far more likely to survive longer than saving the $20 now.
    Well done on ignorance, AsRock use 100% Japanese capacitors, just like Asus. Seeing as Asus=Asrock=asus=asrock etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Asus and Asrock split.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It honestly doesn't look as bad as some of the Gigabyte boards we used to get. BRIGHT M'FING NEON anyone?
    I'll leave this here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    I thought Asus and Asrock split.
    Last time I checked Asus are still the parent company, unless something massive changed I can't see how they split.

Just checked, yup AsRock are still owned by Asus. AsusTeK have a majority interest in them, they most likely share RnD etc etc.
    Last edited by mmoc5ec8505a9d; 2011-05-23 at 10:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Well done on ignorance, AsRock use 100% Japanese capacitors, just like Asus. Seeing as Asus=Asrock=asus=asrock etc etc.
    Pretty much this. It's even one of their selling points:

ASRock DuraCap (2.5 x longer life time), 100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors
    (Source)

well, I have ASRock x58 Extreme and I can say only good things about it...

You might see some bad reviews about ASRock but most of them are ignorant and people base them on either previous experience which was caused by just inappropriate use of hardware which cause it to die.
    Last edited by Unionoob; 2011-05-23 at 10:53 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    well, I have ASRock x58 Extreme and I can say only good things about it...

You might see some bad reviews about ASRock but most of them are ignorant and people base them on either previous experience which was caused by just inappropriate use of hardware which cause it to die.
    Indeed, they used to be low-end.

Just because you buy Japanese capcitors doesn't mean they're the top of the line. You totally glossed over the other comment I made, that being they have a molex connector to power the 1394a and USB 3.0 connections. You can believe that the board is quality all you want, but seeing the price differential along with not having proper power from the 24 pin and 8 pin ESL connections to power all your USB 2.x/3.0 and 1394a connections says a bit more about how good the board is.

Deleted
    Just because you buy Japanese capcitors doesn't mean they're the top of the line. You totally glossed over the other comment I made, that being they have a molex connector to power the 1394a and USB 3.0 connections. You can believe that the board is quality all you want, but seeing the price differential along with not having proper power from the 24 pin and 8 pin ESL connections to power all your USB 2.x/3.0 and 1394a connections says a bit more about how good the board is.
    Actually no, the molex connector is used for extra power if needed (In SLI). Lots of boards use molex connectors for supplementary power. GG though.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a total lie. First, it would take an incredibly INCREDIBLY power hungry device to require powered USB ports with a dedicated Molex port. Secondly, this has been included in high end boards for awhile. It helps SLI by adding additional power, as opposed to putting all the stress on your 6/8 pins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    That's a total lie. First, it would take an incredibly INCREDIBLY power hungry device to require powered USB ports with a dedicated Molex port. Secondly, this has been included in high end boards for awhile. It helps SLI by adding additional power, as opposed to putting all the stress on your 6/8 pins.
    Preach!!! *waves arms* Preach!!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more of support for the 24 pin :P Example is that the previous gen X58's sometimes had an issue with running 3+ GPU's causing the 24 pin to melt/scorch up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Preach!!! *waves arms* Preach!!
    *Throws up arms*
    I have a dream,
    that people will research this shit on google,
    before bothering the rest of us with it.

I have a dream,
    that if you don't know what that thing is on your computer,
    that you will open up your web browser,
    and google the thing.

I have a dream,
    that PCB color will be irrelevant,
    because your computer insides aren't for show.

I HAVE A DREAM,
    that neon glowing computers,
    and ugly alienware cases,
    designed by three year olds with disabilities,
    will be burned in Hellfire.

Deleted
    *Throws up arms*
    I have a dream,
    that people will research this shit on google,
    before bothering the rest of us with it.

I have a dream,
    that if you don't know what that thing is on your computer,
    that you will open up your web browser,
    and google the thing.

I have a dream,
    that PCB color will be irrelevant,
    because your computer insides aren't for show.

I HAVE A DREAM,
    that neon glowing computers,
    and ugly alienware cases,
    designed by three year olds with disabilities,
    will be burned in Hellfire.
    Can this be made into the fucking rules for the computer forums?!?

You're pretty much wrong. As Silas pointed out, you don't even know the purpose of the 4pin molex connector. The caps used on the ASROCK boards are Nichicon, a brand which happen to be very well known and respected for its quality. You'll will also find Nichicon caps are on the ASUS boards as well.