Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Personally, I did the couch to 5k plan as posted above. Helped with my endurance alot. I remember the week that had the 3 minute jogs I was dying, now Im running upwards of 4-5 miles no prob a few months later.

I've got some family doing the C25K with a lot of success right now. If you're trying to ease into it, that's a very good way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    I've always been a bit out of shape, I'm 6'4" 220, so not overly chubby.

I'm starting to get into running in order to work off the gut and get generally healthy, but it is slightly depressing just how out of shape I am. On the treadmill I run 1/4a mile then walk 3/4, repeating. Mostly because my heart rate goes up to 190, a bit high, I let it settle, then run till it's back up.

Is this a good way to get into it? Or should I just suck it up and run for a lot more of it?
    If your goal is to lose the gut and get in shape. Using your treadmill I would first set the incline to the highest possible for your machine (should be probably 10) Then I would walk at a comfortable pace that sets your heart to about 65-70% of your max (make sure this is a pace you can maintain for up to an hour). Walk for about 45 minutes to an hour and do that every single day, no breaks, ever until you reach your goal. The reason I say no breaks is to form a habit, most people in your shoes start exercising, take one of their planned break days and never go back. If you don't have any break days, it's easier to keep at it (and gets you faster results to boot) Once your body is used to aerobic exercise you can start moving to jogging instead of walking (and will in fact have to in order to maintain the same heart rate)

Combine this with healthy eating habits and you will be in shape in just a few months.

It's very important to keep motivated. About a month ago I tried going to the gym to workout, after three days, I got bored with it because I did't have any fun. I'm not a personal trainer or nutritionalist, but staying motivated and sticking with it seems more important than working your butt off for a week then stopping. You don't have to run, you could try cycling (my favorite), swimming, hell, even dancing if that's what you like. Just remember to do something you like so you don't feel disappointed when you don't see overnight results.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyskato View Post
    A "bit high?" That's almost a dangerous level, especially to someone untrained.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Do that ^ (imo)
    Yeah, I am trying that it is okay.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Just remember not to push yourself too hard and have good shoes for running. Shin splits really suck quite horribly and to someone who is new to running it is not hard to get them. If you push yourself too hard before your muscles are ready you can cause yourself quite a bit of pain. Having good running shoes will help alleviate this as well. This is mostly true if you're running on concrete, whether it's a park trail or sidewalk. You need good padding in between your bones and the hard pavement.