Best Video Recording Software?

I've heard that Snap Pro X for Mac is awesome, and a lot less demanding than FRAPS, but I have a PC.

Is there anything out there that's better than FRAPS? A program that won't take such a toll on my framerate?

I am thinking of going with one of these:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/vid...ture-software/
    Last edited by Dvorjak; 2011-05-24 at 06:33 PM.

Fraps uses lot of resources because it captures lossless, some other programs like Xfire are fast because they record shit quality.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fraps just happens to be the most widely used of them all. Personally if I'm going for better quality I'd find something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Suikoden View Post
    Personally if I'm going for better quality I'd find something else.
    Nothing captures at better quality because Fraps does lossless. It's impossible by definition. Other programs might match the quality though.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Nothing captures at better quality because Fraps does lossless. It's impossible by definition. Other programs might match the quality though.
    I want a screen cap with an alpha channel, so you can, like, see through the machine man.

What about some of the others from the link I provided?

Like SMrecorder or hypercam?

Anything that doesn't kill my framerate like FRAPS would be awesome.

Deleted
    For games, or any OpenGL thingy, Fraps;
    For other stuff, Camtasia with the right settings (look it up)

IMO.

I find it difficult to believe that FRAPS is the best thing out there for the PC. I mean Snap Pro X for macs is amazing. Great lossless recording with little to no impact on framerate. FRAPS is a framerate killer, is there nothing better?

Capturing FullHD video lossless requires quite hefty computer and most of all fast discs to record to. Other programs than Fraps are fast because they do not actually capture lossless video. That Snapz Pro for example uses only lossy video capture codecs such as DV and h264 that are good for most people, but are not truly lossless.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how FRAPS is killing your framereate?

By default, FRAPS is set to record at 30 FPS -- This means the window you are currently in will only run at 30 FPS (while FRAPS is recording) so this is the only thing I would assume is causing you problems..

Try increasing the FPS in FRAPS to something closer to your actual FPS in game (you can set a custom FPS).

I mean that my computer can't handle it and record at the setting I like.

Anyway, MSI Afterburn doesn't hurt my framerate at all like FRAPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    Anyway, MSI Afterburn doesn't hurt my framerate at all like FRAPS.
    It also does not do lossless compression, but quality is good enough.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    I've heard that Snap Pro X for Mac is awesome, and a lot less demanding than FRAPS, but I have a PC.

Is there anything out there that's better than FRAPS? A program that won't take such a toll on my framerate?

I am thinking of going with one of these:

Lets say you play WoW and you have done multiple attempt on Ragnaros and your definetly making progress and you feel like you are going to down him soon. You start FRAPS to record your kill because you want to show the awsome kill to all your guildies on the forum. But as soon as you start FRAPS , you are like OMG my FPS is so bad wtf is wrong ... well dude its because your HDD is trying to acces alot DATA used by WoW while trying to record ALOT of DATA at the same time. Theres alot of mechanical component in a HDD and a regular 32mb/64mb cache 7200rpm HDD is just not fast enough to do both at the same time. So the simple solution is to get a second HDD and record stuff on it.

Then use something like Sorenson Squeeze 7 to convert ur .AVI to H264 to clean some space for the next time you want to record!
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2011-06-03 at 09:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Lets say you play WoW and you have done multiple attempt on Ragnaros and your definetly making progress and you feel like you are going to down him soon. You start FRAPS to record your kill because you want to show the awsome kill to all your guildies on the forum. But as soon as you start FRAPS , you are like OMG my FPS is so bad wtf is wrong ... well dude its because your HDD is trying to acces alot DATA used by WoW while trying to record ALOT of DATA at the same time. Theres alot of mechanical component in a HDD and a regular 32mb/64mb cache 7200rpm HDD is just not fast enough to do both at the same time. So the simple solution is to get a second HDD and record stuff on it.

Then use something like Sorenson Squeeze 7 to convert ur .AVI to H264 to clean some space for the next time you want to record!
    I think some casters like TB uses a SSD for his main and 2, 1 gig in raid0 for the fraps stuff..but that cost dosh..and i think its cuts down on the lag

Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    I think some casters like TB uses a SSD for his main and 2, 1 gig in raid0 for the fraps stuff..but that cost dosh..and i think its cuts down on the lag
    I have two caviar black 1tb and i can easily fraps WoW with no fps drops.

Deleted
    Is there a huge difference, for example Frapsing to a second HDD, or to a single HDD, for example a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache - OEM (ST31000524AS) [ST31000524AS]

Quote Originally Posted by Xenlol View Post
    Is there a huge difference, for example Frapsing to a second HDD, or to a single HDD, for example a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache - OEM (ST31000524AS) [ST31000524AS]
    Video recording will always be fastest when...

1) You record to a disc (not only partition but physical disc) that isn't in any other use at the moment (no windows, no wow, no mp3 playing... nothing).

2) You record to the start of the physical disc in an unfragmented space, this can be guaranteed if you for example format the disc into two parts and use the first one only for capture, and when you've finised with the capture and edit always delete whole disc contents totally empty to make sure new recording will be at the start of the disc again.

3) You do not use any kind of 5400rpm, green or low power HDD.

If you stick to these guidelines you'll get the best possible performance you can from a regular HDD. The more 'rules' of the three mentioned above you break, the slower your video capture will be.
    Trolling should be.

Try <snip>. You can set parameters like framerate as your requirements before recording a video. Few words can't describe all its features, you can download it to explore.

Infracted for advertising and thread necro - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2018-07-24 at 12:27 PM.