Lagspikes while raiding, help!

Hi,

First let me mention that I'm a complete tard when it comes to computer stuff. I have no clue what's going on. I guess that's why I'm posting here.

-
    The problem:
    Lagspikes while raiding. I don't disconnect that often though.
    A few weeks ago, my power supply died. I couldn't get my computer on, so I got it repaired at a shop. The computer works again now, but since then I have lagspikes during raids. I don't have lagspikes in orgrimmar, arena, while questing, etc. I do have lag when it get's 'busy'. Examples: raids (magmaw hc is particularly bad), busy battlegrounds (av and isle kill me)
    Funny fact: most of the times when I lag, I keep pressing buttons (mind flay) and my char actually keeps doing the stuff even though I don't see anything for 3-10 seconds!

I never 'lag' while doing other stuff on the internet, so I doubt it's my internet connection (torrent downloads sometimes go up to 1500 kbs!)
    (I also got a new monitor, but I'm pretty sure its not the cause as I tested playing on my beamer and I had the exact same amount of lag).

-
    The things I've tried:
    * Remove dust from inside the pc as much as I could (without removing stuff from it's place).
    * Running wow without ANY addons
    * Running wow with different resolutions
    * Reinstall wow completely
    * Download new driver
    Nothing helped at all.

-
    My specs (as far as I could find out, vista is a bit of a mess and I'm a noob. Vhecked the sticky's list of stuff but I didn't understand what that all meant)

System: Vista home premium 32 bit
    Processor: intel core 2 duo CPU e8500 , 3,16 GHz 3,16 GHz
    RAM: 4,00 GB
    Videocard: Geforce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (I can gief you details from system information if needed)
    Resolution: I think 1600-900, but it changes to lower settings automatically sometimes after watching something with my beamer.

Bought the computer about 2-2,5 years ago me thinks. A friend bought the same computer at thatime as well, but he has no probs at all.

WoW settings: right now graphics are on fair, but I tried putting everything on low(couldn't even see aoe healing effects on the ground...) with as many things as possible disabled. This did not help.
    -

I hope someone can shine a light on this issue, as I am really frustrated!
    If you need to know more, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Can you hear the game continuing while the spike's going? Regardless, off the bat it sounds like a GPU issue tbf. Maybe it's underpowered.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-05-25 at 04:27 PM.

I think I can, I will double check it right now by queuing for AV :P

What's a GPU?:P
    If it's underpowered, does that mean it's probable the power supply is the cause?

10+ Year Old Account
    Graphical Processing Unit (Aka Graphics Card)
    Although strictly speaking, the GPU is the processor on the card, but loosly it means the whole card.

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 05:46 PM ----------

Is this a problem only in WoW? or does it happen in other things too?
    Have you checked that everything is firmly plugged in properly and not just slightly loose?

Ok, just tested in AV: during lagspikes I continue to hear old sounds, but I don't hear any new sounds that are generated during the lagspike.

Then it's sounding like an issue outside of your GPU. I'd warrant a guess that your processors would be the cause, but I can't really determine that much here.

However, I can recommend you go validate that you're outputting at the values you described already. Ie your processor actually putting out nearly the value it says on the tin.

Hmmm ok. Where could I check that? I have no idea hehe

Who's your ISP? Canadian? Have your tried disabling the Network Optimizations that were reintroduced with the last wow patch? (about a month ago).
    Last edited by openair; 2011-05-25 at 09:18 PM.