Power Supply Question

Will the seasonic X750 Gold 750W. newegg com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087 Be good enough for asus p8p67 deluxe, 2500k, Gtx 570? Also while Im only ordering the one 570 this weekend I'm likely to be ordering a 2nd in 3-4 months. Will the 750 be sufficient or should I move up to the seasonic x850?

Thanks

Deleted
    Be on the safe side and get the x850 mate.

Quote Originally Posted by coldstrife View Post
    Be on the safe side and get the x850 mate.
    Lol... You are kidding, right ? The X750 has 62A on the 12V rail.
    SLI 570s and i5-2500k should use about 550W alone on default and the X750 has 744W, leaving about 200W for the rest of the system.
    He needs X850 only if he is going with heavy overclocking. Otherwise X750.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-26 at 12:24 AM.

Hax is right, the X750 will provide plenty of power. You can run a GTX580 on it as well.

Deleted
    Thank Hax, people are deluded into thinking systems need more power than they need.

As said, 750 is loads for that system.

Even if we add the 2x 570's TDP's and the i5-2500k's TDP we get numbers below 550W. Most likely even below 500W during regular gaming since it's SLI. Which means about 600W for a typical 570 SLI system under load. Unless he has 10-15 hard drives it's fine.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-26 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks for the help all!

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Even if we add the 2x 570's TDP's and the i5-2500k's TDP we get numbers below 550W. Most likely even below 500W during regular gaming since it's SLI. Which means about 600W for a typical 570 SLI system under load. Unless he has 10-15 hard drives it's fine.
    I doubt it would even break 500 during normal gaming. Unless you're running both cards full tilt, which I don't think there are any games that can do that right now, you won't be getting anywhere near that number. I would probably say around 350~ during normal game usage. Now if you had heavily OC'ed both cards and the CPU and decided to bench it constantly I would say you would probably start to push some higher numbers, but I doubt you'd hit 700.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It's not unfair for people to do so though. The problem is that we've been through years of power requirements rising consistently year on year. It's only in the past few years that engineers have been looking at this trend and realising just where we'd be in a few years if changes weren't made. It's only in recent references that we've seen power consumption actually stabilise rather than rise massively, at least for the performance you get out of individual components.
    Performance per watt always increases with new tech. I mean that 200W GPU now is much more powerful than a 200W GPU from 3 years ago. The problem is that people want double the performance and lower wattage. It doesn't work this way. For example GTX 275 and GTX 570 have exactly the same TDP but the 570 is about 60% faster.
    Edit:...
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-26 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Fixing things

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Thank Hax, people are deluded into thinking systems need more power than they need.
    God I am so sick of this!

I work as an electrical engineer, so I obviously know about power, how to work it out, how much is required, all that shit.

I see people on forums, like overclock net.

"Hey guys I'm building this rig, how much power do I need? Thinking about this 650w corsair PSU." (rig requires a steady 500w or something)

"Hey dude, 650w is cutting it fine, better get the 1000w one and be safe, then you can upgrade and stuff" (yeah, upgrade and get an additional 20 fans and 10 HDDs)

"Ok thanks man I just ordered it, a little out of my budget but thanks"

/facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Coldrage View Post
    God I am so sick of this!

I work as an electrical engineer, so I obviously know about power, how to work it out, how much is required, all that shit.

I see people on forums, like overclock net.

"Hey guys I'm building this rig, how much power do I need? Thinking about this 650w corsair PSU." (rig requires a steady 500w or something)

"Hey dude, 650w is cutting it fine, better get the 1000w one and be safe, then you can upgrade and stuff" (yeah, upgrade and get an additional 20 fans and 10 HDDs)

"Ok thanks man I just ordered it, a little out of my budget but thanks"

/facepalm
    That happens because the people that get screwed by such advice later go on the forums and give the same advice to others. They feel better about themselves this way. Then someone with similar configuration reads the thread with the 1000W PSU recommendation and decides to "future proof" it by getting a 1200W PSU for a 400W configuration...
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-26 at 02:24 AM.