Quote Originally Posted by Obikwan View Post
    I'm really interested in buying this game now that it's B2P, however I would really love to check it out first.

Also would you say that it's CPU intensive like many MMOs (WoW, Rift etc)?

If any kind soul could P.M. me a spare buddy key I would be really really grateful!

Thanks,
    Obi
    Do you still need a key? It's only a 3 day trial though. Will pm it if you do.

@Edge: Funcom still offers them for TSW through the account management page.

re: Tokyo...man I am kicking myself for not logging in this past weekend for the bonus aureuseses or whatever. Wasn't too keen on the scenarios issue since nonstory content isn't a priority purchase for me. That was until I saw the Council certification requirement and the 18hr cooldown on completing a particular scenario (whyyyyy, and for all difficulties...really?) Not sure why they did that.
    Last edited by catcommando; 2014-03-20 at 04:11 AM.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by catcommando View Post
    That was until I saw the Council certification requirement and the 18hr cooldown on completing a particular scenario (whyyyyy, and for all difficulties...really?) Not sure why they did that.
    Scenarios are for the end game focused players, so much like dailies in other games they need to keep the content relevant for a long time, hence the 18hr lockout. Novice, Normal and Elites share cooldown, Nightmares have a separate cooldown. Solo and Duo share cooldown, Group scenarios have a separate cooldown.
    Just to clear things up

Can't wait for Tokyo!

Do you still need a key? It's only a 3 day trial though. Will pm it if you do.

Thanks for the offer mate, but a friend gave his account details to check it out for a couple of days before making up my mind so I'm all settled.

Played a bit of the intro yesterday and I can say it does look impressive on the first look!

10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    The problem is that people approach TSW combat like they do in WoW. Movement is very important in TSW, not just avoiding the bad stuff, but avoiding melee, LoSing etc. I see people in Kingsmouth or even in Blue mountain, standing still and pressing 3 button because that's what they do in WoW and end up dying.
    Funnily enough when I started playing TSW, back in beta, I did this exact same thing, most likely because I had just come from WoW and had to readjust to a new gameplay style. I hadn't read up much on the ability wheel at the time, so I threw together a sloppy spec with 2 random weapons that sounded cool to me at the moment. I learned the hard way when I could barely get through Kingsmouth, and when I finally did, Savage Coast was a brick wall.

Fastfoward 2 years to now, picked up the full game a month or 2 ago, started out and instantly read up on some weapon ability synergy guides. This will help an INTENSE amount. Understand that your active abilities can give the target certain defects, which other actives or passives may take advantage of, and perhaps even add additional debuffs. After learning a bit of the ability wheel basics, I was able to logically piece together a spec where everything intertwined with other abilities and procs.

Now as it sits, I'm in full QL10+ (max tier) with an epic Blade and Chaos focus that I use for signet farming in the Quarry of Blue Mountain. I've also purchased each of the DLC issues up until the latest one (Venetian Agenda) as I don't spend much time in scenarios. Generally keeping to the same build (save for switching out blade for pistol in the early zones) I was easily able to complete nearly every quest in every zone (other than Lairs/Dungeons) solo.

I wouldn't agree with people whom say combat is "clunky". Perhaps it's because not every ability has a flashy particle effect animation like in other MMOs, as someone with a below-average computer, this helps me extremely when running the game as I tend not to lag as much from having tons of effects on my screen at once. Besides, when you're in combat you should be focusing on staying alive and not using spells every millisecond just for the sake of doing something. Sometimes you have to have those breaks of fighting in an encounter that test your awareness as a player, not only towards the opponent, but also the environment.
    Last edited by Revocation; 2014-03-20 at 10:16 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    The combat is very clunky, cool game, but combat ruins it.
    Same here. I bought the game on release and the story telling and voice acting were the best I've experienced in a mmo...but the combat is just bad. Everything boils down to builders and consumers. The dodge mechanic is 'meh' at best.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2014-03-24 at 12:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its weird when people mention the combat, because to me it doesn't feel clunky at all. It reminded a bit of old-school (and maybe current school) of Enhancement Shaman in WoW where most of the work is done out of combat setting up your talents and gear. It you don't have a good synergy between your Passives and Actives then things don't go well. Also you have to be comfortable using a Combo-System. Personally I found a set up I liked that involved Elemental Magic and Shotguns that allowed me to handle groups and single target very well and I thought my set up flowed pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Its weird when people mention the combat, because to me it doesn't feel clunky at all. It reminded a bit of old-school (and maybe current school) of Enhancement Shaman in WoW where most of the work is done out of combat setting up your talents and gear. It you don't have a good synergy between your Passives and Actives then things don't go well. Also you have to be comfortable using a Combo-System. Personally I found a set up I liked that involved Elemental Magic and Shotguns that allowed me to handle groups and single target very well and I thought my set up flowed pretty well.
    They aren't talking about the mathematical system of setting up your actives and passives. That is done behind the scene and naturally has a flow. They are talking about the actual combat itself which it is indeed very clunky with the unoptimized game combined with horrible mob AI and movement.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Same here. I bought the game on release and the story telling and voice acting were the best I've experienced in a mmo...but the combat is just bad. Everything boils down to builders and consumers. The dodge mechanic is 'meh' at best.

I have to agree but I would still HIGHLY reco the game to anyone just for the amazing story and Puzzle Quests. The VO, acting and stories for each zone were better than TOR IMO and that says something. Incredibly creepy and engaging stories especially in the first zone which has a great King/Lovecraft/Carpenter vibe going.

The combat is a little wonky but I appreciate the system and the way abilities synergize with each other.

TSW isn't a great MMO but it IS an amazing single player RPG with some multiplayer thrown in.
    Last edited by mkultra55; 2014-03-25 at 03:58 AM.

I found the story to be uninteresting and the voice acting to be low budget terribleness. Hated the puzzle quests(I hate puzzles).

I liked the modern day setting though and the game is one of the best if not the best looking MMO(if you use SweetFX).

The game just bores me, It didn't ever seem to grasp a hold of me. I tried it again a month ago and couldn't get past blue mountains, too bored.

TSW was not for me apparently. But I respect that Funcom tried something different, they're the only ones who do most of the time sadly

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I found the story to be uninteresting and the voice acting to be low budget terribleness. Hated the puzzle quests(I hate puzzles).

I liked the modern day setting though and the game is one of the best if not the best looking MMO(if you use SweetFX).

The game just bores me, It didn't ever seem to grasp a hold of me. I tried it again a month ago and couldn't get past blue mountains, too bored.

TSW was not for me apparently. But I respect that Funcom tried something different, they're the only ones who do most of the time sadly
    I obviously disagree about the stories but I totally agree about Funcom. I really respect them as a studio because they always try something new instead of just doing the same old WOW clone. I'm sad that more people haven't tried TSW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads up that the game is 66% off on Steam at the moment (both the standard and massive editions). I missed it last time it was on sale but I'll be picking it up to play as a singleplayer experience for the lore/mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I found the story to be uninteresting and the voice acting to be low budget terribleness.
    You're honestly the first person I've heard say this about the voice acting. I'm genuinely curious what you consider to be good voice acting, as it's generally one of the few things consistently praised about TSW.

Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    TSW isn't a great MMO but it IS an amazing single player RPG with some multiplayer thrown in.
    This is pretty much my take on TSW as well and I am someone who has no problems with the combat in that game. It's just once you finish the story, the content is/was not enough. You have 8 dungeons at 3 different difficulties, eventually a raid (with a single boss) and lairs (I won't even talk about the farce that is PvP in TSW). While the end-game PvE elements are all exceptionally made (for my taste at least), the problem is that a) they are very few or very little as content and b) they only serve the purpose of providing means for an insane gear-grind. It's a real shame that Funcom didn't focus more on challenges based on the Ability Wheel and its flexibility and instead focused on the gear carrot-on-a-stick grind.

As a B2P game though, you can't go wrong with it. Especially if you get one or two of the DLCs ("The vanishing of Tyler Freeborn" is a must imo).

Deleted

Funcom Support

I have a great tech support story that I felt I should share with anyone who has or is thinking of getting this game. I bought the game recently when it was 66% off on Steam. The game had been in my wishlist for almost a year, but I never had the right combination of time to put into it, friends who wanted to play it too and a good sale price.

So I got the massive pack and installed it. But it just wouldn't play right, constantly crashing. I contacted support to see if they could help, and after past problems with WoW, I must say I had very little hope. I couldn't be any more wrong.

So the first step in diagnosing the trouble was to do a clean install of the video drivers and examine all the logs the game produces. We went an reset the interface by repairing the GUI (this involved deleting the GUI folder, removing the settings and doing a repair on the game, downloading 2GB of files) This actually resulted in full PC crashes and sending mini-dump logs to support. Recommended to switch from DX11 to DX9 this removed the complete PC crashes again but not much else. The game was still crashing every 2 minutes (not an exaggeration)

Installed DDS (this produces a log of all installed, active and start-up processes), examined the processes running on computer, uninstalled AVG tune-up and pulled windows event viewer logs. Determined that there were processor crashes preceding game lockups/crashes. Identified potential overclocking as cause (I’m not a super computer person, I built my own machine, but I don’t overclock). This is where I found out that the ASUS motherboard has an automatic overclock feature called TPU. There’s a switch on the motherboard and in the BIOS that enables/disables this. I disabled and game stability improved. Now instead of CTD, it minimised, stalled and then recovered. This, I’m told, is called “Timeout Detection Recovery (TDR)”

Now we installed CoreTemp to confirm if the processor was overheating. Processor was behaving itself now. Next step was to tackle the TDR, so we did a fresh install of DirectX. This resulted in the game playing for 30-45 minutes on lower settings before a TDR and 15 minutes when playing on recommended settings

Support asked for the exact make and model of the card. They determined that the brand (Gigabyte) is a little notorious for overclocking the cards in the factory, so asked that I download MSI to monitor the card’s performance during game play. (I also installed Gigabyte’s own tool Guru II as that produces txt logs)
    Magically, while being scrutinised, or as a result of installing OC management tools, everything suddenly fixed itself. I could go back to playing the game with DX11 using the optimised settings suggested by Geforce Experience (mostly 4’s and a couple of 3’s)

I’ve played a lot of games, and I actually stopped playing WoW because they constantly crashed and the only proposal that Blizzard tech support could offer was to format and reinstall windows and WoW. The amount of time that Funcom support put into troubleshooting/diagnosing the issue really impressed me. I have a chain of 40+ emails with tests, changes and more tests. I’m guessing that DirectX may have been a problem, but also the overclocking of the processor and GFX card. This is really amazing, because TSW wasn’t the only game that had problems, Far Cry 3 and WoW were also prone to crashes, and Forced just wouldn’t run at all. I have yet to try these other games as I uninstalled them, but they may have potentially fixed the problem for these other games too and that’d be great.

Many people have verying experiences with support companies, and you hear how you ‘just have to get lucky’ whether you end up with a tech who knows his/her stuff or some goon who’s just following a script. It goes beyond a coincidence that over the course of resolving my problem, and dealing with 3 different people throughout, that all 3 of them exhibit a really high degree of knowledge. And this kind of behaviour really builds confidence in me that the game will also be well built and supported. I’m very likely to try other Funcom games too (in a while, I’ve lots of TSW to play for now!) and I’ll definitely throw more money their way now in gratitude for the impressive service I got, knowing that should I have any more issues, they’ll be there to help.

This is why many games companies prefer to develop games for consoles. The combination of OC processor, OC Graphics card, dodgy DirectX install, and perhaps the video drivers, are really only a problem of PC games.

The three reps I had working on my case were GMs Kanura, Mussagana & Ysbaddaden and they each did an amazing job. They really went above and beyond the kind of support that a games company is really expected to give.

Base copy of the game on sale for $15 USD @ Origin until 4/23:

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/b...ition-ANW.html
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Deleted
    woot where why and how ?

Deleted
    I bought the base game ages ago, when it was a sub game. I enjoyed it, I might play again. Anyone know how much it would cost for all the DLC? £s is possible

Tokyo is coming

Looks twisted, but I have no patience for TSW anymore I find everything dull except for the questing.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Tokyo is coming

Oh man, I saw it yesterday as well. Just when I thought I had a month clear of distractions in order to enjoy Wildstar...