Thread: Computer Desk

Computer Desk

Hello, I need to buy a new computer desk. I'm looking for one thats very roomy. I wanted to get the ikea jerker but it got discontinued. Any suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your price range?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Retfarve View Post
    Hello, I need to buy a new computer desk. I'm looking for one thats very roomy. I wanted to get the ikea jerker but it got discontinued. Any suggestions?
    Okay... I know you said Ikea... but still going to ask anyway... whats your budget? and where do you live?
    And how .... roomy? are we talking elbow room? or 4 feet deep by 6 feet wide?
    Also are you looking for a "self contained PC unit" or a desk? (IE do you want to put your keyboard, mouse, monitor, printer, scanner, and tower on it?)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-05-24 at 02:12 PM.

I recently moved into a new apartment and got myself this. It is nothing fancy, although it does have 4 USB ports built into the desk that only require one USB port on your computer. I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I like it a lot.

Edit: I should note that I didn't install the shelf on the right side, my computer just barely fits in there without it.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-05-24 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...Table/14119034

I use this (got it on sale for 20$), plenty of room. thinking about getting another one and putting them together in a corner.

Whats ur budget and size constraints. Do u like corner desks or is it just going against a wall?
    A desk is really about personal opinion
    Last edited by Airin; 2011-05-24 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I recently moved into a new apartment and got myself this. It is nothing fancy, although it does have 4 USB ports built into the desk that only require one USB port on your computer. I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I like it a lot.
    !! I Don't have a ZipCode.....

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    !! I Don't have a ZipCode.....
    Just put in something random like 34746 or something.

I think that's somewhere in Florida.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Modular-De...resso/14043004

$30 desk, which I have in my room for my spare computer. Its great as you can move it around your room when cleaning the floor and can always rearrange your room with ease.

That said, the pull out tray can snap off if you decide to rage hehe, so its not rage proof ^^ Ikea Jerker though is pretty good choice.

$50 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...ndingMethod=rr looks quite nice, probably space for 2 monitors if you wish so and if you look at where the lamp is located it would make a great space for the computer case if you have a nice moded case with LEDs
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-05-24 at 02:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Just put in something random like 34746 or something.

I think that's somewhere in Florida.

Pretty sweet! although i'd probably get rid of that panel and shelf at the bottom on the right... so I could put my tower in there.

Personally I like the antique one something like this: http://www.antiquedesks.net/stock/10...esk/index.html would be similar to the one I have now. (Mine has larger drawers and a much nicer design)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterspark View Post
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Modular-De...resso/14043004

$30 desk, which I have in my room for my spare computer. Its great as you can move it around your room when cleaning the floor and can always rearrange your room with ease.

That said, the pull out tray can snap off if you decide to rage hehe, so its not rage proof ^^ Ikea Jerker though is pretty good choice.

$50 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...ndingMethod=rr looks quite nice, probably space for 2 monitors if you wish so and if you look at where the lamp is located it would make a great space for the computer case if you have a nice moded case with LEDs
    I don't know, but they both look way to small and not practical.
    1.) when i sit at my computer i have to put my feet under the table. I do not need something in the way. (at knee height and the bottom shelf). Also those movable keyboard slides are absolutely horrible.
    2.) This looks about 1.5 ft deep (if not less). Where the hell should i put a decent monitor with a keyboard in front? Also like the first one this has a knee-killer build in.

What - in my opinion - a computer desk should have:
    - one even plate (no keyboard slider or anything like that), thickness more than 1 inch if there are no additional stabilizers (like metal bars)
    - dimensions at least 4 x 2 ft (or 120 x 60 cm), a bit more depth is better (-> 2.5 ft / 75 cm is really good if you have a 24" tft)
    - waterproof finish (no rough wood or something), your sweat will otherwise leave ugly stains.
    - enough legroom: at least 2 ft / 60 cm wide space where you sit with nothing under the desk for the whole depth, better 3 ft / 90 cm.
    - some cable trench at the back is a nice addition
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet