10+ Year Old Account

Replacement for iTunes

Now I need a favor from you guys - I'm not exactly heavy on software knowledge, so does anyone know a program that REPLACES iTunes for iPod use? There's one thing I HATE that iTunes does -it converts every goddamn music and video file on your iPod into a 4-letter name (e.g. QSLZ) and puts it into a folder named F## (e.g. F14), and I've got 30 different "F" folders, so once you load the file through iTunes onto your iPod you will NEVER be able to find it again through windows explorer.

Another scenario is if you lose all your music on your PC and want to re-load the music from your iPod back into iTunes, it basically can't be done. This happened a few months ago when I lost literally 7000-8000 songs due to my HDD dying, and my iPod had ALL that music on it - except that I couldn't use it as a backup/restore point. You can drag music from iTunes to your iPod, but you can't drag music from your iPod back into iTunes. Seriously, what the hell Apple?

I know Apple fuckin does this on purpose, they FORCE you to use iTunes because it's impossible to navigate your way around the mess of folders within my iPod. So yeah, any program which is built for windows and does exactly what iTunes does without corrupting my iPod?

Oh and I have a 6th gen 160gb iPod classic if that helps. It's served me faithfully for almost 2 years, it's a solid little device with no flaws (yet) but I HATE ITUNES.

Note: I've tried MediaMonkey a while back, it managed to sync music to my iPod but screwed up all the album art. I like my album art -_-
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-05-25 at 09:38 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp .Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winam p.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.Winamp.

I recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Winamp. x100

10+ Year Old Account
    Winamp?? I used to run that like 3 years ago, when did they add iPod compatibility to it??

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Winamp?? I used to run that like 3 years ago, when did they add iPod compatibility to it??
    Few years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thanks guys, Winamp it is
    Will attempt importing my library into Winamp and hopefully it'll be able to read music from my iPod too.

Deleted
    'There's one thing I HATE that iTunes does -it converts every goddamn music and video file on your iPod into a 4-letter name (e.g. QSLZ) and puts it into a folder named F## (e.g. F14), and I've got 30 different "F" folders, so once you load the file through iTunes onto your iPod you will NEVER be able to find it again through windows explorer.'

If you want music to play on your iPod it has to do that. It's basically to stop the copying of music from an iPod (but the music is still a music file).

'Another scenario is if you lose all your music on your PC and want to re-load the music from your iPod back into iTunes, it basically can't be done.'

It can be done. Quite easily actually. You have obviously not looked into it thoroughly enough.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doubletwist is also viable. Haven't used it since beta though. Got rid of my icrap.

First: Don't browse your ipod, doesn't work you don't need to
    Second: Don't let itunes manage your mp3s on your computer (you were asked that upon first start)

And then: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort You can try, though it seems there are some issues with it.
    Rockbox rules beyond measure.
    It can't be less stable than stock software anyway.

Also: AmaroK

Deleted
    I tried Winamp for a while myself but went back to iTunes. Just bite down hard on your pillow and it isn't as bad. I use a program called iFunBox along with it though, not sure if that helps you though.

Not using apple devices is the best solution, mp3's + winamp on the PC. Convert the mp3 to mp4 for my cellphone for music on the go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I tried Winamp for a while myself but went back to iTunes. Just bite down hard on your pillow and it isn't as bad. I use a program called iFunBox along with it though, not sure if that helps you though.
    Same, used Winamp and couldn't get used it. Currently use iTunes and haven o problems what so ever with it... No system runs slow bollocks. My friend uses Winamp and he swears by it, what ever works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Now I need a favor from you guys - I'm not exactly heavy on software knowledge, so does anyone know a program that REPLACES iTunes for iPod use? There's one thing I HATE that iTunes does -it converts every goddamn music and video file on your iPod into a 4-letter name (e.g. QSLZ) and puts it into a folder named F## (e.g. F14), and I've got 30 different "F" folders, so once you load the file through iTunes onto your iPod you will NEVER be able to find it again through windows explorer.

Another scenario is if you lose all your music on your PC and want to re-load the music from your iPod back into iTunes, it basically can't be done. This happened a few months ago when I lost literally 7000-8000 songs due to my HDD dying, and my iPod had ALL that music on it - except that I couldn't use it as a backup/restore point. You can drag music from iTunes to your iPod, but you can't drag music from your iPod back into iTunes. Seriously, what the hell Apple?

I know Apple fuckin does this on purpose, they FORCE you to use iTunes because it's impossible to navigate your way around the mess of folders within my iPod. So yeah, any program which is built for windows and does exactly what iTunes does without corrupting my iPod?

Oh and I have a 6th gen 160gb iPod classic if that helps. It's served me faithfully for almost 2 years, it's a solid little device with no flaws (yet) but I HATE ITUNES.

Note: I've tried MediaMonkey a while back, it managed to sync music to my iPod but screwed up all the album art. I like my album art -_-
    As long as you use the stock apple firmware, you will be stuck with it doing that. Regardless of which software you use. It's how the database on the device works. The only other option, aside from a different player, is to wait til rockbox has been fully ported to the classic. It works on the 5.5Gen, and works well. But they only recently were able to start running code on the classics. But with rockbox, you can just copy your music folders over, in most any format, and it works. http://www.rockbox.org

I have a 160GB Classic converted to use a 64GB CF Card and i'm waiting for Rockbox to work on it.

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 10:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    First: Don't browse your ipod, doesn't work you don't need to
    Second: Don't let itunes manage your mp3s on your computer (you were asked that upon first start)

And then: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort You can try, though it seems there are some issues with it.
    Rockbox rules beyond measure.
    It can't be less stable than stock software anyway.

Also: AmaroK

What he said, too early and missed it.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Back when I had an 80gb classic, I used something called SharePod.
    red panda red panda red panda!