Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do we need a Warcraft 4 to expand lore?

It feels like the Warcraft universe has hit this point, where things haven't really progressed compared to the past. WoW has just kind of frozen the universe, so players have a chance to see everything bit by bit.

Do you think we need a Warcraft 4 to create more story lines and bring new characters/worlds to the universe? Or can WoW handle all of that?

Personally, I can see Warcraft 4 being an ark to carry the universe further, and somehow bring WoW with it. All the Warcraft games had huge stories, and brought so much into the universe, I think we need that again.

world of warcraft has all of that. you just gotta stop fapping at your purples for two minutes and read the quest log.
    Last edited by fews; 2011-05-27 at 10:07 AM.

Sadly, it can't happen because of lore...

Warcraft 3 added lore by revealing a second continent, with night elves and tauren living on that continent. Plus the creation of the undead to add the forsaken. They can't really added 3-4 new races, unless they also destroy 3-4 races to make room. The lore seems "filled" at this point.

It would be easier for Warcraft 4 to reboot the Warcraft universe and start all over. Warcraft 4 could just be about orcs vs humans again, and then Warcraft 5 and 6 could do the slow reveal of the other races.
    Last edited by Purple Glow; 2011-05-27 at 10:47 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets pretend Warcraft IV takes 500 years into the game yes? A new RTS and some new story

Lets go!

<.<

I thought the lore was taken from the books?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    Lets pretend Warcraft IV takes 500 years into the game yes? A new RTS and some new story
    Unfortunately, this actually is the only way I think a Warcraft 4 would work...
    Unless Blizzard decides to go derp-mode and go into the future so much, that we get an actual Warcraft/Starcraft crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Glow View Post
    Warcraft 3 added lore by revealing a second continent, with night elves and tauren living on that continent. Plus the creation of the undead to add the forsaken. They can't really added 3-4 new races, unless they also destroy 3-4 races to make room. The lore seems "filled" at this point.

It would be easier for Warcraft 4 to reboot the Warcraft universe and start all over.
    Actually they left a loophole with the fact that much of the burning legion are technically space aliens, like the orcs. You never know what or who you will encounter when you get to Argus to conquer the BL.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    I dont know if it'd work, but I want more warcraft!

WoW has done a great job bloating Lore. Blizzard "Pulled lore from ass for the sake of new raid", and left the long run of the Warcraft franchise severely damaged.

Deleted
    It would be awsome with wc4, but i have somehow lost my hopes for it, since lore somewhat would feels borken between wc3 and wc4 if we need to put in the lore cata did-.. But i surely wants another Warcraft RTS...

maybe wow will eventually evolve so much we go into starcraft

15+ Year Old Account
    i think this is actually part of the reason why Cata feels really hollow, think about it a lot of people played WC3 and now that, all of WC3's story is over with the Lich King being defeated etc, people just don't feel as emotionally attached as they once were, compared to other expansions cataclysm is the first one without a really defined end goal, sure beat deathwing, but compared to other previous big bosses he unlike Illidan or Arthas has a really personal back story.
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tauren Paladins say no.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

I'm worried that there won't ever be a Warcraft IV... I think that the series has evolved into the MMO it is today, and Blizzard will just stick with Starcraft for their RTS games.

Even though I would LOVE to see it :<

15+ Year Old Account
    As a reboot. WoW is bloated with races and shit as it is.

Well first off this should be moved to General rather then General Off-topic. I'll assume this was an honest mistake because I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Anyways, no it does not. You need to get out of the mentality that completely new lore cannot be created in an MMORPG. Yet look at the reality of things.

Just in the scope of Cataclysm we had:
    1. Carine die and be replaced by his son Baine
    2. Thrall step down as Warchief and Garrosh (a character created within WoW) take his place.
    3. Magni diamondized and the Council of Three Hammers, a totally novel organization, take control of Ironforge.
    4. The Dragonmaw Clan rejoin the Horde
    5. The Zandalari attempt to unite all the Troll tribes under one leader
    6. The Cataclysm itself completely reshaping many regions
    7. The Argent Crusade beginning to build a new Kingdom out of the remains of Eastern Lordearan

All of these are completely novel storylines that are very far removed from anything established in the earlier Warcraft games, if a line can be drawn at all. Even in WotLK which was an obvious continuation of what happened at the end of WC3:TFT, the main protagonist, Tirion Fordring, was never mentioned in any previous RTS game.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

why cant WoW expand lore?

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

While i don't think it would be necessary to expand lore, i still want them to make another one

Quote Originally Posted by DerpderpHAMMA View Post
    why cant WoW expand lore?
    Indeed. I really never understood the whole 'WoW completely butchered the lore!' thing. The lore isn't supposed to be a photograph, a frozen history that has a termination point (that termination point being everything having to do with Warcraft 3). It's supposed to evolve and continue expanding.

In any case, I would expect a Warcraft 4 to take place in a very different setting than the Azeroth/Draenor that we know, should it ever come to exist, but we don't need it to 'expand the lore.' WoW can do that on its own, I think.