Poll: If givent he oppurtunity, would you be immortal?

Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If you could be immortal...would you?

Like the title suggests, if you could be immortal, your body would never age, you'd stay whatever age you are currently, would you? Really think about it before you answer...

Personally I wouldn't because even if you never die, your mind can only take so many memories...eventually you'd go insane and I'd rather be dead than a raving lunatic (x

edit to clarify the type of immortality we are discussing:

1) Your body would not age
    2) Disease, poison, and venom won't harm you
    3) Outside lethal forces (with the exception of those listed above --- e.g a bullet to the head) would kill you
    Last edited by -Zait-; 2011-05-25 at 07:31 AM.

Deleted
    Immortality is a curse, you are doomed to lose everyone you ever loved or will love and there is no way of escaping this circle of pain and suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadesh View Post
    Immortality is a curse, you are doomed to lose everyone you ever loved or will love and there is no way of escaping this circle of pain and suffering.
    Haha alright, Debbie downer.

I would do it. I could live with losing everyone I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I got many thing to see and only 80 or so years, the thing I want to see are over thousands of years away. For my the eventual lost of love ones is a price I am willing to pay.

Think I would. So much to see!

nope, immortality sounds like a curse to me, too many reasons to give so im just not gonna
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

10+ Year Old Account
    I would take immortality, and would spend years trying to duplicate my own immortality for my loved one.

Wrong forum, bud.

And I'm sure time dilation and mounting regret would drive any normal person insane long before they get to enjoy cool future things.

For anyone wondering, time dilation is why children can barely wait an hour for something, while over 80 years old you can have entire months pass by without really noticing. Now extend that indefinitely. You'd get to the point where centuries pass like moments. With our lifespans, we die just as it starts to become a problem.

Time dilation is the reason in most fantasy settings, elves don't get romantically involved with humans - they die too fast. Losing a loved one is hard enough, let alone having them die of old age while you're still young.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post

What's the closest relationship you have had to a lost one?

OT: No losing my loved ones is too much for me to handle. I used to think it wouldn't affect me but losing my dad this past year when I was only 20 and he was only 43, it was the worst pain in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post

bahaha you'd be the first sociopath immortal pink pony ;P

---------- Post added 2011-05-24 at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I would take immortality, and would spend years trying to duplicate my own immortality for my loved one.
    Would she/he want it though?

Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    What's the closest relationship you have had to a lost one?

OT: No losing my loved ones is too much for me to handle. I used to think it wouldn't affect me but losing my dad this past year when I was only 20 and he was only 43, it was the worst pain in the world.
    My mother when I was 7.

And I'm sorry for you loss.

Hell no.

I await death. Not eagerly, and yet not fearfully. It's like going to sleep, and I know I'll need a long (eternal, really) nap when I'm done here.

Plus, all the "losing family" business wouldn't go down so well either, probably.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. There are too many negatives to outweigh the benefits.

Part of the allure of life is that there's a time limit to it, so you work hard to accomplish everything you can. With immortality, what's the allure to doing anything?

Of course. Being there for the last day of earth must be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not?!

Can you imagine all the things you'd see! All the things you'd learn, and know! How technology would evolve around you, the amazing advances you'd be able to partake in... And think of what you could contribute back to the world, with time to be patient and let positive ideas and research gather momentum under your efforts and supervision.

Of course! It would be incredible.

Well if by immortal you mean my body never aged but could still die by like being decapitated then yes.
    If not and you could never die no matter what then hell no. I'm more curious about death than I am about living forever to see all this universe has to offer.

Only if there were some way out of it. Otherwise, hell no.
    Doesn't play WoW but continues to lurk MMO-Champion.

Deleted
    Im already immortal...

Deleted
    Naah, Would be selfish to stay alive while others pass away. Couldn't live with the fact my wife dies, my kids die, my grandchildren die, and keep staying alive just to mourn in tears.

I'll keep watching over them when i passed away, that's enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    This, definitely.