Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Gah. If you use more energy than you put in you will lose weight. Very simple. You don't have to eat so much a day. The quickest way to get thin is not to eat, it's just most the people who can't handle not eating like to tell everyone else that they need to eat in order to properly lose weight. You will find that most of these people are overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I counted calories and worked out every day (30 minutes of cardio), worked for me until now, but, thats only because my body got used to what I was doing.

Sadly, thats not the case, you need to eat ENOUGH and work out, not exactly 'less', eating very little and working your butt off every day and you can actually gain weight from that.

@ Melesaria

Generally, one goes to the gym for 3 hours per day to workout and achieve a body similar to this:

Losing weight is also objective, building muscle and becoming bigger however is the main objective I believe. For most people at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    The first phase is correct if you just want to lose fat, yes that is true. But the other parts of it work to help you gain more muscle and become more fit. You eat a lot of complex calories to burn a lot, and you can only burn a lot if you physically capable to do it which is why the last phase comes towards the end.
    I've done P90X. More than once. I stopped doing it after about half a year of going every day and strong. Yes, phase 1 promotes fat loss. That's because you're not eating sugars. If, instead of raising your intake of carbs, you up your amount of fat you eat, you can easily maintain weight (even at ~5-6% body fat). Your body has to work harder to burn fat, so you really don't have to increase your calories much, just fat intake, to maintain weight and still lose fat (if you can afford it, of course).

Eating things like Phase 3 do a lot of bad things for your body. There's plenty of resources out there to prove such things. It puts so much stress on your pancreas because of the mass amount of insulin it has to excrete due to leveling out sugar levels. Fat doesn't do that. If you don't use all that sugar via glycolysis to create ATP, it gets pushed straight into fat storage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Start by losing the thing you use to measure your weight xD dunno how it's called in english.

- Don't think about losing weight - think about losing fat.
    You might even end up gaining some weight in the process of becoming fit.

- Don't exercise only when you feel like - get a routine, repeat, be diligent and disciplined.
    - Easy repetitive exercises, not heavy ones.
    - Walking fast (power walking) is about as effective as jogging, and less damaging.
    - Don't skip the routine.

- Eat complete meals, with vegetables, etc
    - Avoid red meat, focus on white meat
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2011-05-26 at 12:02 AM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

The first phase is correct if you just want to lose fat, yes that is true. But the other parts of it work to help you gain more muscle and become more fit. You eat a lot of complex calories to burn a lot, and you can only burn a lot if you physically capable to do it which is why the last phase comes towards the end.

If it didnt push you then that's not the exercises fault i believe that's your fault for not modifying the exercises to push yourself to your limit. That's something tony stresses a lot, you're not there to match the demonstrators, you're there to push you're self to your limit and "Bring it"
    The exercises are basic at best which isn't somethign horrible but the entire thing is based around the idea of shedding fat. They try to sell a home gym style but unless you're willing to shell out the money for the various weights you'd need to progress it's not too useful. That being said in the 90 days i spent on that, i increased my strength probably 3 times as much using the gym. I'd suggest the gym over p90x anyday for those really wanting to gain strength, and not burn fat.

Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    Gah. If you use more energy than you put in you will lose weight. Very simple. You don't have to eat so much a day. The quickest way to get thin is not to eat, it's just most the people who can't handle not eating like to tell everyone else that they need to eat in order to properly lose weight. You will find that most of these people are overweight.
    Are you seriously suggesting that she starves herself? O_o

Deleted
    I was in a similiar position to you, prior to me turning 16 i was really fit, played in all sports teams etc. When i turned 16, started playing wow i gained weight. Not too much, I wasnt exactly fat, but I was no where near as healthy as I was. Now im 19 and for the last year I have been working on my fitness and I am at quite a high level now.

The key to it really is excercise and eating the right food. I eat, generally, whatever I want when I want. But just cut out the crap. Eat plenty of fruit, meat all the natural stuff and ignore chocolates and crisps. Try to get to the gym at least 3 times a week and stay there for at least an hour. A good thing to do whilst at the gym is recording your progress. For example I saw you use the eplicital machine, however u spell it, lets call it the cross trainer! Say you go on for 30 mins each time, record your distance and try and beat it the next day vice versa. Also don't just stick to the cross trainer try rowing, going on a bike, swimming, mixing it up and applying that variety keeps you interested and you are more likely to stick at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I've done P90X. More than once. I stopped doing it after about half a year of going every day and strong. Yes, phase 1 promotes fat loss. That's because you're not eating sugars. If, instead of raising your intake of carbs, you up your amount of fat you eat, you can easily maintain weight (even at ~5-6% body fat). Your body has to work harder to burn fat, so you really don't have to increase your calories much, just fat intake, to maintain weight and still lose fat (if you can afford it, of course).

Eating things like Phase 3 do a lot of bad things for your body. There's plenty of resources out there to prove such things. It puts so much stress on your pancreas because of the mass amount of insulin it has to excrete due to leveling out sugar levels. Fat doesn't do that. If you don't use all that sugar via glycolysis to create ATP, it gets pushed straight into fat storage.
    So are you recommending i just stick to the phase one meal plan next time i do P90X?
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqera View Post
    Run fast and hard.
    Go to the gym for hours, not 15 minutes.
    Eat the right food.

That's honestly all that is required. I find it funny how people can say they are not able to lose weight. It's just common sense
    actually i agree wit everything except the running part, dont do long runs sprint as hard as you can for 1 minute followed by 2min of walking and just keep repeating, do this for like 20min a day muscle confusion

The only advice I can offer you is this: Don't focus on a number, and how to lose it or how to reach it.
    Find something you enjoy doing. Play a sport. Go for runs with your Ipod blaring and lose yourself in your thoughts. Find a martial art you enjoy and dive in.

I've always found if you just aim to lose weight, you might lose it, but you'll put it back on soon enough.
    But if you find something you enjoy, something active, you'll lose weight, get fit and never look back. Because at that point, it's not about losing weight, its about gaining fitness and being better at something you enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    I know a great exercise regiment that would get you into shape
    If you are thinking of sex you are mistaken. It's a myth. Sex does not help you get into shape. It's quite a bad method of exercise tbh, regardless of the positions you are doing. Sad but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknourishh View Post
    actually i agree wit everything except the running part, dont do long runs sprint as hard as you can for 1 minute followed by 2min of walking and just keep repeating, do this for like 20min a day muscle confusion
    You are right, but also wrong :P
    I say "run hard and fast". Most people can only do that for 1 minute anyway, then they will begin jogging again. That's what I was aiming for in my "run fast and hard"
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2011-05-26 at 12:10 AM.

Ha, I was actually gonna make a post aimed at how fat I became from wow and how over the past year I managed to actually lose weight again because of wow. I started off doing a routine while in wow. Whenever I would wipe in a raid I would get down and do pushups, situps and bicep curls. I started out pretty simple, focusing on only doing 10 Pushups per wipe. Early on while doing progression, I got tired fast lol, but as we got better, I got better, and started upping the pushups between wipes 10-15-20. Eventually I was able to move up and start doing diamond pushups, incline pushups. Each night I would switch out to a new exercise, Raid night 1 was pushups, second night was situps, leg raises, or basically anything I could do to strengthen my abs. Third night I would use dumbbells and do curls, shoulder raises. I was amazed at how after about a month went by and I felt so much better. I started swapping out water for soda, oranges and apples for cookies and chips. But now that Im not raiding as much I need to start coming up with a better way to exercise during downtime in wow. I like to do stuff while waiting for a random BG/Dungeon Que, when raids are forming, flight paths

Reduce your calorie intake to around 2,000 or what is preferred for your size etc.

Eat 6 small meals throughout the day instead of 3 big ones.

Get a dumbbell set and do workouts at least every other day for an hour or two.

All of the above will stimulate and increase your metabolism allowing you to lose weight.
    Monath

YARG

US-Rexxar

http://www.yarg-rexxar.com/

So are you recommending i just stick to the phase one meal plan next time i do P90X?
    Yes, essentially. But rather than be on Level 1 (or whatever you're at), you could go to Level 2 if you're comfortable. Add just a little more fat to it. It tells you to eat a lot of fish in there, right? That's because it contains omega 3 -- a healthy fat.

If you look at some of the fine print in the nutrition guide, you can see that they didn't use a licensed dietitian (or was it nutritionist? I'll double check that later).

There's plenty of information on the net why grains/wheats/etc. are bad for you. Check out some of the science behind a Paleo Diet (essentially the Phase 1 diet, slightly altered).

I was a Kinesiology major in college. Once I started working as a trainer, I met my fair share of people in the field dealing with nutrition that opened my eyes. There's a reason I'll never openly tell my clients what to eat. Frankly the science changes all the time. Hell, in America I think the view on the health benefits of eggs has changed half a dozen times?

This is one thing I'll stick with, though. If my native ancestors lived happy/healthy lives just eating meats/veggies/fruits/nuts... I think it'll work just fine for me.

If you drink 3 cups of water a day, drink 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewelder View Post
    I like how people make losing weight sound harder than it really is. It's really simple, but just takes time.

Cut out sugary crap.
    Drink lots of water.
    Eat healthy and at a calorie deficit until you reach your goal. (Make sure you get enough protein!)
    Exercise 3-5 times a week (Cardio and weightlifting) 45mins to an hour. 15 mins isn't going to cut it.

It's all about eating right...exercising just helps speed up the progress and of course, it makes you healthier.

I lost 48 pounds (188 > 140) in 3 and half months last year. First half of 2 months, I exercised 5 days a week, but now I just exercise 2-3 days a week.
    This guy is correct.

Of course not, just an option. The less you're taking in and the more you use, the faster the weight comes off. It you're using alot you have to take in enough so that you're not feinting mid exercise. Just because your body tells you you're hungry doesn't mean you have to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that she starves herself? O_o

Do not get a weight set. All this will do is increase your muscle mass (Which I doubt you want to do as female and muscle is heavier then fat). Weights can tone you yes. But they will not burn calories in an effective way.

Quote Originally Posted by warpath2k View Post
    Do not get a weight set. All this will do is increase your muscle mass (Which I doubt you want to do as female and muscle is heavier then fat). Weights can tone you yes. But they will not burn calories in an effective way.
    False.

Women don't have the proper (read: natural) chemicals in their body to bulk. All the lifting they do will just promote strength and lean muscle. You need muscle to raise your metabolism to properly lose the fat you want to go away. A mixture of both cardio and a weight regiment is the best thing you can do (for either sex).

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    False.

Women don't have the proper (read: natural) chemicals in their body to bulk. All the lifting they do will just promote strength and lean muscle. You need muscle to raise your metabolism to properly lose the fat you want to go away. A mixture of both cardio and a weight regiment is the best thing you can do (for either sex).
    False. 3 years at A level and Uni I think I am aware of a correct way to lose calories and weights is not optimal by far.