Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Burn4Free - Free CD/DVD/DVD-DL/Blu-Ray Copying and Burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Hell no. You want to keep that thing as far away from Windows based machines as possible. Mac OS is fine; but god damnit don't install it on a Windows machine unless you have no other option (e.g. stuck with an iPhone or iPad).

Speaking of Media players (well Video mainly in this case), it usually doesn't take this long for MPC-HC (Windows) to get mentioned in these types of threads.
    No thanks, I love iTunes and HATE windows media player. Winamp is nice and all but don't like it.
    Personal preference ... please no Mac was OEM's PC here pls...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterspark View Post
    No thanks, I love iTunes and HATE windows media player.
    Everybody hates windows media player, he was talking about Media Player Classic

Itunes is only recommended for better-than-average machines because once you load it up with a decent number of songs + videos, it slows down and is no longer smooth/quick with it's fancy non-windows GUI.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

No Apple software on my machine, thanks. QuickTime is annoying and useless enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    No Apple software on my machine, thanks. QuickTime is annoying and useless enough.
    I'm yet to find a purpose for QuickTime :S

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Some movie trailers are annoyingly in MOV format, Blizzard uses those too sometimes. Fortunately VLC can play those without any problems.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same QuickTime is absolute junk!

MPC + K-Lite Codec Pack - This combines MPC with the K-Lite codec pack, this is literally the last thing you'll ever have to download related to media players/codecs. There is no video/music format that I've had in the last 2 years that this cannot play (unless the file is corrupted). Goodbye VLC.
    Honestly there's almost no need for the codec pack, just MPC-HC. It should play pretty much ANYTHING made within the last several years with nothing else installed aside from haali's media splitter, to get file linking with mkvs.

You can get newer releases here: http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...inema-x86-x64/ as well as a Black modded version.

For straight up music I say foobar2000, at least until Amarok2 is working better on Windows.
    Also Unified Remote for anyone with an Android device: http://www.unifiedremote.com/
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Honestly there's almost no need for the codec pack, just MPC-HC.
    Yeah seems I'm a tad out of date here, HC looks like it covers everything and with a dedicated site....it's the way to go I suppose = /

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    You need it for Adobe After Effects, sadly. -_-
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    This site is nice because it has the updated version of the standalone filters. Which means that you can get the codecs from the MPC-HC and use them with another player, like KMPlayer.

K-Lite and any codec packs are a big mistake to install. Those are well known to cause 43637895648395 weird compatibility problems all around the system with all kinds of weird hacks.

All you need is MPC-HC and Haali's Media Splitter. VLC can be used for the 0.5% of the videos that MPC-HC can't play.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The standalone filters aren't a codec pack in the regular sense. You can get a specific decoder as a file and just tell KMPlayer to use it for some video format.
    The idea behind this is that there are some really good players with nice customization options that lack quality integrated codecs, while MPC-HC is not that great at customization but it has nice set of decoders, filters and etc.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-25 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmaniac View Post
    Can you please explain a little about what it does. The site is kinda lacking information. It looks like a program updater, but I don't want to be wrong about it and waste peoples time.
    You pick the programs you want, download the exe. It installs the selected programs that you don't have, and updates the ones you do have. You just run the exe and let it go - no dealing with clicking "next" a bunch of times in installation wizards, so you can go do something else while it installs everything.

Or this probably explains it better. ^_^ http://ninite.com/help/how-ninite-works/
    Look ahead and see, there's still so many borders we could cross
    Just you and me, making up for all the time that we have lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    K-Lite and any codec packs are a big mistake to install. Those are well known to cause 43637895648395 weird compatibility problems all around the system with all kinds of weird hacks.

All you need is MPC-HC and Haali's Media Splitter. VLC can be used for the 0.5% of the videos that MPC-HC can't play.
    True that.. had so MANY problems with K-Lite ... still use it... time to switch I guess. Thanks for link

Ding: Bloodsail Admiral..... ARRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

Or just get the specific filters/codecs needed for that small minority of files, which usually happen to be OLD formats or stuff like quicktime, and not have to deal with the garbage bin that is VLC.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

What's with the hate with VLC? Am I missing something? I watch my anime from VLC on my 22' monitor and it seems fine!

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaqera View Post
    What's with the hate with VLC? Am I missing something? I watch my anime from VLC on my 22' monitor and it seems fine!
    I agree with the hate because I've been trying to play my DVDs on my XP system laptop for the past 3 days and VLC lags the shit out of my computer and won't play my DVDs smoothly. And I REFUSE to pay for a plugin that will allow WMP to play my DVDs.

VLC just slows down my system and doesn't work -- so yeah, I'm not a fan of it, but seeing as how I don't have many other options its the devil I choose to live with.

OT -- thanks for the list OP. I'll be getting some of the programs after work!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

VLC is ok if you just want player that works. Or if you want to watch a stream of some kind. It's very good with streams.
    If you want extended customization options and settings, allowing you to do whatever you want with the player, then VLC is not a god choice.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-25 at 06:39 PM.