Deleted

What the hell just happened? Was this a PSU surge?

was just standing in orgrimmar talking to my friend on skype. had mozilla with mmo champ open in the background.
    Suddenly every program crashes with a million error messages and i hear static from my speakers for 0.5 - 1 second.
    thought that meh ill just restart the programs but when i started firefox, mmo champ template was just all weird and misplaced. So i just restarted my PC after all.

Could this of been a surge from my PSU? And if it was should i contact warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    was just standing in orgrimmar talking to my friend on skype. had mozilla with mmo champ open in the background.
    Suddenly every program crashes with a million error messages and i hear static from my speakers for 0.5 - 1 second.
    thought that meh ill just restart the programs but when i started firefox, mmo champ template was just all weird and misplaced. So i just restarted my PC after all.

Could this of been a surge from my PSU? And if it was should i contact warranty?
    Why "from" your PSU? Why not from your wall into your PSU, or your conditioner/strip into it? Or your UPS into it?
    Any piece of hardware could suddenly have surged in the right conditions.

You might have seen your screen flicker or lights dim if it was a brownout, it could have been your PSU, it could have been a dozen other things.

The aliens are comming, put on the tinfoilhats !!!!!!!

[User has received an infraction for this post. Off-topic, useless posts fall under the Spam rule (#7) in the Forum Guidelines. - Cilraaz]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-05-28 at 01:33 AM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Deleted
    Why "from" your PSU? Why not from your wall into your PSU, or your conditioner/strip into it? Or your UPS into it?
    Because it was the cheapest PSU i could afford that was atleast 400w + with 15A on atleast one 12v rail (has 15 on 1 and 14 on the other one)
    http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=209&L=1

I know that you should get 80+ efficient PSU's but that psu was advertised as
    http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=212&L=1 which has a larger fan, more amps and is 80%+.

I contacted the shop that theyre advertising the 6450GP2 version of the PSU even though its actually the normal 6450 version. They asked if i want my money back but i said no because i couldnt of got any better psu for 40 euros and i cba sending the PSU back anyway.
    (this is over 6 months old now though by the way)

edit: Just checked and theyre still advertising the PSU with the GP2 specs for some reason..
    http://www.jimms.fi/tuoteinfo/LC6450...=1306525271585

Because it was the cheapest PSU i could afford that was atleast 400w + with 15A on atleast one 12v rail (has 15 on 1 and 14 on the other one)
    http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=209&L=1

I know that you should get 80+ efficient PSU's but that psu was advertised as
    http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=212&L=1 which has a larger fan, more amps and is 80%+.

I contacted the shop that theyre advertising the 6450GP2 version of the PSU even though its actually the normal 6450 version. They asked if i want my money back but i said no because i couldnt of got any better psu for 40 euros and i cba sending the PSU back anyway.
    (this is over 6 months old now though by the way)

edit: Just checked and theyre still advertising the PSU with the GP2 specs for some reason..
    http://www.jimms.fi/tuoteinfo/LC6450...=1306525271585
    Even if that isn't your problem, I would replace that with a quality 80+ rated PSU. Why go cheap on components. Would you rather have the hot dog on the ground, or the one coming off the grill?

Back on topic, it does sound like a surge of power happened. It could have been within the PSU itself if you didn't see lights flicker. Also, buy a quality UPS so you can get protection from power sags. If you don't, its like throwing money down the drain for every upgrade you do.

Deleted
    Even if that isn't your problem, I would replace that with a quality 80+ rated PSU. Why go cheap on components. Would you rather have the hot dog on the ground, or the one coming off the grill?
    Had a budget of 200 euros for a mobo, cpu, ram, and PSU. (Upgraded from Pentium 4)
    Rather get a x3 @ 3.3ghz with a crappier PSU over an Athlon II x2 @ 3ghz with a better PSU

Had a budget of 200 euros for a mobo, cpu, ram, and PSU. (Upgraded from Pentium 4)
    Rather get a x3 @ 3.3ghz with a crappier PSU over an Athlon II x2 @ 3ghz with a better PSU
    Well, that makes no sense. You are essentially giving the computer some dirty water to drink instead of the purified water. Every component needs to function fluently to make a good system. You cheap out, you deal with the consequences and the quirky bugs. PSU should be higher priority on components. The x3 really isn't much of an upgrade anyway.

Deleted
    Yeah cause a 2.93ghz single core Pentium 4 gives the same performance as a 3 core Athlon II right?
    Anyway. Upgrading PSU is cheaper than upgrading CPU.. easier also.

edit: Im sorry for not having a high end system.
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2011-05-27 at 08:22 PM.

Reading. Learn it. Anyway, cya.

Deleted
    Actually if i have of got a quality PSU like a 450w corsair i would of had to get an AM3 Sempron 145. So yeah.
    my statement stands. budget 3 core with a useable PSU over 2.8ghz single core with a more than useable PSU..