Hunter Tips For Sinestra

I was wondering if any hunters here that have killed sinestra or that are working on it can give any tips on the fight from our POV, Any Special Spec needed for this, to either make it easyer or do more damage? Any Reason to Reforce for different stats seeing as how there is a 3 min Haste buff? What should you mainly shoot while having the haste buff? Any usefull macros would be awesome as well.

Without having killed her with my Hunter alt, the P3 haste buff alone screams MM and AiS spam.
    Granted your raid has enough AE to handle the adds. But with the MS buff, that should work as MM as well.

MM is what I use for Sinestra, although there are decent parses from survival hunters. She does have a hitbox that will deadzone you, but it's not terribly huge. Pop cd's at the very beginning, don't screw up on orbs, and spam aimed during p3. Killing the eggs in one round during p2 makes the transition into p3 much easier, but it can be done with another carapace round.

Deleted
    If you a not aoeing the adds then spec MM
    If you a aoeing the adds spec SV

MM/SV: Reforg all you haste into Crit > Mastery you well not be in need off alot off haste because, p1 you use all your cds to make sure that it gets down fast and in p3 you have the haste buff,

Spam Aimed Shot during P1 and p3
    make sure that you get your pet on the eggs in p2
    Disengage is alot off help to get away from the orbs

thats really all i can think off

.eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twilights-hammer/cavo/advanced

>Sinestra Tips
    You want to be getting off as many Aimed Shots as possible, esp at the beginning of P3. Before the egg gets weakened you want have full focus and a sting already on it then blow it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendixs View Post
    MM/SV: Reforg all you haste into Crit > Mastery
    Spam Aimed Shot during P1 and p3
    I wouldn't reforge into any mastery if your going to be aimed shot spamming.
    Last edited by .Aen; 2011-05-26 at 01:37 PM.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

Allright, here we go.
    The fight is extremely easy for you as a hunter compared to most other fights. You DO NOT have to spec surv (I'd actually recommend against it) to aoe the whelps. I repeat, you DO NOT have to spec surv. MM's aoe is only slightly less potent than survs, and even then, I can kill off a pack of whelps MYSELF as MM before the next wave spawns, due to the focus regen from 100% making you able to pump almost unlimited multi shots (critting upwards of 13-15k).
    The dps you lose singletarget from going surv is way too much compared to the slight aoe edge you gain on the whelps, especially as you won't be alone about killing them.

As for tips:
    Kite the balls in a loop with the other kiter - remember to strafe so you can aspect of the fox and keep shooting.
    If youre killing spitecallers in the back: Put down explosive trap before the add arrives.
    If youre killing eggs: Load up an aimed shot to go off 0.1 second after the carapace is removed (boss mod's will show when). Get an instant 60K crit on it.
    And thats... About it. You can use your deterrence to block sinestras flame breath, so if youre low and get owned by one without deterrence on CD, thats you being bad. But apart from that, simple fight with extremely simple mechanics for you as a hunter.

Oh yea, and reforges -
    It really doesn't matter. If you WANT the optimal, you should most likely go crit>haste>mastery after capping hit, just like normal, actually. Why? Because during P3 youre spamming aimed shots, which means no auto attacks, resulting in way less wild quiver procs, making mastery significantly less worth. On the other hand, the haste is gonna help when the buff dissappears in the last 20%, in P1, and in P2.

(Note that as his guild raids 25 man, I've gone by my own experiences in 25. Cavo, as youre raiding 10, the encounter very well may want different things done to optimise. For example, MM is alot less worth without 10% haste, even on sinestra).

My opinion differs a on a couple points made here. As MM, I reforge mastery over haste for Sinestra (25), mainly because the p3 buff greatly devalues stacking haste imo. Also, as MM multi-shot will proc wild quiver mastery for aoe on whelps in p3. Marks hunters can aoe quite well in p3 with the buff and bombardment talented.

Quote Originally Posted by rasmil View Post
    My opinion differs a on a couple points made here. As MM, I reforge mastery over haste for Sinestra (25), mainly because the p3 buff greatly devalues stacking haste imo. Also, as MM multi-shot will proc wild quiver mastery for aoe on whelps in p3. Marks hunters can aoe quite well in p3 with the buff and bombardment talented.
    On the other hand, losing 5% haste in order to gain 5% more chance to land an auto shot when you dmg something will ONLY be beneficial when youre aoeing the whelps. And it's not gonna be a big difference, either. Haste, however, will still have a value untill you get aimed shot to below 1sec cast time, which you'd still need about 3K haste from gear to get <.<.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    On the other hand, losing 5% haste in order to gain 5% more chance to land an auto shot when you dmg something will ONLY be beneficial when youre aoeing the whelps. And it's not gonna be a big difference, either. Haste, however, will still have a value untill you get aimed shot to below 1sec cast time, which you'd still need about 3K haste from gear to get <.<.
    The 5% analogy isn't exactly mathematically correct, and you are still pumping steadies and chimera into Sinestra during p3. Most other fights I absolutely want to stack haste over mastery. Either way, I think the difference between whichever you reforge will not be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by rasmil View Post
    The 5% analogy isn't exactly mathematically correct, and you are still pumping steadies and chimera into Sinestra during p3. Most other fights I absolutely want to stack haste over mastery. Either way, I think the difference between whichever you reforge will not be huge.
    Obviously it's not, but I really cba going into greater math than that here =p. Youre also gonna be pumping Aimeds though, which cancels auto shots - and with the focus regen from that fight, I doubt you're gonna get alot of auto shots through, as you can almost always be casting an aimed. I do agree though, that reforging wont make or break anything.

Just wanted to jump in and offer my two cents - while I personally don't play a hunter, one of our hunters has participated in our Sinestra kills as both MM and Surv. Our most recent kill he was survival and pulled close to 2k more dps than he did while he was MM, I'd also like to note our kill was sloppy and too over 1 min longer than a previous week so that should go into the factor a little bit as well (probably could have a higher overall dps at the end if the kills were equal). Given, our other hunters have run as MM for both fights and have placed around the same damage when they all run as MM but when the one ran as Surv he put up about .5% more overall damage - I'd argue that spec doesn't matter so much as your level of comfort and efficiency with each spec.
    Asrel - Shadow Priest <Last Attempt> US-Whisperwind
    Aretoo - Havoc DH <Last Attempt> US-Whisperwind

Depending if I have to kill the adds or not, I basically do the same exact thing every time. I have been marksmanship each time.

1. We feign reset her so we can get into position. So I prepot like right as she puts her hands on the ground, it's like 1 second before the raid starts.

2. Pop rapid fire in the beginning back to back.

3. When Sinestra hits 30% the next phase starts, what i usually do is misdirect the adds to the whelp tank with ONE multishot, and then do 2 and only 2 steady shots to get my focus back to 100.

The reason is, the add tank needs to bring the whelps back into position in the back so nobody attacks them really, but you need 100% because when EVERYONE is aoeing them you wont have much time to get your focus up if its not already max.

4. I dump like 4-5 multishots into that AOE, then I position myself in the area of the red bubble closest to the egg I have to dps. At that point I make a judgement call on my focus. When the whelps respawn out of the pool, if I have to do 2 quick steadies, I do. If not, I just throw 3 multis into the whelps, then disengage quickly towards the egg.

5. While running towards my egg, I immediately put my pet and a hunter's mark on the egg. Then I dps Sinestra. If I'm damaging Sinestra for a while and gain an instant Aimed Shot, I'll try and hold off. If I get the instant Aimed Shot early, I just fire it into Sinestra.

6. Omelette Time!: When Omelette Time! comes with a 4 second countdown. If I have an instant cast Aimed Shot, I turn on it at 2 seconds, put on a serpent sting and fire the aimed shot then a chimera shot. It is possible to cast another aimed shot, but the difference will be minimal.

If you do not have an instant cast Aimed Shot, I turn on the egg right away, serpent sting it and start casting an Aimed Shot at 2 seconds so it lands immediately, then do rotation.

7. Right as the egg is dying, I disengage away and put on Aspect of the Fox and start dpsing the Drake that is out at that point as I make my way towards the area of the "Line" that I'm supposed to be in. Your guild may have you dps the spitecaller with the melee, but either way this maneuver is basically the same.

8a. On Sinestra: A little after that the Essence of the Red buff will shower down. Although this makes your attack speed stupid high, I still use Rapid Fire here as it should have just come up again. Reason being, if you use it here you will assuredly get it back up again towards the end when the buff wears off, plus the increased focus regen here isn't bad even if the haste you are provided is pointless. I'll do rapid fire back to back. Tons of Aimed Shots going off here. This is also when I would use my second potion.

8b. On Whelps: If I'm on the whelps. The first adds we sometimes have 2 shadow priests and 2 hunters on them, so we just go back and damage them, then when they spawn from the pools we damage them again, there is another strategy for the whelps, but we don't use it so I can't speak on it. It involves single targeting though. I do NOT use Rapid Fire on the first set of whelps. I do use rapid fire on the second and fourth set since they tend to be larger groups, my DPS shoots way up when I can drill more multishots into larger whelp groups.

Your add tank will need to learn when to call for dps off and on because getting overzealous and killing whelps on the "line" is pretty terrible and wipe inducing. Generally I go pretty gently or just attack Sinestra for a second when he says stop aoe, the moment they are beyond the line I usually ramp it up to maximum because by the time he gets to the back you want them a little lower than full health.

9a. If you were on Sinestra, most likely by the time your guild is ready to kill the boss they will use Bloodlust/Heroism the moment Essence of the Red falls off. Once again, if Rapid Fire is coming back up you should just use it anyway because odds are pretty fair the boss will die during the Bloodlust/Heroism so there's no more optimal way to use it, and the focus regen is nice. The only thing I had forgot to mention is. When you FIRST get into the Essence of the Red phase, your 5 minute Call of the Wild cooldown wont be up, but it WILL come up during Essence of the Red. Although because I don't have rapid fire up at the time. I hold off on it till the Bloodlust phase and pop rapid fire again with Call of the Wild, it's usually during the execute phase so it's a good time.

9b. If you're on whelp duty you're just shit out of luck for the most part. Your rapid fire cooldowns were managed for the sake of keeping the whelps clean. That IS very important since whelps are sort of an "avalanche" type of problem. If one pack gets a little out of hand, that will probably result in the tank dying later as it snowballs... so by the time your whelp tank is prepared to offtank all the adds while you dps Sinestra, you won't have optimal cooldowns more than likely... but you'll have contributed to a kill and the legs can drop multiple times in the same kill and you'll almost assuredly have them the first kill so enjoy.

Twilight Slicer:
    That's pretty exact on what I do for the fight... of course the Twilight Slicer mechanic is thrown in there, but if you have to deal with Twilight Slicer. My method is this. If an orb spawns near to me where it could potentially target me. I move a few steps off the line towards the middle, if the slicer beam hits me, I keep moving and do the dance. If it's on someone else it's one of three things. One, if they are farther forward in the line from me, I simply run back to the line. If they are farther behind me in the line. I immediately disengage to the other side of the orb before the beam casts. It's pretty close so you have to be paying close attention not to fuck up that move... or three, if the orb is basically paralell with you, but the beam isn't connected to you. I take the less-dps safer route and move AWAY from Sinestra towards the back of the room breifly and run around the orb and beam.

Main reason being... dying to the beam or taking additional damage from the orb is just gonna get you yelled at and you can't beat the mages on the meter anyway, so don't sweat it. Just live.

Never done it as SV, but there's no reason to spec SV unless your whelps aren't dying fast enough. I did it as both BM and MM. BM since we were short on ranged dps and egg on our side wasn't dying fast enough. TBW and CotW are both up at this point, so that's a lot of burst damage. Also, TBW for whelps with p3 buff or Rapid Fire does more damage than as MM.

People have already explained MM, but one tip when you start on the egg. Be at full focus at 5 sec before egg becomes vulnerable, put up a sting on it, switch your pet to it, cast a steady to get back to full focus, throw an explosive trap on it and start Aimed a second or so before, so that you can start with all your dots and double Aimed. If egg dps is an issue, save your Rapid Fire and CotW for it. Disengage is amazing on this fight, especially at phase transitions and for cutters. Deterrence also helps a lot if needed.

If you do put your pet on the egg, keep it on passive otherwise it will run behind Sinestra and stand in lava and you won't be able to bring it back or Mend Pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way we did it..
    Pre pot>heroism>serpent>chimera every cd>aimed shot as focus dump. Then rapid fire and readiness after heroism is ended, you might want to keep the second rapid fire for burning the egg though if your dps is a little low.
    Aoe the adds and get to your egg asap and mark it and send pet on it a little before the timer pops up. When you get the haste buff is a pure aimed shot spam from 100-80%, i suggest using your second potion here. Cotw will also come off cd with the haste buff so use it as soon as its up unless you died and lost the buff.
    80-0%: Chimera every cd and aimed shot as focus dump until the haste buff runs out.
    Rambled on with basics but hope it helps.

Would you recomend a different glyph than Arcane shot since it seems we dont do much of it here?

On Sinestra, the Aimed Shot glyph isn't going to do as much more than likely, but at the same time - the Aimed Shot glyph's extra 5 focus will be rarely, and maybe never noticeable during the time when you aimed shot the most. In the beginning she starts below 80% anyway and so I arcane shot during the first phase anyway and therefore leave arcane shot glyph on... but it's fairly possible you could do more dps with another glyph... maybe.

Sinestra is super easy for a hunter. Glyph Steady, Aimed, and either rapid fire or kill shot for your third glyph. Depending on when essence of the raid is dropping, Kill shot may prove to be very very helpful for more execute dps (which is what really makes or breaks the fight getting through the last little bit without the buff). For whelps we had no problem killing them, and I think MM would be better in lots of ways. The whelps go down extremely fast, if your raid is in a good position to switch to them, about 6 gcds for us. Our strat was get two groups of whelps (10 altogether), nuke them with every single range dps to form a big puddle then our tank charged sinestra, the adds keep threat and dots when they respawn, they zoom to him and don't leave pools when they die the second time, the second time they need to die quickly but they have all the dots up, and melee cleaves (howling blast) as well so that they basically fall over. For Sinestra dps your regen is through the roof. Keep up an improved steady shot and use Chimera on CD outside of Careful aim. Other than that hit aimed shot a whole, whole, lot. We had six ranged on each egg and two rogues with a gouge rotation on spitecallers. With 6 ranged on each egg breaking the egg in one phase was a joke and we only got one drake for the transition.

For hunter specific stuff they're isn't much. Make sure your in a good position for whelp aoe. You can disengage over cutters but you shouldn't put yourself in a position to need to do that. I dismissed my pet and called another while waiting for the shield to come up so that i'd have another call of the wild for the careful aim phase to start p3. Pre pot on the pull and use your second at the start of p3 in careful aim range. You want to maximize your dps to get sinestra as low as possible while you have Essence of the Red. You don't want to save cds to use once the buff drops. For a first kill you'll probably have around 20% left to burn without essence of the red which is why i suggest Kill shot glyph to help get you through that execute period.

Gota say i rather enjoyed survival on this fight, and it was not lacking at all.