Thread: L.A. Noir(Sigh)

L.A. Noir(Sigh)

I have checked for another thread on Noir but haven't found it so i am making my own if i didnt see one i apologize in advance.
    I have also played all the way through so i have seen the ending.

I hate making this thread to bash Noir but Rockstar screwed up plain and simple.
    Mind you i have been playing rockstar games a very long time all gta, bully so on.

Lets start with the good.

The facial system is a wonder to be hold i loved that idea and it played perfectly.
    the scene and the period had the right fealing like you were in an actual Noir movie.
    Normal Rockstar driving and shooting refinement they had it right back in GTA 3 so cant blame them.

The Awful.

The difficulty NONE whatsoever. by that i mean that nothing you did in the game mattered all you got if you screwed over a mission was a chewing out by your boss.
    if you died you could try again from a check point.
    all not interviewing the witnesses right did was make you have a worse score the game would push you towards the crooks no matter what.
    One ending(i wont say what it is but for a crime story one ending)
    in a game where your a non dirty cop you had no morality choices.
    interaction between your partners is minimal at best they were added in for flavor and to shoot out the car your chasing wheels when applicable.
    No matter how bad you did your partners wouldn't be mad at you or not be their to help you once again showing that what you do in the world had NO effect on the story

Analysis
    They spent too much time on the facial software which i will reaferm was amazing they forgot to put in their rockstar touch of a dirty grimy world where you need to make a tough choices.
    It would have benefited from a morality letting you decide what the greater good was while trying to be a good cop in a corrupt town. Or how about a few false ending like on the murder desk you being suspected or an inquiry somewhere in the game where your partner needs help something to show that you have some effect not just a point on a straight line.

2.5/5 stars Game
    4/5 Story
    Last edited by dragoon22; 2011-05-25 at 04:19 AM. Reason: extra info

FYI Rockstar did not make the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoon22 View Post
    Rockstar screwed up plain and simple.
    This doesn't surprise me so much. It does leave me disappointed though. I thought it at least looked like it would be fun, but the lack of difficulty you listed kinda makes me not even want to try it. I might if I get the opportunity, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    FYI Rockstar did not make the game.
    they just supplied the engine and let the Australians go to work.

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 04:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    This doesn't surprise me so much. It does leave me disappointed though. I thought it at least looked like it would be fun, but the lack of difficulty you listed kinda makes me not even want to try it. I might if I get the opportunity, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it I guess.
    its a good, if kinda sad and depressing, story if none the least.

Team Bondi made this game rockstar just funded it.

And there facial animation was good but its already been outdated by leaps and bounds

http://igogaming.wordpress.com/2011/...ation-in-town/
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

I think the difficulty may come from running a spell check =|

but no.. seriously, I was too hoping for a better overall game. I agree with your review OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Domenik View Post

And there facial animation was good but its already been outdated by leaps and bounds

no doubt, but how many devs are going to put in for something like that... actually wait Bioware might do it.
    i mean a Shepard that doesn't look like he was dredged out of the Uncanny Vally? fucking wicked awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a great game, a game doesn't have to be hard to be fun.
    4/5

please place spoiler alert???? some poeple are still enjoying this game
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post

its a good, if kinda sad and depressing, story if none the least.
    Well I suppose I could at least borrow/rent it at some point, to give the story a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Domenik View Post

Only problem with that is if you look at the actual face mesh, the amount of computing power you'd need to actively render that would be insane. Does look very good though.

a little off topic but: i think morality choices sorta ruin the game, they try to make you seem like you are the character and seems to take away from character development, like you control an avatar that doesnt have a mind of its own.

on topic: i didnt buy it, but i watch my friend play, and its fun to watch. its like watching a movie, and i like to help during the investigations :P

I've never had to make "hard decisions" in a Rockstar game.

Only problem with that is if you look at the actual face mesh, the amount of computing power you'd need to actively render that would be insane. Does look very good though.
    From what I gathered its being installed into the new unreal engine which will be out on PC's next year hopefully and in the next gen of consoles but it is pretty cool to see
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    on topic: i didnt buy it, but i watch my friend play, and its fun to watch. its like watching a movie, and i like to help during the investigations :P
    The movie part is my whole point.
    off the top of my head. The Big Sleep, Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon. Three great Noir movies each about 10 dollars at wallmart.
    will give me about 6.5 hours of enjoyment cost about 30 $ (with commentary or extras and such)
    This game which if you cant tell i think is awful costs 60 and 6.5 hours in i was 3/4 of the way done with the game this was with auto driving and trying my best to find clues but not spending 3 hours on it.

You can play this game like a movie not a video game which is a kiss of death for a detective game i am suppose to catch criminals if i screw up every case and do nothing their is no consequences hence the earlier statement about much better movies. I restate that if the world never changes while your in game then why would you care. If i wanted to see a movie i could have spent ten bucks to go see priest
    Last edited by dragoon22; 2011-05-25 at 06:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that they showed this game as a film at the Tribeca Film Festival should tell you that it is really just a CG movie where you steer the main character around and control the pace but you don't get to make any real decisions.

It would have been nice to let the player choose to be a crooked cop or a clean cop and then have that factor into your cases such as taking bribes, framing people, murdering people, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played it a bit and so far I like it. My biggest beef is that so far all the street crimes have ended with me killing the suspect. It's alright. Slow paced, makes you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Its a great game in my opinion but all of the things you listed are valid, though not game breaking for me. I just enjoy the game as it goes by without nitpicking.

Would the things you listed make it a better game? Sure. But the game is still entertaining and fun for its duration.

I skip street crime now, its repetitive. I let my partner drive but don't skip the narration. You can actually turn OFF the foot chases and tailing shit too in the options, but I like that part.

The only thing that gets me frustrated sometimes is that it seems like the answer you pick should work. I'll give an example but it contains spoilers.
    ****SPOILERS IN THE EXAMPLE****

The guy who is clearly lying about not being part of the robbery heists. I call him on lying and I need to pick something that proves he is involved.
    Here are the things I can pick from:
    A pearl ring that is reported stolen that his fiancée is wearing AT THAT MOMENT, which he gave her
    A fabrasia cigarette case was sold to a pawn broker, by the guy, which is also on the list of reported stolen goods
    A Ring that is on the dead girls finger that he knew and had "relations" with... also on the list of reported stolen goods
    A list of reported stolen goods, most of which he had in his possession at some point that multiple people can vouch for

Guess what? NONE OF THOSE INCRIMINATING THINGS ARE THE CORRECT ANSWER. So, you get them WRONG. End of interviewing THAT witness, who could possibly be one of the murderers.

That shit pisses me off. Other than that I like the game and it was worth the money.

Loved the game personally, just thought it was a bit too linear. There were the street crimes or whatever but it never really felt like I could just go do whatever around L.A.