Thread: BoD Clipping

BoD Clipping

I know it's a bad idea to clip BoD at any time other than at the "safe" interval, but would it be a DPS gain to re-apply the spell at an earlier 15sec mark if it's buffed by Lightweave, Power Torrent, etc.?

Probably not, you have to remember that the global spent reapplying BoD so that those ticks gain a little bit of spell power is time you can't spend casting something else that would have also benefited from the extra spell power.

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it.

Is there a way to model buff stacking behaviour in SimCraft? There's a similar post on EJ regarding DoT clipping and some mention was made about the difficulty (maybe impossibility) of creating a set of casting rules that take all the necessary elements into consideration before telling the sim to clip a DoT.

Perhaps somebody here has manage to come up with an ingenious way to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurydemus View Post
    Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it.

Is there a way to model buff stacking behaviour in SimCraft? There's a similar post on EJ regarding DoT clipping and some mention was made about the difficulty (maybe impossibility) of creating a set of casting rules that take all the necessary elements into consideration before telling the sim to clip a DoT.

Perhaps somebody here has manage to come up with an ingenious way to do it?
    Well, you can edit the priority list in SimCraft quite easily, but the priority list you speak of would be numerous times more complicated than the standard one. It's probably not impossible, although considering how minor the dps gain would be (If any is possible at all), and how much time you would need to invest to calculate it, and how hard it would be to actually execute in a fight, it just doesn't really seem worth the time.

Before you even start worrying about that, the first part of the process would have to be to calculate if it's actually possible to achieve gear that makes this early clipping worthwhile. Is there an achievable set of gear that makes BoD do enough extra damage to make it worthwhile losing a gcd? I don't know if there is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I clip bane on doom on heroic nef but that's about it and I try to keep it at a lower priority in my rotation at the start of the fghht so I can wait for procs before the 1st application.

Made by dubbelbasse

Essentially the amount of times that this would happen throughout an encounter would be very low (probably twice max) and the amount of paying attention to these things takes away your ability to pay attention to the more complicated fights; especially on hard modes. The miniscule amount of damage gained is not worth the effort unless you are an extremely good player at this game and you are very good at managing to look at tons of information and being able to make nearly instant decisions.

This is all well and good for simulations, but in the real world it's just impossible for the average person to be able to do. This is why it wasn't simulated.

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    I clip bane on doom on heroic nef but that's about it and I try to keep it at a lower priority in my rotation at the start of the fghht so I can wait for procs before the 1st application.
    I do this too. As demo, I "try" to wait for a proc of some sort at the start of a fight, cast Demon soul, then BoD. After that, demon soul used on CD will line up with every other BoD.

edit: using Felhunter demon soul, obv.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meejum View Post
    I do this too. As demo, I "try" to wait for a proc of some sort at the start of a fight, cast Demon soul, then BoD. After that, demon soul used on CD will line up with every other BoD.

edit: using Felhunter demon soul, obv.
    I always reapply on heroic nef when I gain dominion, otherwise I let it go to its full duration as I don't like clipping and missing a lot of damage. I get 120k hits when I gain dominon, so it's worth the clip.