Quote Originally Posted by Wraend View Post

One question I have is, is support/offhealing something one can do in dungeons, or are people pretty much stuck on the Trinity in this game? I'm going to be some pairing of Blood, Chaos, and Fist--I generally dislike full healing but I really like playing support. If that's not an option I'll probably just tank.
    Yes you can, support/off heal, DPS/Heal, Tank/heal, etc. depending on your group. I would suggest trying AR/Blood if you don't want a full heal build.

Deleted
    Support builds work and are desirable. Shotgun/pistols for instance brings a lot of nice utility to a group but will obviously do a bit less damage than a full on DPS build. As for healers, assault rifle healing relies on actually shooting things and damaging them to be able to keep people alive... and as such can be very risky depending on your group setup and your gear. AR/Blood decks require a decent amount of a lot of stats, basically, but they are very good once they have that, providing a sizable chunk of damage output for very good healing.

So yeah, I'm totally sold, I just want to get a trial thing first, because I want to make sure it can actually run decently on my PC, and I've heard some people have performance issues on slower computers like mine.
    If you would like to PM your email, I can send you one. Otherwise, if you don't mind downloading it, you can download Age of Conan and see how that runs. TSW will be a bit harder to run but they use the same engine.

One question I have is, is support/offhealing something one can do in dungeons, or are people pretty much stuck on the Trinity in this game? I'm going to be some pairing of Blood, Chaos, and Fist--I generally dislike full healing but I really like playing support. If that's not an option I'll probably just tank.
    Support roles are very viable, but sometimes an encounter will require a lot of dps. I've actually run groups with two support healers and three dps. That was a normal mode though, so I don't think it would fly in Elite or Nightmare.

Again, PM your email address if you're comfortable with that, and I'll send you a buddy invite. In the meantime, you can go ahead and download the client here.

Edit: Actually I have an outstanding key that I know they're not going to use, feel free to try it: PVBFMDXEQKSFHUTR5QKC
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-05-23 at 06:09 PM.

Thank you very much! As it turns out I got a key from another place though, so hopefully someone else can use that one.

After a looooong, painful download (20+ DC's and launcher crashes) I finally got the whole thing completely installed. 15 gigs turned into 30 gigs because the DL got corrupted at like the 99% point, GAH, pulled my hair out. But finally I'm in, will let y'all know how that goes.

Thanks again, will maybe see some people soon! Off to play for the next three days

Thank you very much! As it turns out I got a key from another place though, so hopefully someone else can use that one.

After a looooong, painful download (20+ DC's and launcher crashes) I finally got the whole thing completely installed. 15 gigs turned into 30 gigs because the DL got corrupted at like the 99% point, GAH, pulled my hair out. But finally I'm in, will let y'all know how that goes.

Thanks again, will maybe see some people soon! Off to play for the next three days
    Awesome! Have fun and feel free to ask questions here if you have any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Awesome! Have fun and feel free to ask questions here if you have any.
    Just don't ask about Investigation missions. Those of us who have lost hair figuring them out refuse to answer. Unless you pay for my hair restoration surgery.

First day impressions:

After my first day with The Secret World...wow. "Feel"-wise it feels very much like one of my favorite single player games, which was Vampire: The Masquerade--Bloodlines. This game is amazing.

This and SWTOR have been my favorite games to play in the past year, and they both did well on this one huge thing: storytelling. Not just "story", as in lore, background, but in the actual telling of the story--putting you, the player, in the heart of this story. That's a hard thing to do in many videogames, but MMO's particularly have trouble with that, because of the open-world system. TSW nails it. In terms of questing, I actually wanted to help out the npc's of this small zombie-ridden town. I ended up doing every sidequest I found, even though the majority of them aren't even necessary. The voice acting, the game world in general, it all "sold" me, I was totally immersed. From the opening cinematic (I made a Dragon character) I was in the game.

This is what I've had such a problem with in many MMO's, even though they're technically my favorite type of game. I play MMO's, first and foremost, to be put into another world...the fact that it's persistent, the fact that there are other players there, gives credence to that world, unlike a single player game, which ceases to exist the moment I turn off the box. This and TOR are the first MMO's that I could honestly play all the way through even if there were absolutely no one else in the world. The "MMO" part of it feels like a happy bonus...no, it feels like the marriage that MMO/RPG always should have been. That it kinda was, back in the early days of UO and Everquest.

I say this, even though I haven't even grouped with people yet, haven't even run a dungeon. I honestly don't care. the "dungeon" aspect of games has been signed, sealed and delivered for years. There are certainly better and worse takes on it, on five-mans and raiding. But I already know I can push buttons in the right order to dps, tank, heal, whatever, kill the big boss, get more loot. It may be a challenge, but the challenge is hardly that interesting anymore.

All that said, this game, what I would consider an absolute genius of the genre, has a big problem: OMG combat can be boring. For sure, it's definitely challenging enough (for a newcomer like myself who doesn't have access to many of the higher abilities and synergies of them yet), but only seven hotkeys? At LEAST twelve, please. Even though there's a huge amount of skills to choose from, at the end of the day, I only get a couple builders, a couple finishers, and maybe a stun or cleanse. It makes combat feel really console-ish, in a bad way...I've had more buttons to push in a lot of FPS games I've played.

And I have had lots of fun in some 4-5 button games before, but if you're going to do that, you have to make sure that the animations at least feel flashy, worth casting. You have to feel like there's some "punch" behind just subtracting from some mob's hp pool. Like your button presses really matter. I don't need (or want) another 48-hotkey system...TOR suffered from that sort of bloat, too many insubstantial cooldowns that you saved on your hotbars for a rainy day just to say they were there. That's bad too.

So, at the end of day one, I would say, storywise, atmosphere-wise? A 10, easily, one of the best in the genre, even considering many single player RPGs. gameplay/combat-wise? like a 4 maybe. Character building, freedom? A 9, it's a truly great, open ended system. Stats (gear) matter, skills matter, and you've got a whole ton of freedom to build and make yourself what you want to be. There could be a bit more variety in the skills, like stealth, shapeshifts, pets possibly (though I know that's all really hard to balance).

But man, maybe even TEN keys, and gameplay would benefit fourfold. It is such an incredible game; too good to have this relatively minor detail handicap it as much as it does.

But not to end on a negative note, and I haven't even touched on the wonderful puzzles and lore. Overall, well done Funcom, well done. This is what I wish all MMO games could be like; when I play your game, for those hours, I am in another world.

(p.s. if anyone wants to say hi, I'm Tidezen in game, picked arcadia as home server)

I really need to start playing again. I just hope it works better performance wise. Last time I played places like London were a slide show.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I really need to start playing again. I just hope it works better performance wise. Last time I played places like London were a slide show.
    Yeah, I keep meaning to jump back in but get distracted with other games >.<

For me I'm waiting for Issue 7. I've done all missions in the game, soloed all the Nightmare missions in transylvania (in green gear, was a blast to finally get Vampire's Nest). I just don't want to manually find a group of random strangers anymore for dungeons I don't know, so I've run out of things to do.

Deleted
    tsw is on 50% sale on steam today (14,99€)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215280/

How is the game doing I am installing it now since I got a better video card.
    I got it right after it went b2p but I haven't been able to play it since because with my last video card I would be lucky to get 10fps.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    How is the game doing I am installing it now since I got a better video card.
    I got it right after it went b2p but I haven't been able to play it since because with my last video card I would be lucky to get 10fps.
    It's doing ok. Pretty stable atm. Most people are waiting for Issue 7 to come out in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    It's doing ok. Pretty stable atm. Most people are waiting for Issue 7 to come out in a week or two.
    Cool.

I figured I would give this a go again. I am personally tired of fantasy MMO's and what I really want is a sandbox MMO like SWG was but there isn't any out right now that is worth a dam.

Really hopping this is a lot different then most MMO's in the lore/design feel.

Payed like 30$ for this and I haven't really played it because my old video card was crap and I could barely get 10fps also the optimization was bad when I tryed the game "right after it went b2p"

Has the optimization gotten better?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

It's about the same, but of course with a good enough graphics card it should run just fine.

It's about the same, but of course with a good enough graphics card it should run just fine.
    Awesome the reason I say that optimization was bad "in my opinion" was because on low settings I could get 20-25fps from guild wars 2 but in TSW I got like 7-10 no matter where I was at and I had to run on the lows res possible.

My new video card "XFX 7750" should run it just fine on low or maybe mid settings.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-06-26 at 06:44 AM.

Awesome the reason I say that optimization was bad "in my opinion" was because on low settings I could get 20-25fps from guild wars 2 but in TSW I got like 7-10 no matter where I was at and I had to run on the lows res possible.

My new video card "XFX 7750" should run it just fine on low or maybe mid settings.
    Dreamworld engine creates some amazing looking things, but damn if it doesn't take a space shuttle to run the games on max. When you finally get into the game, just take your time and enjoy things. Be sure to listen to all the optional character dialogue. Ask any questions you have here, and we'll try to help.

Dreamworld engine creates some amazing looking things, but damn if it doesn't take a space shuttle to run the games on max. When you finally get into the game, just take your time and enjoy things. Be sure to listen to all the optional character dialogue. Ask any questions you have here, and we'll try to help.
    Will do been wanting to check it out and for some reason some of the combat and character design in videos of endgame reminds me of city of heroes....no clue why tho.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-06-26 at 07:07 AM.

Cool.

I figured I would give this a go again. I am personally tired of fantasy MMO's and what I really want is a sandbox MMO like SWG was but there isn't any out right now that is worth a dam.

Really hopping this is a lot different then most MMO's in the lore/design feel.

Payed like 30$ for this and I haven't really played it because my old video card was crap and I could barely get 10fps also the optimization was bad when I tryed the game "right after it went b2p"

Oh this is a different MMO, believe me.
    The engine is beautiful but, performance-wise it has many issues.
    If you are having troubles, remember to switch from DX11 to DX9, the game performs a lot better.
    As Sj said, don't rush it, the questing experience is unlike any other MMO out there.