Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Denmark bans Marmite under food safety regulations.

You either love it or hate it, I guess the Danes hate it!

Denmark has banned the savoury spread Marmite, saying its added vitamins and minerals break food safety laws. By law, Danish authorities must give their permission for products with such additives to be sold.

In recent years they have banned several well-known items - including the chocolate malt drink Ovaltine and some breakfast cereals.

Already a shop in Copenhagen has been ordered to remove jars of the British delicacy from its shelves.

BBC Europe correspondent Chris Morris says there are suggestions that the Danish ban could break European law.

Outraged expats in Denmark are threatening a campaign of civil disobedience, he says.

Nutritionist Melanie Brown told the BBC she believed a ban on Marmite, which is rich in B-vitamins, as well riboflavin and niacin, was counterproductive.

"Marmite plays such a useful part in many people's diet, and in my practice it's incredibly useful for older people...who are short in vitamin B-12.

"It's full of folic acid, and there's lots of evidence that many women, young women of child-bearing age are deficient in folic acid," she said.

Kelloggs withdrew some brands of breakfast cereal from the country after the legislation passed in 2004 but Marmite had previously escaped unnoticed, reports the UK's Guardian newspaper.

"What am I supposed to put on my toast now?" the newspaper reported British advertising executive Colin Smith, who has lived in the country for six years, as saying.

"I still have a bit left in the cupboard, but it's not going to last long."
    – Quote from the BBC, Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13536479
    Last edited by Toccs; 2011-05-25 at 01:42 PM.

Deleted
    Oh gee, the world is indeed ending.

I am pretty sure the Danish authorities who decide this have their reasons. They're not just gonna ban something because they don't like it. I've never heard of marmite, and the wiki page didn't really bring much knowledge on the taste. But have you heard about Marmalade? Nutella? Honey? Peanut butter? Cheese? Ham? There are a lot of things to put on your bread, I think you'll survive.
    The danish legislation you're talking about also banned Skittles, although I loved those a lot, they contained a loooot of bad stuff, hence they got banned. I think it's good to know that our government and the responsible authorities care enough to take their time and do stuff like this, to protect their people. Why do you think alcohol and cigarettes are so damn expensive in Denmark? And when we get our new government later this year, they're gonna increase the price on unhealthy junk - Can't live without it? Too bad for you.

GO DENMARK!

Its discusting and smells awful, maybe this will lead the way for the other countries to also ban this abomonation of foods!

Im danish, and ive never heard of the thing nor the ban

10+ Year Old Account
    They sure ban some weird stuff. What is wrong with Ovomaltine? (never seen marmite in my life down here)
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Im danish, and ive never heard of the thing nor the ban
    now we're two, lol.

And besides... Denmark breaking European law... We hear that every day... We arent even full member of the EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    *Arranges moving to Denmark*

At least the Danes see sense!
    Marmite is bloody awful stuff. I'd rather lick a hobo's armpit than let that foul concoction anywhere near my toast.

In all seriousness though, it seems a bit ridiculous for their government to ban it. I always understood that marmite is fairly healthy. Surely better for you than slathering your toast in peanut butter?
    I don't think I'd appreciated being "nannied" (don't think that's even a word, but never mind!) by the state that much.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

15+ Year Old Account
    All I have to say is:

Vegemite or GTFO.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post

Marmite is bloody awful stuff. I'd rather lick a hobo's armpit than let that foul concoction anywhere near my toast.

In all seriousness though, it seems a bit ridiculous for their government to ban it. I always understood that marmite is fairly healthy. Surely better for you than slathering your toast in peanut butter?
    I don't think I'd appreciated being "nannied" (don't think that's even a word, but never mind!) by the state that much.
    No we banned sense too - together with not allowing danes to enter the Arena tourn and Recruit a friend

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL but stupid reason tbh and marmite is awesome, shame for all the people there that ACTUALLY like it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    All I have to say is:

Vegemite or GTFO.
    lololol quoted for absolute truth. Vegemite is FTW
    A signature infraction is the initiation ritual of MMO-Champion. True story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post

I wish we didn't have to be nannied either, but the fact is a lot of people can't think for themselves, and need this sort of stuff to rely on when making their decisions in life. Anarchy is awesome, so is communism, but only in theory, in today's society it will only lead to chaos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FruityFrodo View Post
    Oh gee, the world is indeed ending.

I am pretty sure the Danish authorities who decide this have their reasons. They're not just gonna ban something because they don't like it. I've never heard of marmite, and the wiki page didn't really bring much knowledge on the taste. But have you heard about Marmalade? Nutella? Honey? Peanut butter? Cheese? Ham? There are a lot of things to put on your bread, I think you'll survive.
    The danish legislation you're talking about also banned Skittles, although I loved those a lot, they contained a loooot of bad stuff, hence they got banned. I think it's good to know that our government and the responsible authorities care enough to take their time and do stuff like this, to protect their people. Why do you think alcohol and cigarettes are so damn expensive in Denmark? And when we get our new government later this year, they're gonna increase the price on unhealthy junk - Can't live without it? Too bad for you.
    The OP isn't even Danish. Stop going menstrual over this and step back so you can laugh at how farcical it is.

Alcohol expensive in Denmark now...?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    The OP isn't even Danish. Stop going menstrual over this and step back so you can laugh at how farcical it is.
    Sorry, I am pretty sure it was the OP who was going "menstrual" over the ban. I was just trying to give him an alternative and explain to him why they might have banned it, and also telling him it's normal procedure in Denmark. And it's not at all absurd to ban something if it's against a law, that's the freaking meaning of having that law.

Deleted
    I love Marmite, it's a shame so many Danes will never get to try it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Alcohol expensive in Denmark now...?
    http://www.pricewiki.com/blog/2010/0...hol-in-europe/

Compared to Norway, it's pretty damn cheap, my god Norway, that is really expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    I love Marmite, it's a shame so many Danes will never get to try it.
    if its so awesome we will get it from Sweden cheaper than it was here... Yup thats how danes work

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 02:40 PM ----------

meh... we still have lots of money... SU FTW!

but maaaan i could have gotten drunk many time had i lived in bulgaria - well prolly not then i wouldnt have had much money

Danish law says that you cant make the rules worse than the european laws.
    What we are doing here in Denmark is however, to have more strict rules on what is allowed to be in the food thats on the shelves, so sorry us for having higher standards than the rest.