Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bucaneer/Pirate Class

Went and saw PotC 4 last night. Made me think; We have ninjas (Rogues), Zombies (Death Knights), why not a Pirates? Playable I mean.

So I'll briefly post my ideas rather than wasting my time posting mass amounts of info, only for people to disagree on some stuff, which I know will happen - Or for people to disagree on the idea, and so I'll have wasted my time posting a wall of text.

Why I think this class would make sense:
    - We know that Kul Tiras has still to make an appearance, and even if it was destroyed in the Cataclysm, Jaina would have mentioned it by now.
    - Pistols are bound to come. We got gnomish chainsaws, why the heck not pistols? Even the last boss of SFK has a pistol or two.
    - Similar to how the Death Knight had a specialty mount only for their class which made its debut appearance in the previous expansion (flying mount, Skeletal Gryphon), the Bucaneer would get a specialty mini pirate ship for water mounts.

Back Story:
    Following the Cataclysm, the Island nation and Alliance navy capitol of Kul tiras was stripped of most of its fleet, and its defences, allowing an opening for Pirates (maybe not the Bloodsail, we'll see) to raid and pillage the town. Now, you'll either be a Pirate, or a Bucaneer of the Kul Tiras fleet, may change depending on the feedback.
    OR
    You are an Alliance Slave aboard a Horde ship/Horde slave aboard an Alliance ship and you cause a Mutiny. You start off in a Cell which is phased, alongside some other NPCs who are vital charatcers to the Bucaneer story. Courtesy of Ellefar.
    OR
    You start out as a level 12 character, and are of high ranking as a pirate or of a Bucaneer fleet. And you are asked how you got here, and so the questing zone is set through phasing flashbacks and you create your own story, like you can be a rutheless pirate where you choose the evil choices in your flashback. Or you can choose the good path and be a respected Bucaneer.
    Talent Trees:
    - Duelist - Melee oriented. Only use one 1H weapon. The spare hand would be used for gripping an enemies weapon, pushing, grabbing, etc. So Duelist would be more of a pvp spec, or leveling. Seems pointless for raiding. Keep in mind, Bucaneer may not be a tanking class at the moment.
    - Brigand - Ranged oriented (the name of this talent tree is kinda rough, may change it if I find a better name) Dual pistols, bombs, cannons, etc. Or Crossbow/Rifle Or single Pistol and hand free for bombs, etc. See Pistols as "Stencil Weapons" for explanation.
    - Marauder - Again, a rusty name. My idea is that this spec would be based around a 1h weapon in mainhand, and a pistol off-hand.

"Stances/Presences"
    Knowing our little community here, there will probably be people saying "But nooooo we already have this for Druids/Pallies/Death Knights/Warriors!" Well, I say to those people, Only warriors have this type of system. Pallies have raid wide buffing auras, Death Knights have self buffing auras, and Druids have forms, not stances. So given that only warriors have had the stance system, It could work for the Bucaneer/Pirate. There would be the Duelist Stance, Munition (again, rusty name) Stance, and Raider Stance. Nothing more to be said other than the stances providing a miniscule self buff like Warriors have, except not High Damage/Balanced/High Defense (Or however your language spells it).

EDIT: Following some convincing by the posters so far, we've concluded that the idea is too much like the Warrior, so we've altered it a little bit. I intended for it to be using the warriors unique spell bars for each stance. As of the change, it is now similar to the stance system with their own unique spell bar setups, however, it won't provide self static buffs, they will have the names changed to Duelists' Grace, Brigand's Aim, and Marauder's Cruelty.

2 Pistols as "Stencil Weapons"
    The idea of this is that when you equip a ranged weapon, the stats of the said weapon are distributed evenly among the two pistols. You'll also be able to purchase different models for the pistols so that you don't get bored of the same old model.

I didn't mean for just Bucaneers/Pirates having access to the Pistols. Of course other classes will have access.

That will be it for now. Hopefully its not too text wallish. I'll post below a list of things that I'd appreciate feedback on.
    Remember, this is a fanbased Class. Doesn't mean that it will happen, and I know alot (and Hyperbole and a Half will hunt me now ) of you want Demon Hunters, desperately. But I just don't see them coming until at least the Burning Legion makes a reapearance. And I know alot of you will say "But we have 10 classes, and 10 character slots. There needs to be no more!". Well, I say to you, Blizzard mentioned something regarding this in a survey about additional character slots, possibly hinting and upgrade to the character limit per realm and universal account limit (10 and 50 respectively). SO LET THIS BE A FRIENDLY THREAD, YOU MAY FLAME REGARDING THE FACT THAT IT'S NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN, JUST GO AHEAD, IT WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. THERES NO CONFIRMING THIS WILL HAPPEN (Sorry, the caps were intentional so that people would hopefully read that specific part).

Things I'd like feedback on:
    1. What do you think of the idea of the class?
    2. What do you think of the Talent Trees, and obviously, their names?
    3. What do you think of the Story?
    4. What do you think of the Stances?
    5. What do you think about the "Stencil Weapons" for the Pistols idea?
    Last edited by Auxis; 2011-05-25 at 03:03 PM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Yarrr..

A Pirates life for me!

Deleted
    The second or third Pirate / Bucaneer thread.
    Still no thanks, even though Pirates > All.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Watching "PotC 4" made you think ... Wow.

Deleted
    1. I would LOVE pirates in World of Warcraft
    2. Well, it's okay.. But could be better and also Munitions should be called "Gunslinger".
    3. I think you should start our as a slave on a horde ship if you're alliance, and on a alliance ship if horde. And then you would mutiny (<- i don't think that's correct (English is not my main language)). This could be done like this: You create your character and spawns in a cell with some npcs (in a phased zone). You begin a questline.
    4. I don't think that is a good idea because it's a direct copy of the warrior, you could do unique stances but not this one
    5. It would actually be good with a new kind of ranged weapon, but then it should be like other weapons where you have stats on the weapon, and ofc. hunters should be able to use guns too.

And also, i don't like the pirate ship mount, idea. I also watched PotC4 3D and i loved it

I loved playing my corsair in FF11 online there gambling ability which either gave the group a 1 hour long buff or debuff was awesome and exciting to use in a raid
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellefar View Post
    4. I don't think that is a good idea because it's a direct copy of the warrior, you could do unique stances but not this one
    5. It would actually be good with a new kind of ranged weapon, but then it should be like other weapons where you have stats on the weapon, and ofc. hunters should be able to use guns too.

And also, i don't like the pirate ship mount, idea. I also watched PotC4 3D and i loved it
    2. We'll adjust the Munitions talent tree name to Gunslinger. See what other people think.
    3. We'll add the idea of being a slave to the backstory as an or. Maybe it could be set as like a flashback. You come into the game as like a level 12 (following your questing zone) and your like a high ranked bucaneer, and your asked how you got to your current position, and you tell your story.
    4. I was thinking along the lines of stances as in when u are in Duelist stance, you have just a 1h weapon, and when you change into Gunslinger, you have duel pistols/if noone likes that idea, have a single pistol, then the other hand spare for throwing bombs, or use it for steadier shooting (i know, unintentional reference to Hunter spam shot), and the Raider stance would have a single pistol off hand and your 1h weapon, all automatically switched when you change stances, but I see where your getting at with too similar to Warriors.
    Maybe just have the "stances", with no buffs, and change the names of the stances, but I still think having the system where each stance has its own spell bar should be used. Maybe the names for the stances could be Duelist's Grace, Gunslinger's Aim, and Raider's Cruelty?
    5. I was thinking of more along the lines of Pistols being in game for other classes, but there is a special slot just for Bucaneers where you put the ranged weapon into the pistol slot, and the stats are redistributed to the pistols, and you can either choose between cross bows, rifle guns, or dual pistols as part of the Gunslinger tree.to cope with ala DKs pre nerf to heck.
    Pirate Ship Idea: Yeah, that was a bit far fetched, was just trying to go along with the idea of the previous Hero class, but I remember now that they made the mistake of caling it a hero class because a hero would be too OP for other classes

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I think it's a fun idea, we see pirates all over the place in wow, so why not as a class.
    Your 3 talent trees could be Duelist, Brigand and Marauder (in any particular order)

Not sure about stances though. Could work, but yeah, it's been done. I guess you could always just call them something else... But a little more orginal would be nice.
    Back story works for me, but I'm no lore buff by any stretch of the imagination.
    WRT the weapons - I can't think of a better way to implement pistols off the top of my head - as we wouldn't want weapons introduced that only one class can use, so "splitting" a regular ranged weapon into two pistols ain't a terrible idea.

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 04:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    We'll adjust the Munitions talent tree name to Gunslinger
    Doesn't work imo.
    Gunslinger puts me in mind of a cowboy from a spaghetti western rather than a Buccaneer.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry guys, my internet is acting like a bad little boy who acts nice for the Network Diagnosis, but acts up when the Diag isn't watching >_>
    So I'll try to edit the first post like I said, but be warned, as my internet is being a b*&ch.

We got gnomish chainsaws
    We did?

10+ Year Old Account
    just a side note (havnt read ALL of it yet to reply fully, maybe ill edit and add more) typically a mutiny (which is the right word, to post... 3 i think?) involved overthrowing the captain. So if you succeeded, you'd be the new captain or first mate. if you failed, however, you were commonly dropped off at a random island, actually rather like what happened to Captain Jack. So, I'm not sure why one would end up in a cell. Maybe if they were caught for being a pirate?

Anybody else who thought of Maplestory when they saw the title?

OT: sounds like a cool idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe blizz could do an excellent job introducing a pirate class. Your idea is on the right track but lacks depth and foundation compared to some other theorycrafters out here on mmo. Dont worry too much about names rather then the functionality of class being purposed. Really put some work into this and I bet you could see some followers.

1. The idea is solid, Pirates in WoW have a good strong background. As for the pistol vs gnomish chainsaws.. bad argument. The chainsaws are classified as swords not a weapon class of its own as you will make pistols out to be. Love the mini pirate ship idea
    2. Duelist - Pushing? Grabbing? This isnt supersmash bro. You could do a fist oriented spec with pistols or 1 handers being "statsticks"
    Munitions - Alright, not bad. Like the idea of cannons and bombs. Keeps them unique from a hunter
    Raider - Eh, needs more to give advice. Not sure where youre going with it.
    3. The story is alright, again needs more depth. They need to be able to tie into the alli and horde. Explain why they are requesting help to push back the bloodsail or whoever is invading.
    4. Idk about stances.. Maybe introduce something like Expertise. Munition expertise specializes in firearms and buff range weps. Duelist expertise that focuses on hand to hand combat. Raider expertise that does a little of both? Something along those lines..
    5. Idk about that.. you'd need a weapon class all their own that maybe warriors and rogues could use as ranged. This keeps people from crying that "Pirates have their own loot!!! QQ" Pistols could work though with a little thought put behind them...

I aint bashing, just giving constructive criticsm for a decent idea. I want to see it flourish into something great.
    Last edited by Yzyz; 2011-05-25 at 03:18 PM.

Amazing sig compliments of Alyajna!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    We did?
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=47500

Rogues are a versitle class. They have a ninja spec (Sub) and a pirate spec (combat). Rogues are already the least played class at 85. Let's not divide their niche further.
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jishdefish View Post
    Rogues are a versitle class. They have a ninja spec (Sub) and a pirate spec (combat). Rogues are already the least played class at 85. Let's not divide their niche further.
    Since when do combat rogues swing on ropes, fire pistols, throw bombs, etc?

The Description of the Rogue Combat Specialization

A swashbuckler who uses agility and guile to stand toe-to-toe with enemies.
    Seems we already have our Pirates.

Yarrrr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    The Description of the Rogue Combat Specialization

Seems we already have our Pirates.

Yarrrr.
    :'(

/10chars.... /sadface

10+ Year Old Account
    I rolled a Rogue a few ago!

Since when do combat rogues swing on ropes, fire pistols, throw bombs, etc?
    Rogues can be engineers, who make guns (and can equip them) as well as throw bombs.

What I mean is that this class is borrowing from Hunters and Rogues heavily. We don't have any use for it.
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com