15+ Year Old Account

Cool ui-design-idea, could use some advice

Hullo there,
    so, after going mentally enrage on my last few raids, i decided to come up with a new interface for myself (and maybe others) that was rather unintrusive, while being versatile, informative and, at the same time, should look fresh. long story short,today after a few rounds of crysis 2, i looked at it's honeycomb-style menuscreen and... it hit me.. honeycombs
    so
    i want to build a wow user interface based on honeycomb-structures to know what it should look like, i quickly went into photoshop and scrobbled together something that came out like this:

[clicky to enlarge n stuff]

layout explanation as followed:
    left side bar is health(green),primary resource(here mana,blue),secondary resource(adjacent in its color,here gold for HP)
    lower left side is a roll-out menu for the chat-window
    center, from the middle down is target-hp+energy, 5 honeycombs full of skills, with major cooldowns/cd-timers to be embedded at their respective center
    top is group-interface, with hp/ressource-bars, menu/bag/stuff buttons adjacent on the right. in raid situations,the group-interface should be replaced with raidframes (reskinned grid maybe? :O )
    upper right corner is buffs
    i havent decided on a placement for debuffs yet. either next to the player-healthbar ("blossoming up" into some comb-structure to the right, eyecatching and awareness-increasing ) or diagonally down from the top right corner are my 2 top preferences

now the magical question

how do i build this darn thing?
    just kiddin (well..not completely)... i happen to stumble accross a few rather big stones, to name them: unit frames.
    does anybody here know a Unit-Framework in which you can easily implement custom bars/animations? or will i have to code it all from scratch? :/
    i'm thinking about using a lightly modified bartender for the circular skill-combs, and the buffbars shouldnt really be a problem :P
    so.. any wizard here with a little advice on what i could maybe try out for those frames,where to start from, or what addon to conquer in the name of glory?

thanks in advance <3
    and yeah, i couuuld have just posted this in the ask-it-thread,but i figured that it maybe could turn into a more complex discussion/sorry-could-you-explain-that-again? than just "how do i change the color of the bar?" and so i didnt want to spam the quick-question-quick-answer-thread
    Last edited by Kashydan; 2011-05-24 at 03:06 PM. Reason: titlechange n pic-update :P

Deleted
    Build an addon i think, though when finished i want the link to dl it

Deleted
    oUF would be your best bet, though I haven't actually worked with it yet.
    A custom ButtonFacade skin should work for Buffs and Bars. If you can't get it to work perfectly, do it yourself instead.

Very interesting idea. Would love to see some in-progress work once you've got it figured out. oUF is extremely flexible and I'm going to add my vote into that pool.

Bit out of date, so no idea if it works or not but there is a buttonfacade skin which has amongst its options a hexagonal version.
    Buttonfacade Trinity @ Curse.
    Buttonfacade is a framework, which given an appropriate skin can restyle compatible buff/debuff displays, and action bars and other addons.
    I have yet to see buttonfacade used in a unitframe however, but that is worth looking into for at least some of it.

This sounds amazing, would love to see this finished

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Bit out of date, so no idea if it works or not but there is a buttonfacade skin which has amongst its options a hexagonal version.
    Buttonfacade Trinity @ Curse.
    Buttonfacade is a framework, which given an appropriate skin can restyle compatible buff/debuff displays, and action bars and other addons.
    I have yet to see buttonfacade used in a unitframe however, but that is worth looking into for at least some of it.
    Button Facade is called Masque now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

News to me, i'll bear that in mind.

Deleted
    Nice Idea, like it. Hope to see some cool stuff rollin' out of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    thanks on the feedback so far, i'm tryin to get into oUF right now.. documentation truly is a bitch, a.k.a. nonexistant, but thank the lords of the 7 kingdoms for commented sourcecode