Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    18,006

    Cool AMD Ryzen Threadripper - AMD is back in the game!



    Gaming performance is basically the same as the rest of their Ryzen line of CPUs, but holy moly. This CPU is intense and that motherboard, the ASUS Zenith Extreme, is just beautiful. I really want to build a new computer around this now. ._.

    Discuss! Anyone have plans for Threadripper? Remember, for purely gaming, Intel is still mainly ahead, however for basically everything else, especially multithreaded programs: AMD is now squarely in 1st place, especially given the $1,000 price versus Intel's higher prices on their 10+ core CPUs.

    As TTL mentions, water-cooling is indeed, basically, a NEEDED scenario with Threadripper. AIOs are good enough, but if you really want to overclock, you're better off with dedicated water-cooling.
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | GTX 970 | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 775GB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Schiit WYRD | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

  2. #2
    Good to hear. Reviews are outstanding as with the other Ryzen. Also helps that optimisation has been great. RAM is expensive though but another area to gain better performance from besides overclocking from.

    I just built my Ryzen 1700. My first AMD purchase ever. Brilliant cpu so far. Loving the motherboard(same price for an intel mobo would have been feature thin). Nice upgrade from the 3770k I had. No hitching or pauses changing apps etc.

  3. #3
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    18,006
    To be honest, I'm surprised you had hitching/pauses changing apps. >_> That sounds like something else was wrong, that's definitely not that CPU. The 3770K was a powerful CPU and still is admirable.
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | GTX 970 | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 775GB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Schiit WYRD | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post


    Gaming performance is basically the same as the rest of their Ryzen line of CPUs, but holy moly. This CPU is intense and that motherboard, the ASUS Zenith Extreme, is just beautiful. I really want to build a new computer around this now. ._.

    Discuss! Anyone have plans for Threadripper? Remember, for purely gaming, Intel is still mainly ahead, however for basically everything else, especially multithreaded programs: AMD is now squarely in 1st place, especially given the $1,000 price versus Intel's higher prices on their 10+ core CPUs.

    As TTL mentions, water-cooling is indeed, basically, a NEEDED scenario with Threadripper. AIOs are good enough, but if you really want to overclock, you're better off with dedicated water-cooling.
    The fact that it essentially requires liquid cooling is a big fail in my eyes. It shows a lack of efficiency in the design. I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they used the full four dies.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post


    Gaming performance is basically the same as the rest of their Ryzen line of CPUs, but holy moly. This CPU is intense and that motherboard, the ASUS Zenith Extreme, is just beautiful. I really want to build a new computer around this now. ._.

    Discuss! Anyone have plans for Threadripper? Remember, for purely gaming, Intel is still mainly ahead, however for basically everything else, especially multithreaded programs: AMD is now squarely in 1st place, especially given the $1,000 price versus Intel's higher prices on their 10+ core CPUs.

    As TTL mentions, water-cooling is indeed, basically, a NEEDED scenario with Threadripper. AIOs are good enough, but if you really want to overclock, you're better off with dedicated water-cooling.
    I like the Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 design better then the ROG board if i should build a Threadripper setup
    Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
    Intel core i5 [email protected],6 GHz: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce OC: CORSAIR RMx 750W: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX Red 16GB DDR4 3200MHz: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: Creative Sound Blaster Z: Phanteks Enthoo Pro:

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised you had hitching/pauses changing apps. >_> That sounds like something else was wrong, that's definitely not that CPU. The 3770K was a powerful CPU and still is admirable.
    I sometimes wonder if a lot of the "snappiness" people associate with a new build is just a straight up clean windows install. I remember when my first i7920 burnt out and was basically DOA, my AMD machine it was replacing felt wild again.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! WskyDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    20 Miles to Texas, 25 to Hell
    Posts
    5,043
    Debating on building a threadripper setup once we move.
    That performance at that price point is really appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact that it essentially requires liquid cooling is a big fail in my eyes. It shows a lack of efficiency in the design. I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they used the full four dies.
    You mean running lower wattage and lower temps than intels equivalent(core count) is bad design?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact that it essentially requires liquid cooling is a big fail in my eyes. It shows a lack of efficiency in the design. I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they used the full four dies.
    intels closest competition:
    https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...E5-2683V4&c=CJ

    Costs about $1000 more and has a 5W higher TDP. I guess that has an ever bigger lackof efficiency in design and is a big fail too right?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    intels closest competition:
    https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...E5-2683V4&c=CJ

    Costs about $1000 more and has a 5W higher TDP. I guess that has an ever bigger lackof efficiency in design and is a big fail too right?
    Nope, because it can be cooled with air.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    You mean running lower wattage and lower temps than intels equivalent(core count) is bad design?
    If it only uses half the space in the CPU and still can't keep cool without liquid? 100%

  11. #11
    Titan
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    13,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact that it essentially requires liquid cooling is a big fail in my eyes. It shows a lack of efficiency in the design. I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they used the full four dies.
    It's not necessarily a lack of efficiency but rather to be expected. It's only as transistor size has decreased that getting huge core counts on single chips has been possible. Intel released the Xeon Phi's last year but their 72-core version had a turbo frequency of 1.7Ghz (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...sors/7290.html) which is the max turbo on those chips - the others run slower. Those chips are aimed at competing with Tesla and other GPU computing solutions as opposed to being your regular run of the mill consumer chips.

    There has to be tradeoffs somewhere - either on core count, clock speeds, or thermals. All 3 of these will improve as time goes on but we're not at the point where we can have ultra-high clock speeds with massive core counts without needing some pretty intense cooling. These are squarely in the consumer market, so they have to provide some level of competition in more applications which is only achievable with having a high clock speed and a high core count (at least for their target market within the sector).

    To be honest, I completely expected that if you'd be overclocking a Threadripper, you'd be wanting to invest in a dedicated loop. You're spending £1000 on a CPU, then it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't have the money to spend on cooling it properly.

    I dare say that they'll have 4-die chips soon but they'll likely run at much slower speeds and be aimed at the enterprise market where having extremely high thread count is more important that raw clock speeds. Take the perspective of a website that's handling millions of visitors per day. Being able to handle concurrency is the key and that's better done by utilizing an idle core or thread than by waiting for a core to become free (no matter how fast it runs, you've still got to wait) - this is amplified with real-time and streaming services (such as live chat or video).

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope, because it can be cooled with air.
    It also runs at 2.1Ghz. Bet if you ran a Threadripper at the same, you'd be able to also cool it with air.
    Last edited by Synthaxx; 2017-08-10 at 06:21 PM.




  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If it only uses half the space in the CPU and still can't keep cool without liquid? 100%
    Have you even watched the video? Or seen any other review? It does not require liquid cooler by any means. It have very good power draw and temps on air. You need liquid cooling if you are going to OC ALL THE COREs and by a quite a big margin too.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope, because it can be cooled with air.
    So can threadripper. If AIOs are enough, then good air coolers are too because some of the good air coolers are actually better than AIOs. I really find the statement the OP made:
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    water-cooling is indeed, basically, a NEEDED scenario with Threadripper. AIOs are good enough, but if you really want to overclock, you're better off with dedicated water-cooling.
    to be kinda silly. If AIOs are good enough, so are quality air coolers. Check this out
    http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2768&page=6

    As you can see the Dark Rock 3, Dark Rock Pro 3 and the NH-D15 all outperform the H80i, which is an AIO. So if AIOs are ok, so are good air coolers. Both can be cooled with air just fine. The intel has a higher TDP so it's going to produce more heat. So if you say it about Threadripper, it's true for intel as well.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It also runs at 2.1Ghz. Bet if you ran a Threadripper at the same, you'd be able to also cool it with air.
    It doesn't suit his narrative though.

  15. #15
    Stood in the Fire mojo6912's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    423
    These coolers don't have a proper fitting plate that covers both cores completely yet. Customized coolers with a bigger cold-plate should perform a bit better. Thermals are not really an issue with these chips anyway. I bet a high quality AIO with a proper fitting plate and a big radiator could potentially cool even all 4 cores (32 cores/64 threads) if need be.

  16. #16
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    18,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I sometimes wonder if a lot of the "snappiness" people associate with a new build is just a straight up clean windows install. I remember when my first i7920 burnt out and was basically DOA, my AMD machine it was replacing felt wild again.
    idk... I've had same Windows installs for years and if you just keep it up-to-date, clean, etc? Don't populate the RAM to 99%? Everything will mostly remain the same...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    These coolers don't have a proper fitting plate that covers both cores completely yet. Customized coolers with a bigger cold-plate should perform a bit better. Thermals are not really an issue with these chips anyway. I bet a high quality AIO with a proper fitting plate and a big radiator could potentially cool even all 4 cores (32 cores/64 threads) if need be.
    He was even saying, his main issue wasn't the CPU itself, but the rear of it.
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | GTX 970 | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 775GB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Schiit WYRD | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    These coolers don't have a proper fitting plate that covers both cores completely yet. Customized coolers with a bigger cold-plate should perform a bit better. Thermals are not really an issue with these chips anyway. I bet a high quality AIO with a proper fitting plate and a big radiator could potentially cool even all 4 cores (32 cores/64 threads) if need be.
    yet being the operative word. There are also these:
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u9-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

    which are new, so there aren't really benchmarks for them yet, but I assume they would perform similarly to the NH-D15 and they were practically designed just for Threadripper. Gonna tell me a company like Noctua is going to design something for Threadripper and it's not gonna be capable of keeping it cool enough? They offer a 6 year warranty on the cooler, so they are standing behind it and come on, it's Noctua. Noctua makes some of the best air coolers on the market.

    So in short, air is just fine for these things. It's only if OCing ALL cores to the MAX that liquid cooling becomes essentially required. The same could be said of nearly any CPU that you want to OC the shit out of. Higher clocks usually require more volts which needs better cooling.

  18. #18
    Interested in the 12 core one, mean gotta double up on cores from the 5820K, its the only way to see it!

  19. #19
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoko
    Posts
    14,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    yet being the operative word. There are also these:
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u9-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-tr4-sp3
    http://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

    which are new, so there aren't really benchmarks for them yet, but I assume they would perform similarly to the NH-D15 and they were practically designed just for Threadripper. Gonna tell me a company like Noctua is going to design something for Threadripper and it's not gonna be capable of keeping it cool enough? They offer a 6 year warranty on the cooler, so they are standing behind it and come on, it's Noctua. Noctua makes some of the best air coolers on the market.

    So in short, air is just fine for these things. It's only if OCing ALL cores to the MAX that liquid cooling becomes essentially required. The same could be said of nearly any CPU that you want to OC the shit out of. Higher clocks usually require more volts which needs better cooling.
    They're all technically the same as their non TR4 counterpart with the caveat of having a bigger base, which should help with heat transfer.
    Example of U14S non TR4 is here for a 200W load. 12V fan speed and 7V fan speed. Going off those numbers with a U14S it'll sit comfortably at a 55-60C range (assuming 27-30C ambient case temp). Since it has solder instead of TIM, the temperature difference is only going to be 1-2C when factoring in the IHS layer (going by Ryzen delid numbers iirc).
    Their test today shows the package doesn't go above their TDP of 180 at stock, sitting at 176-177 so it's within TDP. As opposed to Skylake-X going above TDP.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/...oler-roundup/7


    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-08-10 at 11:56 PM.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vineland, Cumberland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    3,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact that it essentially requires liquid cooling is a big fail in my eyes. It shows a lack of efficiency in the design. I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they used the full four dies.
    You mean EPYC? That seems to be doing quite well in the server/computing market. Kinda unrelated, but that's what it is.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'm looking for to a build with the 1900X, when ever that comes about. Want to build a TR-Vega pc to last me for the next 5 years. lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •