China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown, reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.

"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour," Liu told the Guardian. "There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [£470-570] a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off."
    more here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...et-gaming-scam
    Last edited by Kokomala; 2011-05-25 at 11:21 PM.

The inmates were upset that they had to play video games? That sounds kind of like a privilege when you are a criminal in a prison camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    The inmates were upset that they had to play video games? That sounds kind of like a privilege when you are a criminal in a prison camp.

more:

But it was the forced online gaming that was the most surreal part of his imprisonment. The hard slog may have been virtual, but the punishment for falling behind was real.

"If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things," he said.

I wish i could beat some guildies with plastic pipes...
    Last edited by Kokomala; 2011-05-25 at 11:23 PM.

Deleted
    Except for when videogames aren't your cup of tea, or if it's constant grinding because they had to earn money.

10+ Year Old Account
    The inmates were upset because they had to work long shifts digging trenches and playing a game for long hours to the point where their vision would become impaired. If they didn't make a certain quota, they would be severely beaten with plastic rods.

Still sounds like a privilege?

I bet there are people in this world who have a much harder life than having to play video games in prison.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting =/

Yet more reason not to buy gold
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaruru View Post
    The inmates were upset because they had to work long shifts digging trenches and playing a game for long hours to the point where their vision would become impaired. If they didn't make a certain quota, they would be severely beaten with plastic rods.

Still sounds like a privilege?
    Not the plastic rods part, no, I don't believe in beating prisoners, but I also don't believe in giving them access to a computer whether they want to use it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomala View Post
    I wish i could beat some guilds with plastic pipes...
    I lol'd.

That's horrible though. Greed at its worst =/
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

So this is pretty terrible. BUT... I am going to have all kinds of new fun with farmers now!!!==>

GFarmer: Hello Ebbikenezer! You want buy gold form me? Cheap is the best for sale anywhere!
    Me: Are you a prisoner?
    GFarmer: So how much are you wanting then?
    Me: Will they beat you with plastic pipes and put beetles in your anus if I don't buy your gold?
    GFarmer: We also have many BoE of the sales!!!
    Me: ... How much is your gold?
    GFarmer: One sec!
    Me: Wtf...?!!
    GFarmer: It is $49 for 20,000 gold. How much want?
    Me: If I buy half, will they just stick the beetles in your ass and skip the pipe beating?
    GFarmer: I don't understand.
    Me: Did you kill someone? Steal a car? You didn't rape people did you?
    GFarmer: Do you want buy gold?
    Me: I'll buy all your gold if you can hook me up with webcam vids of your nightly beatings.
    GFarmer: You are mean fuck sucker!
    Me: Can I bail you out and have you farm for me? I will give you twice the rice and half the beatings!
    Gfarmer is ignoring you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Very interesting read, thank you for posting it.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Normally I'd say hey, it's a prison, they're there for a reason.
    But knowing it's China we're talking about it could be political activists for all we know...

Aha, "who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown"

Sucks to be him.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Land of Transvestite Robot Skeletons AKA Wales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    I will give you twice the rice and half the beatings!
    Laughed so hard my dog started barking at me, sigged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    I will give you twice the rice and half the beatings!
    Set a course for intercourse!

I would have whispered for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnn View Post
    I started playing the game when I was 11 during BC. I actually discovered jacking off and came for the first time during a Gruul's Lair raid with my guild!

Quote Originally Posted by Sathanis View Post
    I would have whispered for help!
    Honestly, if some gold seller whispered you claiming they were in prison and to send help, would you believe them and contact the UN or something?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

i dont know if i believe this crap.
    the guardian prints a lot of trash.

british media...

1) where all computers came from? chinese prison with 300 comps and broadband capable of playing WoW?
    the sun rises in the west now ?

2) why did the prisoner not reach out to the outside world when he was given a freakin computer?
    he scared ?

then

why he talking now? It still china. If they find out he talked, they can pick him up and beat the shit out of him in 2 seconds.
    Last edited by ted23; 2011-05-25 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Honestly, if some gold seller whispered you claiming they were in prison and to send help, would you believe them and contact the UN or something?
    If a gold seller told me they were in prison I would instantly submit a ticket to Blizzard and they will take the proper legal actions. I'm pretty sure Blizzard takes IRL situation seriously. If you reported that someone on the game said they're going to commit suicide its Blizzard's obligation (and I think its in their own ToS or whatever) to contact the proper authorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by ted23 View Post
    i dont know if i believe this crap.
    the guardian prints a lot of trash.

british media...

1) where all computers came from? chinese prison with 300 comps and broadband capable of playing WoW?
    the sun rises in the west now ?

2) why did the prisoner not reach out to the outside world when he was given a freakin computer?
    he scared ?

then

why he talking now? It still china. If they find out he talked, they can pick him up and beat the shit out of him in 2 seconds.
    Idk, maybe he didn't contact the outside world because they either had somebody over their shoulder, or because they were monitored in some way? That would be a good reason not to I would say....
    If they were doing something illegal like that, they probably took measures to make sure they weren't caught...
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    If a gold seller told me they were in prison I would instantly submit a ticket to Blizzard and they will take the proper legal actions. I'm pretty sure Blizzard takes IRL situation seriously. If you reported that someone on the game said they're going to commit suicide its Blizzard's obligation (and I think its in their own ToS or whatever) to contact the proper authorities.
    I know that they will contact the authorities if something like a suicide threat is reported, but I thought they use your account information to actually know where to contact the authorities and where to send them. I am not sure there would honestly be much Blizzard could do in terms of a chinese prison, especially since they would generally be using hacked accounts and so there would be no way of knowing where they were, exactly.

edit: And as mentioned above, I can't imagine the prison guards would be too pleased if they found you doing this considering they apparently beat them for missing a quota.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-05-25 at 11:52 PM.