Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Age og Conan - Free to play with Micro transactions.

Age of Conan is going to re-release their Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures under the name of Age of Conan: Unrated.

The game is going to have micro transaction for premium content.

Source: Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas.
    http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/age-of...ratis/20061928
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Får håpe dette fungerer

I really hope this will work.

The game is fine, just needs more people.
    Hope this will work out for them.

Also, english link: http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1170536p1.html

Free and Premium content comparison:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=233500

Official announcement:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=233502
    Last edited by Grable; 2011-05-25 at 09:24 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Well, I was right in a post I made, I was expecting AOC to go f2p. I still have my sub tho, and play about 1-2 times a week with some friends. They have made some improvements. A lot less buggy thankfully. Be nice to see more people in the world tho.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

That F2P package seems rather awesome, when compared to LotRO one that is extremely limited.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

and Funcom is also introducing an in-game store to the game where both free players and premium subscribers can purchase exclusive content such as weaponry and mounts
    That seems kinda scary though, if they start selling powerful items this isn't going to end well.

Tried it, didn't like it.
    Lightwell! It's gewd!

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    That seems kinda scary though, if they start selling powerful items this isn't going to end well.
    They already stated that these items will NOT be more powerful than the ones you get from dungeons and raids.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    That F2P package seems rather awesome, when compared to LotRO one that is extremely limited.
    Oh nice, I might give it a go when it comes out. I kinda liked the Conan stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    Oh nice, I might give it a go when it comes out. I kinda liked the Conan stories.
    I tried it again after the expansion and it had the grindiest quests ever with horrible lag when you zoned into the new areas. I didn't last long, such a shame as I liked the different characters, just end game I didn't really enjoy at all.

Age of Conan has a really different feel to it from WoW so if you want something that looks gorgeous and have a machine that can run it, I think it's worth trying.

The quest lines are all very detailed, probably too detailed for those who just want to click and get the objectives. The characters you meet really fit the barbaric world Conan lives in. Some of the quests have voice acting mostly the earlier ones. The dungeons when I did them weren't very exciting but had a good creepy atmosphere. That's the main thing I liked about Conan, it felt like a book, rather than WoW's Loony Tunes.

However, since I couldn't get many of my friends to play it I had to give it up because it's hard to have the time to play WoW and another MMORPG.
    PvP is for those of lower intellect. Only someone with a low IQ would look at class imbalances, gear issues, racials, RNG, level advantages and number advantages and then claim that it was their skill was the main deciding factor in a battle. That's if they win. If they lose, the above will all of a sudden become relevant to them.

Huh. It might be worth checking out again now that it's f2p.

Here's just hoping the microtransactions are mostly utilities and cosmetics. I don't approve of pay-to-win.

well this game is actually hard to play solo.
    I have 62 lvl rog, but every damn quest is grindy. some quests don't gief XP. and traveling is tedious.

but if you have 2-3 friends and Power full PC, it's fun as hell.
    PvP and ganking is most welcome.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Going F2P doesnt change the fact that the game requires heavy grinding and the storyline falls short of boring shortly after lvl 20. I was one of those poor fools who bought the AoC collectors edition needless to say I got my boys snipped afterwards cause by me paying for the CE of Age of Crap it proves some people shouldnt have children so I have choosen to not spread my weak seed and therefor preventing craping companies from profiting from stupid people.

Feel free to flame me for buying age of conan CE I have been since 2008. my wife doesnt even do me anymore shes so embarresed I even bought the game. Ive become fat and depressed over what is sure to have been the worst mistake of my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll check it out. I had very hopse for this game and it dissapointed me greatly, but I'm willing to give it another try if I don't have to pay for it

You will be able to pay for weapons. This will serve to be a perfect example of how not to use micro transactions.

Regardless of what they promise, the weapons they will sell will be equall if not better then the best weapons. You can't get people to buy shitty items. It will be a pay-2-win game. The few players that still like it will leave as they realise that lesser players can out-buy their hard work.

I don't mind people paying for mounts and other vanity shit but items? That doesn't fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnxxx View Post
    Going F2P doesnt change the fact that the game requires heavy grinding and the storyline falls short of boring shortly after lvl 20. I was one of those poor fools who bought the AoC collectors edition needless to say I got my boys snipped afterwards cause by me paying for the CE of Age of Crap it proves some people shouldnt have children so I have choosen to not spread my weak seed and therefor preventing craping companies from profiting from stupid people.

Feel free to flame me for buying age of conan CE I have been since 2008. my wife doesnt even do me anymore shes so embarresed I even bought the game. Ive become fat and depressed over what is sure to have been the worst mistake of my life.
    No wonder she doesn't do you! ..it has nothing to do with buying CE though.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I bought the CE. My wife still does me. Game is not that bad. Had major issues when launched, but that has really been fixed except for a few small things.
    Last edited by Nazdreg; 2011-05-25 at 09:36 PM.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

I actually have the collectors box. Might start playing again if it's free..

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Ok, I'm not bothering with this crap.

They sent me an email saying:

I download the whole thing (around 11 GB) and then it says "Authentication Failure" and yes my info is correct I can log into account management.
    You make it almoust sound like that no other MMO's ever have had any login issues when major changes are done and tons of people might be returning to check out things.